Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: "The almighty Flintoff" and "the below test standard Lee"

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Because of course Clarke's played so wonderfully so far, hasn't he?...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    When Clarke will play well you will say its a wrong selection.

When Clarke will not play well you will say its a wrong selection.

So again I reiterate, your perception can never be wrong, whatever is the scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Simple.

Richard doesn't think he's good, so that automatically means he's not good.
    Spot on there.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    well he has done ok actually..his innings the other day (despite being dropped on 21) was a real gem, that enabled Australia to really get into a winning position from a position of uncertainty...you could see he was ****ed off to have given a chance and after that he really buckled down and produced the goods..a great knock

In India in his first test, under a lot of pressure , he came in with Australia not in the best position and proceeded to win the man of the match award..two matches later, he scored 90 odd and 70 odd

Vs NZ, he came in with Australia 120-4 and scored a quick fire 140..

ok after that he had a bit of a rough trot, but if he continues to play for the next 10 years (which i am sure he will), those 6 or 7 tests will be seen as a mere blip.

he is obviously a very talented player..the selectors saw that in him,and decided to put him in the team..whats the problem
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Flintoff is a great player as far as I'm concerned. He's England's best and most consistent bowler
    well then ur in big trouble

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Warne has not been playing in the one dayers since 2003. So how would you explain the one day success in 2003 world cup and post 2003
    i was referring to their test side which without mcgrath and warne brings them down from great to decent.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by deeps
    well then ur in big trouble
    this from the guy who thinks Afridi is superman!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    i was referring to their test side which without mcgrath and warne brings them down from great to decent.
    So the selectors are crap while selecting the test squad because of that reason but they arent that crap while selecting the one day squad!?

So the selectors are crap while selecting the test squad because of that reason but they arent that crap while selecting the one day squad!?
    nope they are crap in both cases, just that their test side rely a lot more on mcgrath and warne than their ODI side.

nope they are crap in both cases, just that their test side rely a lot more on mcgrath and warne than their ODI side.
    The logic you gave for the selectors being crap was no matter what they do, McGrath and Warne will see Australia through.

That explanation does not hold good in one dayers. So I would like to know how the side performs in one dayers apparently despite shocking selectors.

The logic you gave for the selectors being crap was no matter what they do, McGrath and Warne will see Australia through.

That explanation does not hold good in one dayers. So I would like to know how the side performs in one dayers apparently despite shocking selectors.
    because ODI cricket is more about scoring runs than taking wickets.
    and in ponting, martyn, gilchrist, bevan(till he was dropped),symonds, clarke, hussey they have a very formidable lineup.

because ODI cricket is more about scoring runs than taking wickets.
    and in ponting, martyn, gilchrist, bevan(till he was dropped),symonds, clarke, hussey they have a very formidable lineup.
    One thing this rings of is 'selection is a thankless job.' If players perform well, its the talent of the players and not anyc redit of the selectors.

On the other hand if a player performs poorly, the blame is put on selectors immediately.

One thing this rings of is 'selection is a thankless job.' If players perform well, its the talent of the players and not anyc redit of the selectors.

On the other hand if a player performs poorly, the blame is put on selectors immediately.
    how are the selectors doing such a brilliant job, when out of all the talent in australia they somehow manage to pick out bracken, williams, watson, hauritz and symonds?
    how can a bunch of selectors who drop michael bevan from the ODI side be considered anything other than a bunch of idiots?
    what would you say about the indian selectors if they decided to drop tendulkar from the ODI side after 2 bad series?

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Nope, not those which move a long way at all.
    A bat's width is not a long way.
    So... how else do you regularly see good batsmen getting out other than poor strokes?
    Just a few examples.

Accurate bowling combined with good field placing resulting in a restriction of runs and pressure building on the batsman, resulting in the batsman trying to score and getting out.

Short-pitched bowling forcing the batsman to play, eventually resulting in a ball being gloved in the air, or hooked to a fieldsman in the deep.

A ball which goes straight on when it may well be expected to move. McGrath regularly gets wickets in this way.

Obviously, a yorker can quite certainly get wickets without moving off its trajectory if it beats the batsman.

Beating a batsman for pace. Either more pace than could be comfortably played, or less.

There are countless others, but all of those can involve no lateral movement or uneven bounce and also do not rely on poor shots.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    When Clarke will play well you will say its a wrong selection.

When Clarke will not play well you will say its a wrong selection.

So again I reiterate, your perception can never be wrong, whatever is the scenario.
    Well I wouldn't think what I think if I thought it was wrong, now, would I? Duur.
    As far as I'm concerned selecting Clarke was wrong and I'm not changing my mind just because he happened to start well.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information