• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting v/s Inzamam - Better Batsmen/Captain

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Inzy is a better batsmen when batting under pressure and as captain. Its so often he has to walk out at 20 for 3 and rebuild the innings under pressure. Compare that with Ponting against england in the Natwest, he simply got out when the team was in trouble. Ponting is a much better batsmen overall though and is by far a better captain.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
You seem to be the only one...... once again your in the minority
Nah I dont think C_C is the only one. I dont think Ponting is a better batsman/Captain than Inzi. Trust me If Ponting was to play/lead the current Pak team, he would be considered worse than Habibul Bashar whereas anyone can lead the current Aussie team.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Nah I dont think C_C is the only one. I dont think Ponting is a better batsman/Captain than Inzi. Trust me If Ponting was to play/lead the current Pak team, he would be considered worse than Habibul Bashar whereas anyone can lead the current Aussie team.
you have got to be a mad man :sleep:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
On captaincy I would agree.

On batting, I'd like to see him face the Australian attack over the last 10 years to determine if the difference in averages is actually relevant.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
On captaincy I would agree.

On batting, I'd like to see him face the Australian attack over the last 10 years to determine if the difference in averages is actually relevant.
1. Your mad too :dry:

2. That wont be happening so why speculate 8-)

King_Ponting

International Regular
Run like Inzy said:
Inzy is a better batsmen when batting under pressure and as captain. Its so often he has to walk out at 20 for 3 and rebuild the innings under pressure. Compare that with Ponting against england in the Natwest, he simply got out when the team was in trouble. Ponting is a much better batsmen overall though and is by far a better captain.
Well now inzy under pressure? A match against the aussies at the WACA springs to mind and what did inzy do in that match hmm apsolutely nothing. One of mcgraths 8 wickets in the second innings

Duncan

U19 Debutant
King_Ponting said:
Well now inzy under pressure? A match against the aussies at the WACA springs to mind and what did inzy do in that match hmm apsolutely nothing. One of mcgraths 8 wickets in the second innings
LOL.
That's all you can come up with? One example? You obviously haven't seen very much of him.

Beleg

International Regular
He was injured during that game in WACA.

Take that game away and he averages better against the Aussies than Rahul Dravid during the last 10 years. (not to mention a hell lot of other players)

I don't think he is better than Ponting or equally as good, but, as we like to say in Urdu, buss 19/20 ka farq hay.

Pre-99 inzamam was an extremely talented but faulty player. Post 99 world-cup Inzy has been among the top seven batsmen of the era.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Duncan said:
LOL.
That's all you can come up with? One example? You obviously haven't seen very much of him.

That was in contrast to the one example that the other poster came up with to say ponting struggles under pressure

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
That was in contrast to the one example that the other poster came up with to say ponting struggles under pressure
Which is why both are pretty mediocre captains and they lack the something 'extra' we see from good/great captains.... once Plan A and Plan B fails, both are clueless.....but Inzy is improving pretty rapidly and off late, in his fledgling career as captain, he has shown a bit more creativity and judgement than Punter has.
Which is why i think Inzy is better....but its not by much.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
Which is why both are pretty mediocre captains and they lack the something 'extra' we see from good/great captains.... once Plan A and Plan B fails, both are clueless.....but Inzy is improving pretty rapidly and off late, in his fledgling career as captain, he has shown a bit more creativity and judgement than Punter has.
But last month you said

1. Fleming
2. Ganguly
3. Vaughan
4. Ponting
5. Atapattu
6. Taibu
7. Inzy
8. Smith

What changed so dramaticaly over the last three weeks.

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
Than how on earth is ganguly a better captain than ponting.... When plan a and b fail he resorts to excessive time wasting and cheating.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
King_Ponting said:
Than how on earth is ganguly a better captain than ponting.... When plan a and b fail he resorts to excessive time wasting and cheating.
where do you think he was cheating? Time wasting, yes, he is a lazy guy, but where did you get this 'cheating' thing? It is a serious accusation, mate...

King_Ponting

International Regular
honestbharani said:
where do you think he was cheating? Time wasting, yes, he is a lazy guy, but where did you get this 'cheating' thing? It is a serious accusation, mate...
I was more referring to ganguly telling the groundsman in india to dish up doctored pitches... That is cheating

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
King_Ponting said:
I was more referring to ganguly telling the groundsman in india to dish up doctored pitches... That is cheating
Dravid was captain in the match you're referring to. Anyway, I could call Gilchrist (since Ponting wasn't playing in that match) a cheat for the Darwin wicket in the Test against Sri Lanka - but that would be ridiculous since the captain doesn't choose the pitch and both Teams have to play on the same pitch.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Dasa said:
Dravid was captain in the match you're referring to. Anyway, I could call Gilchrist (since Ponting wasn't playing in that match) a cheat for the Darwin wicket in the Test against Sri Lanka - but that would be ridiculous since the captain doesn't choose the pitch and both Teams have to play on the same pitch.
But there was newspaper articles fortelling the instruction given by ganguly for the groundsman to "dish up a turning strip". Whilst in darwin/cairns there was no such thing as they were drop in pitches...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
King_Ponting said:
He wanted turning tracks, yes. But what about Warne etc. calling for Chin music during INdia's tour of Australia and said that they wanted bouncy, seaming wickets... Was that cheating too? Every captain wants conditions to suit his team more than the visiting team when at home.. Sourav is just being very open about it, that is all. Sachin and Kapil once got so angry at a green top being prepared at Mohali that they refused to speak to the chairman of pitches committee, Srikkanth. They even ordered that he should not visit any of the other venues for that series and immediately had all the grass taken off.. India were all out for 81 in the first innings and made 500 for 4 or 5 in the second innings. It happens everywhere. Like I said, this is one area you cannot fault Sourav. At the worst, he is just being open about something that happens everywhere.