• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The knee-jerk thread on the damp squib that is powerplay

Steulen

International Regular
Well, this is about the worst possible start for the new fielding restrictions rule. Both England and Australia use up their 20 overs of restrictions in the first 20 overs.

There goes unpredictability and changing the course ot the innings. I sincerely hope that this will not become the trend. And actually I don't really get it. Why give 2 established openers another 5 overs of easy boundaries?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Because they a) weren't established and b) the boundaries weren't easy and c) the conditions dictated you had close fielders in anyway so you might as well use the powerplays there.

It's Headingley conditions - don't read much into it.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
The only damp squib I have seen is the newest dumba*se word "supersubbing".

greg

International Debutant
It's sort of inevitable that it will happen most of the time. Captains realistically can't afford to delay the first power play for very long, because they don't want it applying near the crucial end of the innings when they will want to maintain maximum flexibility. And it will be next to useless delaying it unless you can get a wicket. And the best chance of getting wickets is with attacking fields! So they might as well play the first (and probably by the same logic the second) powerplay straight away. The potential losses of delay will probably outweigh the potential gains. The only exception would probably be if they want to bowl a (good) spinner after 10 overs.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia are technically having to extend their power plays anyway. They have to keep the field attacking to get wickets.

Swervy

International Captain
I think the powerplays will come into bigger effect on Sunday (?)...the forecast is hot and sunny...less movement off the pitch and all that jazz

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
The only damp squib I have seen is the newest dumba*se word "supersubbing".
What was the one I invented a month ago, meaning 'to screw up irredeemably'?

Ah, yes.

I Pont, you Pont, he Ponts, we are Ponting etc.

'Supersubbing' isn't a verb in the same ball-park.

twctopcat

International Regular
Everytime i say the word powerplay i have to put on an american accent, hilarious like those budweiser adverts regarding football. Supersub isn't much better.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It depends. I'd say that if the opposition are 0/70 after 10, we could well see the delaying of powerplays. However, if you take a few early poles, then of course you'll have blokes in attacking positions anyway - you may as well get the powerplay out of the way then.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think powerplay is a stupid name for it anyway, it's actually a DISADVANTAGE to the team that gets to call it - a powerplay in ice hockey is when a team has a man (or 2 man) advantage over another team.