• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Classic Catches

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
John Crawley took an amazing catch on the boundary in a home series against either the West Indies or South Africa (or even someone else) in the 90s....
unfortuanately i don't remember much about it other than that =/

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Slow Love™ said:
There was one in the late 80's/early 90's at the MCG where Steve Waugh ran around the boundary and ended up completing the catch behind the sightscreen - can't quite remember who it was against though...
I was going to mention that one as well. He caught Ambrose in the 88/89 world series.
Classic catch.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was going to mention that one as well. He caught Ambrose in the 88/89 world series.
Classic catch.
Close; Roger Harper was the unfortunate victim in that one. What made the catch all the more amazing was that the Aussies had put down just about everything else all night in that game. Easy and tough alike, the ball may as well have been a bar of soap. Dropping Viv 3 times, for crying out loud, should see the entire team dropped! :D

Blaze

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't see how McGrath's catch is overrated at all. The amazing thing about that catch is that he had so little time to do it, because the ball travelled so fast and didn't get up very high. It wasn't a typical "judging it in the deep" outfield catch, it was closer to something you'd see a mid-on or cover off a mi**** where you have a splitsecond to move towards it and dive or you wouldn't get to it, except traveling way faster. It was simply the best outfield catch I've ever seen.

I have seen at least 5 or 6 that are easily better.

How can you rate McGrath's catch more than Sinclair's?

open365

International Vice-Captain
mmm....the best catches i've personally seen are Paul Collingwood's diving one hander off Hayden in the ashes ODI series which was just amazing,he leaps about 4 feet in the air and plucks it out of the air as it goes flying from the middle of Hayden's bat.

Does anyone remeber his attemptep catch during the same series where he was at cover point,raced to square of the wicket and dived cetting his fingertips under it only to fall out at the last second?

I dont' know why,but i allways remember that one,the amount of ground he covered was scary.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Sinclairs catch was spectacular.

One I remember was from when England toured NZ in 2002. It was the first match, and Andre Adams was bowling to Flintoff. Flintoff smashed the ball towards the cover area. Vincent, at short cover, dived to his right, and caught it one handed full stretch when the ball was barely 2 centimeters off the ground, and somehow managed to get his hand under it. It was an amazing catch, and Flintoff stood there in disbelief, and they had to use the third umpire to verify it. It was given out, and it's always stuck in my mind. Flintoff must've been thinking four when he hit it.

Amazing.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Greatbach took a screamer at square leg against England in 1987/88. Dived full-length up and to his right - juggled it, and caught it again as he was falling.

Martin Snedden's non-catch of Greg Chappell in 1981 - the game of the underarm match. And perhaps the greater travesty.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
From what I've seen collingwood has had a few stunners, the cATCH AT headingley a few years ago was stunning, but just as open 365 says, the one off hayden this year wernt half bad. Then strauss took that stunner at trent bridge during the ashes, also, He comes in for alot of stick (mainly off me) but Geraint jones' catch off strausses midrift was unbelievable

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
some that come to mind:

1. Rhodes catch to dismiss lara iat sabina park 2001
2. Mcgrath at adeladies to dismiss vaughan 2002
3. Ponting to dismiss karthik, mumbai 2004
4. Collingwood to dismiss Hayden, bristol 2005
5. Kirtley at lord's, 2002
6. Ponting to dismiss tendulkar, mumbai 2001
7. steve waugh to dismiss lara, barbados 95 (although it was a bit iffy)
8. m waugh to dismiss laxman, chennai 2001
9. Martyn to dismiss, hinds, adelaide 2000
10. Martyn to dismiss, lara, melbourne 2001
11. Hegg took a superb diving leg-side catch one handed off peter martin a couple of years ago againts yorkshire, cant remember the batsman but it was a superb effort.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
33/3from3.3 said:
Matt Sinclair to dimiss an Aussie(Gilchrist i think)
oh yea i forgot about this one, it was hayden at the telsra dome in 2004 that was a super catch.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think everyones forgetting the best one of all.. The best cricket catch and the best bit of cricket photography ever seen, all in the same instant

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I think everyones forgetting the best one of all.. The best cricket catch and the best bit of cricket photography ever seen, all in the same instant

Pfft. Two hands are for beginners. :p

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
aussie said:
some that come to mind:
11. Hegg took a superb diving leg-side catch one handed off peter martin a couple of years ago againts yorkshire, cant remember the batsman but it was a superb effort.
You mean this game. I aws there, probably the best catch by a keeper I have ever seen.