• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which country has produced some of the finest cricketers?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Got to be Zimbabwe. John Traicos, Craig Evans, Trevor Gripper, Graeme Cremer, Tinashe Panyangara, need I say more?

Slifer

International Captain
Let me put in my 2 cents. If it came down to the number of great players produced when compared to the population I would say the WI wins hands down but overall I would say it is close between the WI, ENG, and AUST.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
But I dont think we will see in the next 100 years of test cricket an areas ability to produce a constant stream of players as the WI's did for probably 30 odd years, that was really, IMO, one of the wonders of sport.
Brilliant post mate, couldn't agree with you more.

cricket player

International Debutant
MMMMMMM.

Can some one please name some of the finest cricketer england has produced because I havent seen one till this date.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
lets see.........

Fred Treuman
Walter Hammond
Graham Gooch
Dereck Underwood
Jack Hobbs
Jim Laker
Brian Statham
Sir Alec Bedser
Colin Cowdrey

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
lets see.........

Fred Treuman
Walter Hammond
Graham Gooch
Dereck Underwood
Jack Hobbs
Jim Laker
Brian Statham
Sir Alec Bedser
Colin Cowdrey
add Peter May
Ian Botham
Len Hutton
Herbert Sutcliffe
Geoffrey Boycott
Ken Barrington
Frank Tyson

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cricket player said:
2,Being The first Man In History of Cricket by Breaking The 100 barrier=Great If not then =what
So doing it at a time when every bowler was timed about 5mph quicker than ever before is better than doing it at sea level?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
cricket player said:
May I know Why India is Ahead of pakistan and can you please name some of the finest cricketers from india and also from pakistan and match them,

Pakistan should clearly be ahead of India as far as I am concern Sorry for being abit harsh on the indian friends here :) but every one knows pakistan has produced more great cricketers than India.
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid
Sunil Gavaskar
Bishan Bedi
Kapil Dev
Dileep Vengsarkar
Anil Kumble
Bhagwat Chandrasehkar

cricket player

International Debutant
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Javed Miandad
Inzamam ul haq
Saeed Anwar
Saqlain Mushtaq

Hands down will crush Indias finest cricketers,In this case pakistan wins.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Javed Miandad
Inzamam ul haq
Saeed Anwar
Saqlain Mushtaq

Hands down will crush Indias finest cricketers,In this case pakistan wins.
The only area where Pakistan "crush" India is in terms of fast bowling. Dravid, Tendulkar and Gavaskar are far better batsmen than Inzamam, Miandad and Anwar, and Bedi and Kumble are better spinners than Saqlain and Qadir. Wasim, Waqar and Imran are much better than the likes of Kapil and Srinath though, so much so that I think Pakistan would win a matchup betwen the two.

Shoaib

Banned
James90 said:
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid
Sunil Gavaskar
Bishan Bedi
Kapil Dev
Dileep Vengsarkar
Anil Kumble
Bhagwat Chandrasehkar
But have india ever produced a bowler like Wasim Akram,Waqar Younis,Imran Khan,Fazal Mahmood,Saqlain Mushtaq or Abdul Qadir?.Saqlain is one of the best odi spinners of all times.Saqlain has taken 288 wickets @21.78.No Indian bowler can do it but in dreams.Can they produce a devastating bowling pair like that of 2W's?.Definitly not.So why have u put India ahead of Pakistan?

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
There were some amazing NZers who would have been greats had they played for Aussie
John R Reid (im not american there was another john reid with a different middle initial no-one can remember)
Stewie Dempster
Bert Sutcliffe
Debbie Hockley (one of the best women players of all-time)
Dan Vettori will probably be when he retires

A big thing that determines a players perceived 'greatness' is the teams sucess, there have been some true greats, Bradman for one but some 'great' players are only very good in a great team.

NZ cricket-wise is a 'nearly' nation and because of it a lot of our best players are forgotten