• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Ganga

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What is it with this bloke!? He scores a mountain of runs when he is on A tours and usually when he is captain and has one of the best techniques I have ever seen from a batsman, yet despite his back-to-back hundreds against Australia the guy can't score runs at international level...very frustrating.

dinu23

International Debutant
yeah, he looks a good player.must admit I haven't seen him actually play. I was bit surprised to see he has played 30 tests.

Mister Wright

dinu23 said:
yeah, he looks a good player.must admit I haven't seen him actually play. I was bit surprised to see he has played 30 tests.
I think that has more to do with lack of options for the Windies. His two centuries against Australia were one of a batsman of test quality, it is just a shame he hasn't been able to reproduce that quality on a regular basis.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
He's in a similar situation to that of players like Graeme Hick, Matthew Sinclair etc.
Prolific first class run scorers but can't seem to buy enough runs at international level.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In other words (and I know this sounds harsh) he's not a good enough batsman for some reason or other.

Craig

World Traveller
If he has had 30 Tests or so and hasn't really taken his chances, there must be something wrong with him at international level.

But hey knowing the WI selectors they seem to miss all of this.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Daren Ganga is one of those West Indian batsmen who was exposed too early. He scored one FC hundred and was in the team to South Africa I believe. He failed miserably then and was doomed to a career of off-and-on cricket. Still, he is young and has been improving at domestic level to a mature batsman. Whilst I'd be hesitant to give him another chance, he is still young with a lot of years ahead of him. It wouldn't be right to rule him out entirely.

I fear the same fate may meet Xavier Marshall, unless he's handled drastically better very soon.

Craig

World Traveller
IIRC didn't he play only one or two FC games for Jamaica when he got picked for the team for the VB Series? I know Holding was mentioning that he was picked far too early and should have been left at home. This was in the Australia 'A' v West Indies at Hobart (the game Lara made that special hundred).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Marshall should have stayed at home and been allowed to play FC cricket. It really wasn't rocket science, but the selectors missed even that trick. They then persisted to play him when he was woefully out of form and depth. He's bounced back well with this opening knock on the A tour, but a lesser players would have had his confidence shot by such mishandling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
In other words (and I know this sounds harsh) he's not a good enough batsman for some reason or other.
Not got the temperament for Test-cricket, in other words.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
He's in a similar situation to that of players like Graeme Hick, Matthew Sinclair etc.
Prolific first class run scorers but can't seem to buy enough runs at international level.
Different situation to Hick and Sinclair, who have obvious technical failings.
Only thing that lets Ganga down - as with, for instance, Ramprakash and Blewett, is the fact that his shot-selection goes down the drain when he gets into internationals.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
even though that clearly wasnt the case with hick. but go on then, keep sprouting more rubbish from all those extended highlights you've watched of cricket in the 90s.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well he's always been one of my favourite batsmen (Much to Liams frustration!)

One of the best techniques in the game.. i don't care about a players nationality when they look so composed and like they belong at the crease.. Give me Ganga over some Twenty20 slugging joe any day..

And then he nicks it beautifully on 17 and I have to wait for ages to see him bat again..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Heh. Well I appreciate the fact that I get to see Ganga score runs (ie domestic cricket) and look supreme in doing so.

Don

State Vice-Captain
daren ganga my second favorite batsman,and the only righthander i like.i say give him all the chances and he'll come through.u'll see.and we could make him cap'n too.

Mister Wright

Richard said:
Only thing that lets Ganga down - as with, for instance, Ramprakash and Blewett, is the fact that his shot-selection goes down the drain when he gets into internationals.
Nah, Blewett had a glaring technical flaw, that gap between bat and pad anyone...

C_C

International Captain
Hick had two glaring flaws - the short pitched one into the body ( Amby's bunny due to that) and the fast yorker speared in ( Wasim-Waqar's bunny due to that).