• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How did this bloke play for aus a??

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
BARMY_LAD said:
We have been short of a good wicketkeeper/batsman for some time and although Flower may not have had a stella season with us, the potential was certainly there...
Despite the fact that Manou was still keeping for you? And that him leaving was probably of long term benefit to South Australian cricket. Why try and paper over the cracks??

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
I dont know how Flower leaving is a long term benefit to us, theres not doubt that he would have been an asset to us, of course that cannot be proven, but it should be a given that once you have signed a contract stick by it. We did everything in the best interests of Andrew and it would have been nice to get the same respect back. Manou is a good player and has been our captain as of late, however he is not a class batsman, he lets us down when he's most needed. That being said, what is done is done and we must look forward, we will be seeing more of Darren Lehmann and with the signing of Matthew Elliott our batting should be a formidable one.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
BARMY_LAD said:
I dont know how Flower leaving is a long term benefit to us
Because with Flower in the team, someone like Callum Ferguson, Ben Cameron or Tom Plant would have gotten less exposure this year, setting back their development a bit and making South Australia's progress a more drawn out process. While now, these guys have been given the opportunity to take that next step a year earlier, having had quality exposure to Pura Cup, and can help build what could well end up being a dynasty, much like what we've seen at Queensland over the last 10 years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
And I maintain that I find it incredibly unlikely that Martyn will finish his career with an Inzy-esque average.
This is why.
Quite a large amount of fluctuation.
But since the 5th Test of that sequence, it's only once dipped below 50.

By contrast, the supposed superior Inzamam has been over 50 for 3 Tests out of a career of 101.

So in summery, Martyn's large fluctuation is all higher than Inzamam's career...

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
So... when was the last time Australia produced a fingerspinner who could go remotely close to being called a World-class operative?
And incidentally... does the case of Prosper Utseya, amongst many, not do you?
collin miller possibly.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:

By contrast, the supposed superior Inzamam has been over 50 for 3 Tests out of a career of 101.

So in summery, Martyn's large fluctuation is all higher than Inzamam's career...
i think richard expects martyn to average nearly 70 for all his career before he can be called consistent or 'better than inzy', whos possibly just about as inconsistent as any other player in world cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:

And you didn't notice that I've included Martyn only since his comeback in 1999\2000?
Obviously it's only dipped below 50 once since then - the point is look at how much it's fluctuated.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
i think richard expects martyn to average nearly 70 for all his career before he can be called consistent or 'better than inzy', whos possibly just about as inconsistent as any other player in world cricket.
And Martyn has never averaged 70, he just did from the very start of his comeback.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
And it may well be first-season fluke that we see so often.
well i'm not not going to be negative, its definately too early to say what his future holds but after one season i wont be assuming its a fluke. After next season i'll be able to make a better analysis of the youngster

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Obviously it's only dipped below 50 once since then - the point is look at how much it's fluctuated.
But it's always fluctuating above what INzamam has attained.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's because his early career where he was largely poor is excluded from the list I gave.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
well i'm not not going to be negative, its definately too early to say what his future holds but after one season i wont be assuming its a fluke. After next season i'll be able to make a better analysis of the youngster
And you typify the attitude that perpetuates amongst most cricket followers, and one that I can't stand.
Still - there we go.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
That's because his early career where he was largely poor is excluded from the list I gave.
So ignore the majority of his career when he has been anything but inconsistent.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't believe what I'm reading - Richard, you bitch and moan about me comparing you to one thing (when I thought it was pretty obvious I wasn't) yet you then go and call Colin Miller a 'freak' (what he did to deserve such a label, I'll never know) and then you say this;

And you typify the attitude that perpetuates amongst most cricket followers, and one that I can't stand.
Just what exactly is the problem with aussie saying that he'll wait until another season has passed before making any sort of judgement on Tait? I mean, what the?!? He's saying it's too early to tell on Tait (like you and a lot of us were saying after Clarke was touted as the next big thing before his first Test) and you're writing him off after he's just had the second best season EVER in the history of Australian FC cricket??? Who's view do you think is more balanced?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So ignore the majority of his career when he has been anything but inconsistent.
The bit I ignored was this part. The reason I ignored it is because it's clearly utterly independent of his career from 1999\2000 onwards - he was pretty poor early on and he's been excellent to differing degrees since his return.
Fact is, though, even while he's been mostly excellent his average has still fluctuated plenty.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
I can't believe what I'm reading - Richard, you bitch and moan about me comparing you to one thing (when I thought it was pretty obvious I wasn't)
I wasn't exactly bitching and moaning, just saying I don't take kindly to being compared to something.
yet you then go and call Colin Miller a 'freak' (what he did to deserve such a label, I'll never know)
Colin Miller was a complete freak - how many bowlers play most of a career as a seamer, then start experimenting with fingerspin at 32 or whatever it was and go on to play with success for their country?
What the hell is wrong with me saying that's freakish?
And for that matter - what has that to do with the gun-nut\hippy thing? Absolutely nothing as far as I can see.
and then you say this; Just what exactly is the problem with aussie saying that he'll wait until another season has passed before making any sort of judgement on Tait? I mean, what the?!? He's saying it's too early to tell on Tait (like you and a lot of us were saying after Clarke was touted as the next big thing before his first Test) and you're writing him off after he's just had the second best season EVER in the history of Australian FC cricket??? Who's view do you think is more balanced?
Were referring to Cullen, not Tait, but that doesn't actually matter.
It's a typical attitude amongst cricket (and sport in general) followers to see the best in everything wherever possible, and it's one I don't like.
But there you go.
I'm in a minority with being, as you've said enough times, curmageonish, and I'll just have to live with it.
Again - what the hell has it to do with me disliking being compared to either of gun-nut\hippy?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wasn't exactly bitching and moaning, just saying I don't take kindly to being compared to something.
I've made it clear that I wasn't comparing you to either of those things but the difference in opinion between those two polar opposites strongly resembles yours and TEC's differences. You, by saying I was directly comparing you to those two things and continuing to do so in spite of my further clarification which I didnt think should have been necessary, are being dishonest. Disagree with my analogy but don't keep making these accusations when I've taken the trouble to clarify that what you're asserting wasn't the case.

Colin Miller was a complete freak - how many bowlers play most of a career as a seamer, then start experimenting with fingerspin at 32 or whatever it was and go on to play with success for their country?
What the hell is wrong with me saying that's freakish?
Freak != freakish.

It's a typical attitude amongst cricket (and sport in general) followers to see the best in everything wherever possible, and it's one I don't like.
But there you go.
No, he wasn't being optimistic or pessimistic; he was just saying it's too early to judge either way.