Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Would Want to Bowl?

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar

Who Would Want to Bowl?

imo they are making things to easy for the batsman by:

1. roping off the boundaries.
    2. making better and better bats. I see Gilly miss hit a ball and it still goes 10 rows back.
    3. limting the amout of bouncers a fast bowler can bowl per over.
    4. placeing Test Matches back to back on a regular basis.
    5. clamping down on anything that might give a bowler some assistance, from dirt to resin.
    6. demanding the completion of min. overs in a day, the Windies speed men, had plenty of time for rest.
    7. having an inquirey every time a pitch shows early signs of taking spin or heaven help us speed on the first day. The pitches in Aust. of late; I think I might even make it to double figures.

True, but in a small way bowling technology has improved, nowhere near to the extent that batting tech has, but still the recuperation programs have improved, and i suppose all the new shoe technology can only help, but batting is the more glamourous aspect of cricket, so maybe thats why they mainly concentrate on batting
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

Quote Originally Posted by cameeel
    True, but in a small way bowling technology has improved, nowhere near to the extent that batting tech has, but still the recuperation programs have improved, and i suppose all the new shoe technology can only help, but batting is the more glamourous aspect of cricket, so maybe thats why they mainly concentrate on batting

I disagree. Bowling is more glamouros IMO because it is more of an achievment to take a wicket than it is to score a boundary.

Quote Originally Posted by cameeel
    How would you say that bowling technology has improved more than batting technology??

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    the way they loook at the mechanics of the action
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    2. making better and better bats. I see Gilly miss hit a ball and it still goes 10 rows back.
    Does not holding a the bat up on high on his grip and having a strong arms and shoulders as well as a heavy not count?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Does not holding a the bat up on high on his grip and having a strong arms and shoulders as well as a heavy not count?
    Yes most certainly, but 20 years ago I hardly remember it happening on the big Australian grounds, unless it was a top edged hook off a fast bowler.

I was just picking Gilly as an example, I see it happen a lot now off the spinners.

Roping the boundary is for safety reasons, so that they dont dive head first into the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by shaka
    Roping the boundary is for safety reasons, so that they dont dive head first into the boards.
    Well why didn't they need it for the other 120 years of Test Cricket?

diving head first is sort of a new phenomenon, like Symonds of the world for example, it was done about 10 years ago or something

Quote Originally Posted by shaka
    diving head first is sort of a new phenomenon, like Symonds of the world for example, it was done about 10 years ago or something
    Aren't the players as smart as they use to be?

Seriously though, when they rope them off at Adelaide, they are so close to the fence (Leg and off side), I just can't see what difference it would make.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Well why didn't they need it for the other 120 years of Test Cricket?
    well quite a few people have injured themselves over the years on the fences....who was it who did their knee in a few years back in The Australian team...seem to remember Kim Hughes do his finger in on a fence back in the early 80's
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

most sixes usually go over the side boards

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    well quite a few people have injured themselves over the years on the fences....who was it who did their knee in a few years back in The Australian team...seem to remember Kim Hughes do his finger in on a fence back in the early 80's
    Rhodes has fallen victim to the sideboard, somebody i remember broke their leg.

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    I've always look at it like this, Yes the batsman might have the game tailored his way in a couple of areas but remember that a batsman only has one life, a bowler has an infiante amount of chances to redeem that poor delivery (he could bowl rubbish all day long but still pick up a 5 fer), if a batsman has a poor shot the chances are he(she) is walking back to the hut.

And at the end of the day Cricket just like anything else in the world is a business to an extent, fans want to see some action and generally it's the batsman hitting big shots that gets the fans going, not dot ball after dot ball.

Iam guessing that your still a purist and love Test matches, just like the rest of us here

As for the Ad boards, I watched on TV only 2/3 seasons ago Alan Donald broke a couple of ribs when he went for a catch and ended up bent over backwars on top of the boards, looked like it hurt a fair bit to me!

England's very own Steve Harmison had a nasty run in with an Ads board as well, that resulted in him bowling 8 wides in a row agaisnt some Aussies outfit, nasty concussion I blieve.
    Last edited by Rich2001; 16-05-2005 at 05:53 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information