• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hear, Hear, Hear : Lend me your Ear

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SJS said:
I am promoting you to chief statistical analyst after that performance :sleep:
haha, thank you for the early promotion! :D I joined the statistics division early on in the piece as I heard you could gain swift promotions, and it seems to be ringing true! I could only be casual on non-weekends due to sleep and work duties, but I'll try to do as much as I can...now, was it one or two sugars in your coffee?

Son Of Coco

Sir Redman said:
:lol: :clap: Brilliant!

Love this bit for some odd reason:

Now prove that Mark Ramprakash is England's best batsman.
I'm taking that one with me for homework...I have TV to watch! Of course, if you want to knock it on the head first SJS be my guest!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
Going by his most recent form, hes a horrible batsman.
In his last innings, he got out for a duck, and there is no evidence to suggest he has improved since. He averages 0 over the last 56 years, 9 months and 28 days.
Are all of you looking for jobs ?

I think we may expand soon.

Send in your bio datas and dont join any competitors in the meanwhile. :sleep:

Sudeep

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
Richard Hadlee - The Great New Zealand Disappointment

Much has been made of his prowess with the ball, however there are some alarming statistics that counter the many claims of brilliance. For example:

Did you know that in his first 3 full test matches Richard Hadlee averaged 119.66 runs per wicket? That's right! In an alarming 3.48837% of all the matches he played in his career he averaged greater than 115 runs per wicket. If we take the 3.48837% and call it the 'Golden Years', it's fair to suggest that anything lying outside this period must indeed be treated as an anomaly, and therefore struck from the record. In stats terms we'll refer to the other 96.5 odd percent of his career as 'extreme variables' - lying outside the reasonable area of expectancy given the results in these three Tests and therefore struck from the record.

Hadlee was a one trick pony, and I implore you not to let the fact that he performed the trick 431 times at an average of 22.29 fool you into thinking otherwise! In his fifth last test he took 2/132...and as the old saying goes - "You're only as good as your fifth last test!".

That makes Hadlee as good as someone who took 2 wickets at an average of 66! Geoffrey Boycott has a test bowling average of 54.57; Mark Taylor - 26.00; Allan Border 39.10.

Read it and weep Richard Hadlee...you were a disgrace to the art of bowling!

Over to you SJS... :D
That's the funniest thing I've read for a few weeks. That's a huge compliment considering I also read two PG Wodehouse short stories during the span.

Brilliant.

Sudeep

International Captain
Here's my request:

Prove that Tendulkar's batting has been more valuable to India than Dravid's, since 2000. :blink:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sudeep said:
Here's my request:

Prove that Tendulkar's batting has been more valuable to India than Dravid's, since 2000. :blink:
Offices are closed for the day.

Our Chief Statistical Analyst has taken some work home already.

We shall attend to this on our return to work tomorrow :happy:

Legglancer

State Regular
SJS said:
Offices are closed for the day.

Our Chief Statistical Analyst has taken some work home already.

We shall attend to this on our return to work tomorrow :happy:

Gentleman,

Their seems to be something you have overlooked in your brilliant business plan. What is your Fee Structure ? I suggest that we accept all major credit card payments and even pay pal ... :D

Let me be of assisstance to you gentleman by graciously offering my services as "Chief of Accounts" in administoring all finacial dealings with OUR client base for a nominal fee.

:D

social

Prince EWS said:
I know this is a p*ss take, but I still like the idea of you living up to this!

Could you please prove that:

1. Trevor Gripper is a superior batsman to Matthew Hayden.
2. Craig White is a superior allrounder to Chris Cairns.
Richard and TEC claim that White is a more talented bowler than McGrath. As their word is sufficient evidence on that score and McGrath is better than Cairns, that issue is settled.

As we have already settled the fieding issue, all we need now is batting stats.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Richard and TEC claim that White is a more talented bowler than McGrath. As their word is sufficient evidence on that score and McGrath is better than Cairns, that issue is settled.

As we have already settled the fieding issue, all we need now is batting stats.
I don't think TEC thinks White is better than McGrath, he just thinks White is a good bowler, or was. Richard however does indeed think that White is better.

social

FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't think TEC thinks White is better than McGrath, he just thinks White is a good bowler, or was. Richard however does indeed think that White is better.
I extend my sincerest apologies to TEC.

Son Of Coco

Legglancer said:
Gentleman,

Their seems to be something you have overlooked in your brilliant business plan. What is your Fee Structure ? I suggest that we accept all major credit card payments and even pay pal ... :D

Let me be of assisstance to you gentleman by graciously offering my services as "Chief of Accounts" in administoring all finacial dealings with OUR client base for a nominal fee.

:D
Hmmm, that's a very generous offer! I'll have to consult with my fellow statistician before a decision can be reached however...

Son Of Coco

FaaipDeOiad said:
Let us not cast this thread asunder by uttering the 'R' word amongst its pages gentlemen! We're all about provable facts here, no assumptions or brillant dallianceswith theory are allowed lest we be sucked deep into a crevice where decimals give way to fire and brimstone!

Changing direction slightly, I'm applying for long service leave SJS - I'll get back on the job tomorrow...Mark Ramprakash is a done deal! I present my findings in a shoot-out tomorrow at dawn. :D

Son Of Coco

Sudeep said:
Were the offices closed today? Day off? :mellow:
Yes, stats can be exhausting. We're also working two different times zones so in reality there's only one of us in during office hours in each hemisphere.

However, despite all this offices are now open for business and as soon as I tend to the Mark Ramprakash question we'll be ready to take more enquiries. Give us about 15 minutes and we're away punters!

Son Of Coco

Mark Ramprakash – England’s Batting Doyen

It’s an often-held belief that Mark Ramprakash’s stint as a test cricketer for England wasn’t all that it could have been. People argue that he’s never made the most of talent he never had in the first place; should never have been allowed to stay in the team for an extended period of time; etc etc. Having been appointed the task of proving that ‘Rampers’ was THE great English batsman of all time I am now prepared to present you with some startling findings:

After an intensive study of his career statistics I’ve found that, due to a glitch in the system, Ramprakash’s averages for batting and bowling were in fact swapped in some sort of conspiratorial smokescreen. Today I’m proud to announce that his bowling average was in fact 27.32, thus leaving his batting average at an amazing 119.25!!! Not only was Mark Ramprakash the best English batsman of all time….HE’S THE BEST BATMAN OF ALL TIME ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!

Given the above findings, one can assume that he’s not only the best batsman ever to play the game, he’s also the best all-rounder! This addresses another question put to us re: ‘Who’s the best all-rounder, Craig White or Chris Cairns’ – extensive research has revealed it’s Mark Ramprakash!

Mark ‘The Rash’ Ramprakash was a batsman who scored a lot of runs against the best teams in the world, with his stunning 154 against the West Indies in 97/98 pointing to this ability to ‘perform under pressure’. He earned his nickname ‘The Rash’ during this series because he was all over the West Indies….

‘The Rash’ was not only a great batsman though; a lot of people get caught up in his achievements on the field and forget what a great conservationist and animal rights activist he was. Mark was known in some circles as cricket’s Noah…he once gave shelter to a a struggling bird that had strayed onto the pitch at Lords – hiding it on the face of his bat, where it would be safe from flying leather. Like Noah, ‘The Rash’ also collected two of each animal in a symbolic arc – in the main, two golden ducks, two diamond ducks, two silver ducks and so on. With the ‘arc’ being the flourish of his bat before dismissal, which like Noah’s Arc, was also made out of wood.

His efforts at sustaining willow growth in both England and India were also overlooked by many, by only using one (practically unmarked) bat throughout his career he did his part in ensuring that these precious commodities were largely left untouched on his behalf.

So it is with great pleasure I present to you the batsman that is Mark ‘The Rash’ Ramprakash! I urge everyone to stand and applaud as one at talent the likes of which we may never see again!

:clap:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
2 stats in that one - disgraceful. :D

How about:

Prove to me that Scott Muller can indeed bowl.

Son Of Coco

Voltman said:
2 stats in that one - disgraceful. :D

How about:

Prove to me that Scott Muller can indeed bowl.
Yes, but stats is all about the conclusions you make from the stats presented!

Oh, and there's actually 3 - 154 was his highest score ever! :D

Last edited: