• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which side has the 2nd best bowling attack behind Australia

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yet domestic bowlers still werent able to focus on his weaknesses??? Last years performance with Tasmania was outstanding. Sorry but can u fill me in on what exactly bevans weaknesses are??
Temperament, from what I've heard through my sources. Not to mention an angled bat to the short stuff. He had a good year, yes, but this year's pitches were pretty flat and he played half of his games on Bellerive, probably the most lifeless pitch in the country.

Maybe the fact that he been so much more success in domestic cricket then Test Cricket is more of a sign that the Australia domestic bowlers aren't that great.
Would surely have nothing to do with flat pitches, would it?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well you get as many flat pitches, if not more in Test Cricket as well, what ur point??
My point is that bowlers have struggled at domestic and international level in general because of the plethora of flat pitches around. The top-level bowlers have bowled well as usual but largely, there have been more big scores in the last couple of years. The point being, the big scores at domestic level, like those at international level, say more about how flat pitches have been than quality of bowling at either level. You're saying that the domstic players' scores are more a function of the quality Australian bowlers and I'm saying the evidence for that is a bit scant and that it's more likely to be due to the lack of sporting wickets.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
With two big "ifs" it has to be Pakistan

1. IF Saqlain makes a successful comeback and
2. If Shaoib gets over his problems with team and returns before its too late.

Shoaib, Rana, Sami, Gul, Kaneria, Saqlain, Malik, Afridi ...thats quite a pool to chose from.

Craig

World Traveller
England easy.

If mOhammad Sami could find consistency, well he could be a whole lot better.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Maybe the fact that he been so much more success in domestic cricket then Test Cricket is more of a sign that the Australia domestic bowlers aren't that great. It could also explain why there are so many batsmen who are belived to be good enough to make any other side in the world.
A very valid point - which is backed up by the paucity of reserves that they have for the full side.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
But Bevan had weaknesses that were exploited that he never corrected.
I disagree that he never corrected them. Sorry but you don't score 18,500 runs @ 58 in Australia and England in domestic cricket if you can't play the short ball. His weakness against it was massively overblown and whatever problems he had with it earlier in his career he certainly corrected later on.

The quality of pace bowling in the Australian domestic scene is only weak in comparison to the outstanding batting talent available. The average bowling attack in Australian domestic cricket is still significantly better than the average bowling attack in domestic cricket in other parts of the world, which is what counts. If you average in the mid to high 50s in Australian domestic cricket, any country in the world would be happy to give you an extended go at the test side, with the exception of Australia, which is why you have people like Hussey, Jaques, Bevan etc floating around in Australian domestic cricket who can't get an international game.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
A very valid point - which is backed up by the paucity of reserves that they have for the full side.
I'd say Lee, Tait, Bracken, Bichel is a pretty fair sort of a back-up for pace bowling actually, and every other country in the world would be happy to have such a "paucity". Throw in your middle of the road bowlers in Australian domestic cricket like Lewis, Wright, Rofe, Williams, Griffith, Dawes, Nicholson, Clarke and you've got a decent pack of pace bowlers involved in Australian domestic cricket. Not all of them are test class, but they don't have to be, and they are certainly a cut above what everyone else in the world faces when playing first class cricket at home. The one area which is distinctly weak in Australian domestic cricket at the moment is spin bowling, where only Macgill (54 @ 24.66) and Cullen (43 @ 30.73) had good years last year. Still, Australia isn't alone there considering several nations can't even muster one decent spinner for their test side (South Africa and West Indies spring to mind), let alone a bunch of them at home.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd say Lee, Tait, Bracken, Bichel is a pretty fair sort of a back-up for pace bowling actually, and every other country in the world would be happy to have such a "paucity".
Over-rated, untried, never done a great deal x 2

If that's the back-up then I dread to think what a couple of injuries would do.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I disagree that he never corrected them. Sorry but you don't score 18,500 runs @ 58 in Australia and England in domestic cricket if you can't play the short ball.
Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Bevan have a great FC record even when he WAS playing test matches...

There is no evidence to suggest anything has changed.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

TBF i would say it better then the England back up, Anderson, Lewis, Trendett and Mahmood and the back up of any other county. Pakistan are probably the only one that come close when it comes to back up.

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
TBF i would say it better then the England back up, Anderson, Lewis, Trendett and Mahmood and the back up of any other county. Pakistan are probably the only one that come close when it comes to back up.
yet its laughable to state that they are anywhere close to the no 2 attack in the world today.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
No one has thrown up the suggestion of sides such as Australia A and the like. Second behind Asutralia it would be hard to not put Australia A's line up righte up there equal or better than Englands. Boasting the likes of Brett Lee, Shaun Tait and Nathan Braken as the pacers and Stuey Macgill as the spinner thats a world class attack!!!!!
nooooooooo way mate......... How can you say an australian 2nd XI is better than this current England bowling attack. Firstly Harmison on top form is better than all those aussie 2nd choice fast bowlers that have played test cricket, Lee definately has not yet done anything special in test cricket though that will surely come to an end soon.

Bracken had a poor start to his test career and for me has not fullfilled his potential has yet in test cricket. So at this stage he is by no means better than any of the english fast bowlers. But one he keeps performing in the pura cup & possible county stints over here in the future, he will most definately get his chance in test cricket again.

Shaun tait has not played any form of international cricket let alone test cricket so saying he is better than England's bowlers is nonsense

MacGill is probably better in most conditions than Gilo, though on turning tracks their records are pretty even.

But this thread is mainly to compare the other international bowling attacks to australia to determine who is second best, so posting this statement is a bit irrelevant mate. :dry:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
nookie_lk said:
It's definitely Pakistan..if akthar and sami are fully fit....with Rana and danish....man...thats a good enough bowling attack to trouble any team in the world....not fogetting the part time bowlers Afridi and malik....some teams dont have quality bowlers who are good as them even.. and England being the second best bowling side is really not true...come on... harmison does not perform well outside England and Giles is just a guy who bowls negatively and gets the odd wicket. So i dont see why England is classed as a great bowling side... i would rate...

1) Aus
2)Pak
3)SA
4)SL
5)Eng
6)Ind
7)WI
no one never said eng;and is classed has a great bowling attack, but you must agree that its england's bowlers performances over the last 12 months that have put them in the position they are right now in test cricket. England is the only team where their bowling attack has worked has a unit similar to how australia works.

I agree that if you look at the pakistani attack n u see names like Akhtar, Sami, Naved, Kaneria, Saqlain, Shabbir, Umar-gul you would say that its definately a talented group but i wonder if they can bowl together has a unit

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

that may be true but no other international side can pose a better back up to their main bowlers has australia have

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
yet its laughable to state that they are anywhere close to the no 2 attack in the world today.
There close but England and Pakistan shade, Pakistan in out and out quality and England in depth.

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
There close but England and Pakistan shade, Pakistan in out and out quality and England in depth.
no they're not. its simply insane to suggest that bracken test average of 60, tait- never played a test, brett lee averaging 40 over the last few years and macgill are anywhere near the other bowling attacks.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
no they're not. its simply insane to suggest that bracken test average of 60, tait- never played a test, brett lee averaging 40 over the last few years and macgill are anywhere near the other bowling attacks.
Well consider England is made of a side that has 5 bowlers who all average over 30 aganist proper teams and Pakistan top bowling side contain two bowler who also are unproven at the top level and Ahktar who is as up and down as Brett Lee. Also it is very likely that Razzaq and Afridi will be part of their top 5 bowlers and either Gul or Shabbir wont be in the side. With those two in then Pakistan get even closer to a possible Australia A. I don't think it is as insane as you think. But granted i did say that they were below.

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
Well consider England is made of a side that has 5 bowlers who all average over 30 aganist proper teams
thats garbage, because lee and co average around 40 against the same teams. bracken averages 60.

chaminda_00 said:
and Pakistan top bowling side contain two bowler who also are unproven at the top level and Ahktar who is as up and down as Brett Lee.
yet he averages 24, lee averages 40.

chaminda_00 said:
Also it is very likely that Razzaq and Afridi will be part of their top 5 bowlers.
hurrah the Aussie A bowlers are better than part timers!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
thats garbage, because lee and co average around 40 against the same teams. bracken averages 60.
That even bigger garbage who averages 40 that played more then 4 games:
Lee (31.4)
Bichel (33.6)
MacGill (30.7)

Nowhere near 40, stop talking garbage