• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How infuriating is this?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Yesterday, in my first match as captain of my school 3rd XI team (I'm not very good), the opposition rack up 185-5 in their 30 overs. Our team have very fragile confidence, and therefore everyone was pessimistic about our chances of winning from that position - especially seeing as we had dropped five good chances in the field.

However, I told everyone at the break that if we went out with a positive mindset and took things one over at a time, a second victory in three seasons was not out of the question - I went out to open the batting, and my partner and myself got off to a rocket start; we raced along at 8 or 9 an over for the first five or six, without playing any big shots, until my partner swung across the line and was bowled. Our no3 is a decent player, and usually plays for the 2nd XI, so with him alongside me I felt we had a chance at a good partnership. We knocked it around, in a very professional way, at about six an over for a good twelve overs, and were beginning to construct the perfect run chase as we built a partnership of 79.

It was then that it began to rain. The umpire said at the beginning of the 21st over that if it didn't stop by the end of the over he'd abandon the game - my partner decided to slog because the game was about to be abandoned, and got caught at long-on, which meant the game was abandoned immediately, as it started to rain heavily.

Not only was it infuriating that we were on the verge of a thrilling run-chase, had wickets in hand and sufficient time, given the aggressive nature of the batsmen to come, to knock off the runs, but it was also infuriating that in my first match as captain, I was denied the opportunity to win the game, and I was on 47 not out when the rain came! I've only ever scored one 50 before (71), and I had no idea what I was on until the match ended - there were at least two shots that were inches from being four instead of one, as well. All in all, a really frustrating day!

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Better luck in your next match, you seem to be in good form at least and time in the middle is priceless

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Thanks - first match of the season because of rain, it was just nice to be out in the middle again after a long time. Felt in really good nick the other day at nets, and although my batting yesterday wasn't quite as technically sound as it could have been (a few slashed cuts over point which nearly got me out, couple of leading edges trying to work to leg, and couple of attempted hits over the top which I didn't catch right and nearly was caught off), I played a couple of real quality shots. Most of my runs come between mid-wicket and mid-off, I hit one on-drive over mid-on which was unlike me (usually can't play the on-drive to save my life), and creamed a charge-pull over mid-wicket for four off their most accurate bowler. Never played that shot before!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You said your team was low on confidence. Even though you guys didnt win the match, you should take heart from the performance and atleast now start believing in yourselves.

There is always one specific match which makes a team believe it can give a good fight to any one and win on their day. India had a similar match before the 1983 world cup in the West Indies where they beat the West Indies in a one dayer. A lot of players go through that and when they score a century against the best attack, they believe they can do so against any one. Justin Langer said a similar thing about himself that after he made runs against the Windies attack containing Ambrose and Walsh, he can always take confidence from that and face any attack in the future.

Its not some thing to get angry from. When you guys can restrict a team to 185 despite dropping 5 catches and win the match which you would in all probability, I am sure you guys can do better things.

Dont htink of it as an infuriating one off but take heart for the long term.

Cheers.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Thanks - I had already made a mental note to focus on the positives to take from this game when we go into the next, because once the team realise we were in a very strong position in this game (especially given that I seemed to be the only one who believed we could win at the halfway point) they should take heart from it. However, I want them to realise also that getting close to a win isn't enough - we want to make sure we hold our catches, bowl straight, bat confidently and field aggressively, that will win us games.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah, how many overs do you have to play in a 30 over match before you have a result - if they worked on that system you should have had more than enough. We play maximum of 75 overs first innings in a two day game and you only have to get 30 in the second innings for it to be declared a match.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
What were you on after twenty overs? I'll do you a duckworth-lewis result if you like :)
Haha...cheers! They made 185-5 as I said, we lost the second wicket at 118 after 20.2 overs, the match was abandoned straightaway. Duckworth-Lewis might say we lost, but I though we'd have won, because our number 5 is a very clean striker of the ball who is has a great eye for the ball and a penchant for six-hitting - once hit 8 in an innings of 80-odd in an under-15 game.....

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
Haha...cheers! They made 185-5 as I said, we lost the second wicket at 118 after 20.2 overs, the match was abandoned straightaway. Duckworth-Lewis might say we lost, but I though we'd have won, because our number 5 is a very clean striker of the ball who is has a great eye for the ball and a penchant for six-hitting - once hit 8 in an innings of 80-odd in an under-15 game.....
Who was the game against? You at Sherborne school ?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
Target with 8 wickets and 10 overs left = 110
Target with 7 wickets and 9 overs left = 119