• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - ICC Inter-Contential Cup 2005

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
ICC Inter-Contential Cup start yesterday with Kenya playing Uganda . Steve Tikolo was the hero for the day for Kenya scoring 149 to give them a total of 319. Uganada were 3/37 at stumps anf look like they may struggle with the bat without their usually captain Junior "Something", can't think of his last name. With the top players from Kenya coming back Tikolo, Kenny Otieno, Collin Obuya, Tomas Oboyo and Martin Suji i kept Kenya to be too strong.

PS: I did a search and couldn't find another thread on this.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Uganda is the weakest team in the group, so no surprises there. Interesting to compare the Kenya XI now with what it was in the semis in Sharjah last year:

Now: Otieno, D Obuya, Ouma, Tikolo, Modi, Odoyo, C Obuya, Mishra, Suji, Onyango, Ongondo
Then: M Patel, Mishra, A Bhudia, Aga, B Patel, K Patel, Onyango, R Bhudia, Bhimji, Janmohamed, Shah

Evidently Kenya are much stronger now than last year, should be interesting to see if they can win the cup this year. I reckon Ireland are the European favourites for reaching the semis, they're putting a lot into their cricket with the ICC trophy coming up in July. Europe and Africa are definitely the closest groups though.

Worth noting is that Malaysia have gone out of the Asian group for Hong Kong - wondering how these decisions are made...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel_Vimes said:
Now: Otieno, D Obuya, Ouma, Tikolo, Modi, Odoyo, C Obuya, Mishra, Suji, Onyango, Ongondo
Then: M Patel, Mishra, A Bhudia, Aga, B Patel, K Patel, Onyango, R Bhudia, Bhimji, Janmohamed, Shah

Evidently Kenya are much stronger now than last year, should be interesting to see if they can win the cup this year.
Interesting indeed !! Notable is the large number of Indian Kenyans then as opposed to the African Kenyan predominance in the Team now. I hope the Kenyan Cricket Association has sorted out its problems with regard to this and other issues. They need to keep a right balance to promote cricket in Kenya .

Samuel_Vimes said:
Worth noting is that Malaysia have gone out of the Asian group for Hong Kong - wondering how these decisions are made...
I am disappointed to hear that !! :@ Malaysia is part of Asia and has a strong Cricket following among the Indian, Sri Lankan and English/Aussie Educated Malaysians as well !!

In fact number of the Provincial Sultans etc are Oxford/Cambridge/English University Educated and some play and most love Cricket !! :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Uganda is the weakest team in the group, so no surprises there. Interesting to compare the Kenya XI now with what it was in the semis in Sharjah last year:

Evidently Kenya are much stronger now than last year, should be interesting to see if they can win the cup this year. I reckon Ireland are the European favourites for reaching the semis, they're putting a lot into their cricket with the ICC trophy coming up in July. Europe and Africa are definitely the closest groups though.
I kept a Kenya v Europe winner final, unless they meet in the semis. If Davison plays Canada are also a shot, but i think they will be knocked out in the semi if they play Kenya or one of the European sides.

Samuel_Vimes said:
I think they have qualifiers for this tournment and the Asia Cup. Hong Kong finished runners up i think to UAE and then Nepal third. The only problem with this is that only the Associate member can take place and now in Asia some of the Affilites are stronger then Associates. Reason being is that the Middle East sides Oman, Kuwait etc are flooded with Pakistan Nations. Oman finshed second in the last Asia Trophy, so in theory they are the 2nd best in Asia, but can't take part in this tournment as they are still Affilates.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Right, that probably makes some sense.

Tell me about that split between Associates and Affiliates - it means Norway can never get above the second level in Europe, no matter how good the team may get...(not that they're that good, but they had a good fight when they were at that level).

Anyway, Kenya lead by 236 with four wickets in hand before the third day, seem to have self-destructed in chase of quick runs - Isaneez top wicket-taker for Uganda with two for 18, and considering his first innings effort of 14-3-58-0 that doesn't sound too good. Tikolo top-scoring with 54, David Obuya making 21 and no one else passing 2 (except extras, with 4 - a commendable effort). Earlier on, Thomas Odoyo shone for Kenya with five for 34, but Ugandan wicketkeeper Lawrence Sematimba (57) and spinning all-rounder Franco Nsubuga (37) saved some grace with a partnership of 59 after the top order had faltered to 84/6.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Right, that probably makes some sense.

Tell me about that split between Associates and Affiliates - it means Norway can never get above the second level in Europe, no matter how good the team may get...(not that they're that good, but they had a good fight when they were at that level).
But if you guys win the ECC Trophy don't you guys qualify for the Div 2 Championship and play aganist Associate sides. I think the Associates and Affiliates works ok in the other regions but it is a bit of a joke in the Asia. Also isn't the first level sides in Europe (Ireland, Holland, Scotland, Denmark) are a fair distance in standard to the 2nd Level. This was proabably shown by Italy's performance in the ICC WQS.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
But if you guys win the ECC Trophy don't you guys qualify for the Div 2 Championship and play aganist Associate sides. I think the Associates and Affiliates works ok in the other regions but it is a bit of a joke in the Asia. Also isn't the first level sides in Europe (Ireland, Holland, Scotland, Denmark) are a fair distance in standard to the 2nd Level. This was proabably shown by Italy's performance in the ICC WQS.
Yeah, very true that.

Actually, it's only Ireland, Holland and Scotland who are any decent now. Denmark are falling behind badly - hopefully Kent will release Amjad Khan for the ICC trophy, otherwise their only decent player is Søren Vestergaard - and he's nearing 40.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yeah, very true that.

Actually, it's only Ireland, Holland and Scotland who are any decent now. Denmark are falling behind badly - hopefully Kent will release Amjad Khan for the ICC trophy, otherwise their only decent player is Søren Vestergaard - and he's nearing 40.
I hate how county and other FC Teams have control over a player's availabilty for the ICC Trophy and Inter-Contenial Cup. It looks like Scotland might have Gavin Hamilton, Dougie Brown and John Nlain all available for the ICC Trophy, so maybe their a chance of Amjad Khan. But i don't think seem to have the power that Scotland or Holland have. Maybe they need to bring something in like they have in football. A club doesn't release their player then they get banned from two domestic games.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Money rules, I am afraid - and Kent has a heck of a lot money than the Irish Cricket Board...

Hope Joyce gets a chance for Ireland, too.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Money rules, I am afraid - and Kent has a heck of a lot money than the Irish Cricket Board...

I read an article on CricInfo about him, it seems as if he wants to play for England, so if he plays for Ireland in the ICC Trophy or Inter-Contential Cup then he has to wait another 4 years to play. After this ICC Trophy he can play for England, so most likely he wont play unless he changes his mind about trying to play for England.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
That's a point, of course.

However, even though he has talent, there's a few guys in the line ahead of him...
Yeah but his only like 26, so he probably got time on his side to improve and get infront of the others. Mind you if Irealand qualify for the World Cup then he might change his mind, the chance to play in a World Cup is once in a lifetime. Whereas Inter-Contential Cup, European Championships come around ever year and his already played in a ICC Trophy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
May I ask why Shah and Aga arent playing for Kenya?

Has their selection policy gone the complete opposite of what it was before (and you know what Im talking about here....) or are they just injurred?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Are you sure that playing for Ireland would rule him out from playing for England? (i.e. the Gavin Hamilton Scotland to England in 1999).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:

It's a heck of a dilemma...

Shepherd Neame or Guinness.

Decisions, decisions...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Prince EWS said:
May I ask why Shah and Aga arent playing for Kenya?

Has their selection policy gone the complete opposite of what it was before (and you know what Im talking about here....) or are they just injurred?
Ravi Shah is out with a long knee injury, while Aga has not been contacted by the selectors (possibly cos he's in England?). But as Tanmay Mishra bats at eight without bowling, I don't think they have any racial issues...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yeah, very true that.

Fredrik "I fielded for England once" Klokker?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Joyce is definately playing for Ireland, and it won't do anything with regards his English qualification afaik, as the piece i saw on ceefax says that he becomes qualified for England on 1 July, which is the day he'll be playing for Ireland!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4476541.stm

On the day that he becomes qualified to play for England, Ed Joyce could be playing for Ireland in the opening stages of the ICC Trophy.

Joyce, who hit 192 for Middlesex on Friday, has been given permission by his county to appear in first stages of the event in Belfast from 1-7 July.

The Dublin-born left-handed batsman will back at Lord's on 8 July for the Championship game against Hampshire.

Ireland are also negotiating the release of Niall O'Brien from Kent.

While Joyce, however, is keen to help Ireland, he has always made it clear his number one priority is to qualify and play Test cricket for England.

The England and Wales Cricket Board contended that Joyce, 26, completes his four-year residential term on 1 July and is awaiting and are awaiting the International Cricket Council's sanctioning.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
HAHA VRA(dutch club) just beat Denmark.....a club beats Denmark. thats poor (by 3 runs though xD)