• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World wicket keepers, your rankings.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The Daddy said:
Jones is definitely the best batsmen out of the lot of them, but he is also the worst keeper. It's a difficult choice, one which I wouldn't like to make. :)
Apart from Gilchrist, then I have to say Sangakkara is the best batsman. He could be in there as a batsman.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
redbaron said:
Akmal is by far the best keeper around these days (keeping wise). But the whole packagage definitely goes to gilchrist and sangakarra. Akmal is excellent against spin and top quality against pace aswell. he keeps agianst danish, and akhtar which is not easy, but he does with visual ease. i reckon hes the best keeper around for years to come.(keeping skill wise)
:laugh:

Nooot by a long shot.

psxpro

Banned
The Daddy said:
Jones is definitely the best batsmen out of the lot of them,
Best out of the lot???
Gilchrist is in a league of his own.
Jones isn't anywhere as good a batsman as sangakarra
And mccullum is better than jones too

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
redbaron said:
Akmal is by far the best keeper around these days (keeping wise). But the whole packagage definitely goes to gilchrist and sangakarra. Akmal is excellent against spin and top quality against pace aswell. he keeps agianst danish, and akhtar which is not easy, but he does with visual ease. i reckon hes the best keeper around for years to come.(keeping skill wise)
Only played 13 tests - insufficient evidence to say that he's even proven at test level, let alone the best.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
psxpro said:
Best out of the lot???
Gilchrist is in a league of his own.
Jones isn't anywhere as good a batsman as sangakarra
And mccullum is better than jones too
i think he was talking in terms of England, i.e. Jones, Read, Prior, etc

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The Daddy said:
Jones shouldn't be in the list, Chris Read is a far better keeper.
its also meant to be a list of the keepers in the current test teams, when and if read gets a recall he will be eligible for entry to the list.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i think akmal is near the best gloveman going around. he keeps to kaneria exceptionally, who would probably be the hardest bowler to keep to after murali, because of his high speed, bounce and his variation is wider physically (he turns the ball a fair distance both ways). compare this to warne who only turns the ball one way (rarely bowls wrong'uns) and all his variations invovle the ball going straight on in different manners. akmal also kept really well to the pace bowlers while he was in australia.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
i think akmal is near the best gloveman going around. he keeps to kaneria exceptionally, who would probably be the hardest bowler to keep to after murali, because of his high speed, bounce and his variation is wider physically (he turns the ball a fair distance both ways). compare this to warne who only turns the ball one way (rarely bowls wrong'uns) and all his variations invovle the ball going straight on in different manners. akmal also kept really well to the pace bowlers while he was in australia.
Dont know if he is THE best, but you are right, he is very good.

Look a natural. Takes the ball effortlessly with the minimum of fuss which is the hallmark of a really good keeper.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
LongHopCassidy said:
Apart from Gilchrist, then I have to say Sangakkara is the best batsman. He could be in there as a batsman.
he sometimes is for sri lanka, doesnt he bowl a few overs every now and again for them as well ?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
he sometimes is for sri lanka, doesnt he bowl a few overs every now and again for them as well ?
Hmm no, he bowled a couple overs in Test but that when we are heading towards a draw or something. He not a bowling option by any stretch of the imagination.

mofo123

U19 12th Man
Blaze said:
A keeper can't really create a chance.. they can only take what is given to them.. fair enough they can convert half chances but the fact that he has more dismissals is realy irrelevant.

A good stat would be a catch/drop ratio
true true :yes:

irfan

State Captain
My keeper list wud be (combination of batting+keeping skills)

1. Gilchrist (by a mile)

2. Sangakarra (most polished batsman in this list)
3. Boucher (consistent over a long period of time)
4. McCullum
5. Akmal (early days, but impressive and efficient)
6. Taibu
7. Jones
8. Karthik (needs to show more with bat)
9. Browne (getting on a bit)

and sir bloody idiot is that dipper on ure photo image thing

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hit the nail on the head there
Geez, are you right there?

Funny how you provide no examples to prove your point. So easy to throw accusations of bias around with substantiating them isn't it?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Top_Cat said:
Geez, are you right there?

Funny how you provide no examples to prove your point. So easy to throw accusations of bias around with substantiating them isn't it?
How about...

Your view that McGrath and Gillespie are the two best pace bowlers in the world, and Warne is the best spinner.

Your view that Gillespie is a match for most of the Windies Test bowlers of the 1980s, and would get in nearly all teams in Test history.

Your view that Gilchrist is the best keeper in the world.

Your view that Ponting is as good a Test batsman as Dravid.

Your view that the 1980s West Indies side are no match for the current Aussie side.

Deny it all you want, keep hold of that deluded belief all you want, but I and many others have noticed your clear bias many, many times.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath is the best pace bowler in the world by a long way, Gillespie is in the top three or four if he isn't second outright.

Gillespie is a match for the likes of Roberts and Croft, but probably behind the likes of Holding, Marshall and Garner.

Gilchrist is the best keeper in the world, or very close to it. If he's not, who is?

Ponting is not as consistent as Dravid and tends to struggle a bit against spin on tricky pitches. He is a better player in some conditions than Dravid as well, although the gap is not as big, and he's a far better one day batsman. Overall Dravid is slightly ahead, but not by a long way.

The West Indies side of the 1980s are pretty closely matched to the current Australian side (or the Australian side of 2001/02) in my view. If I had to choose one I'd probably lean very slightly towards the Australians because of the Warne/Gilchrist factor, but there's not a huge gap.

All of them are arguable, but none of them are ridiculous claims at all.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I never said that these opinions were all wrong, some may be perfectly correct, but the fact that he holds all those positive views about Australia/Australians is more than mere coincidence and implies a certain level of bias on his part. That in itself is not a problem, very few people are totally unbiased and the likes of Scallywag are far more so, but the problem is his persistent denial of this obvious bias.