• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Broad: The rogue match referee

Status
Not open for further replies.

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
ICC needs to take a serious look at this fellow IMHO.

Seems to be in it in order to create a name for himself. Almost all the calling of bowlers in the last 2-3 months are in games with this chap in charge, and he seems to have handed out bans also targetting the sub-continental sides.

A real "poacher turned gameskeeper" situation as Cricinfo put it. He has ZERO qualifications to do this job, he was one of the least disciplined players ever in the history of county cricket.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vvk said:

Seems to be in it in order to create a name for himself. Almost all the calling of bowlers in the last 2-3 months are in games with this chap in charge, and he seems to have handed out bans also targetting the sub-continental sides.

A real "poacher turned gameskeeper" situation as Cricinfo put it. He has ZERO qualifications to do this job, he was one of the least disciplined players ever in the history of county cricket.
What his county discipline record???

BTW it impossible to bowl the doosra the way the guys bowl it know without it being chucked, so you can't blame him for reporting Murali and Harbarjan. Also someone else reported Blessing Mahwire, he got reported in between Murali and Harbarjan.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
vvk said:

Clearly your post is influenced by the ban on Ganguly who clearly was asking for trouble. He showed absolutely no regard for the law on over rates and seemed totally unconcerned when India were so obviously falling behind in the last match. Today, inspite of the warning, he went on with a Saddam-Hussain-like up-yours attitude, as if he was going to test whether the refree had the guts to do anything about it. It sounds silly but that is the only way to explain his total disregard for the trouble that was looming large for him.

But for the fact that it seems too ludicrous to contemplate, I would say, he might have intentionally brought this upon himself to avoid the embarassment of being dropped from the side. This, I agree is far fetched, but what is one supposed to make of his complete disdain towards what was coming and every one could see it. Surely he knew he was going to get it.

What you are talking about the calling of bowlers is ridiculous. If anything bowlers have been dealt with too leniently by ICC and its match refrees as far as the chucking controversy is concerned.

To keep harping about biased-towards-subcontinent-players is going to sound like whining to the rest of the world and its better we set our house in order before we take such a stance.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
Clearly your post is influenced by the ban on Ganguly who clearly was asking for trouble.
Agreed. Rather than make excuses, it's time the people that matter set things right.

Besides, it may not be so bad a decision after all.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr.Broad obviously stands out as one of the few men in the ICC with any b****cks.. Im not surprised he's getting shot down for it :D.. What are the Indians going to do? Go on strike like they did in SA?.. Pathetic..

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Mr.Broad obviously stands out as one of the few men in the ICC with any b****cks.. Im not surprised he's getting shot down for it :D.. What are the Indians going to do? Go on strike like they did in SA?.. Pathetic..
They better not- Broad's doing them a big favour this time.

Scallywag

Banned
vvk said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt the on field umpires report Harby and it was just Broad that made the report after the umpires made the report to him. Also dont the bans get handed out by the discinplinary board and not the match referee.

Broad is just doing his job properly and people who dont really know what is going on are just targeting him because they dont like him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Langeveldt said:
yes i agree with the statement about broad, he has made a very brave move and he should be commened for that as ganguly has been warned for this slow over rate several times and paid no heed. as for the indians strike in south africa i cant remember it that well, wasnt it something about sehwag having a cough sweet and rubbing it on the ball and he got banned ? anyone have the correct account of that ?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
sa was different...i am not saying they should've gone on strike but what mike denness did was a complete overreaction and way too one-sided....

C_C

International Captain
Like i said for the umpteenth time, those of you who take an anti harby/murali attitude with regards to chucking know zilch about the science behind it.
repeat after me 10 times before bed every night : If Murali is a chucker, Michael Holding and McGrath are chuckers. If They arnt chuckers, Murali isnt.

Clearly consistent thought, logic and objectivity eludes a remarkable portion of the human species.

And i agree that Chris Broad is NOT consistent in his job. Too often he penalises the subcontinental teams for similar behaviour from non subcontinental teams.... but that idiot has no clue about culture barrier and its laughable that a man of his record should be a disciplinarian.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Broad is just doing his job properly and people who dont really know what is going on are just targeting him because they dont like him.
Sounds about right - it appears that even when officials do the right thing they get shouted down nowadays.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
happens in most of the major sports, look at the incident with chelsea and that referee frisk, although on that occasion frisk was guilty and mourinho was screwed, but thats besides the point, this is a regular occurance.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
The thread seems to be influenced by the ban on Ganguly. Can't say I have any sympathy for Ganguly. He was a repeat offender and deserved some sort of a ban; the rules apparently say it is 6 matches. fair enough. gangs knew the rules, knew the count, I don't see any bias here.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
re: the SA incident, what Mike Denness did was pathetic, though the Indian response may have been a tad over the board :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
viktor said:
re: the SA incident, what Mike Denness did was pathetic, though the Indian response may have been a tad over the board :p
With careers at stake I fancy.. Ruined a test match for me, I remember Rudolph scoring an exquisite ton and had sod all to show for it..

Deja moo

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
With careers at stake I fancy.. Ruined a test match for me, I remember Rudolph scoring an exquisite ton and had sod all to show for it..
Whoopeedo

Deness punished one side excessively for an offense both teams were guilty of. He and the ICC deserved the dressing down they got.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Like i said for the umpteenth time, those of you who take an anti harby/murali attitude with regards to chucking know zilch about the science behind it.
repeat after me 10 times before bed every night : If Murali is a chucker, Michael Holding and McGrath are chuckers. If They arnt chuckers, Murali isnt.
Clearly you have never tired to bowl the doorsa the way that Saqlain, Murali, Harbarjan and Malik bowl it, cus if you have you would know that it is impossible to bowl it without throwing it.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Deja moo said:
Whoopeedo

Deness punished one side excessively for an offense both teams were guilty of. He and the ICC deserved the dressing down they got.
What exactly happened back then? I think I missed that part of cricket history...sounds juicy! :D

C_C

International Captain
Clearly you have never tired to bowl the doorsa the way that Saqlain, Murali, Harbarjan and Malik bowl it, cus if you have you would know that it is impossible to bowl it without throwing it.
Clearly you have not read the opinions of EXPERTS at human biomechanics and kinesiology....coz if you did, you would know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to bowl ANY delivery without flexing the elbow(the definition of throwing you are pertaining to).

Status
Not open for further replies.