• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Scott Mason 1976 - 2005

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Couldn't find this on the site so...

Tasmanian first-class cricketer Scott Mason died on Saturday (9th April) after suffering a major heart attack while batting in the nets in Hobart. Mason, 28, who had suffered aorta damage early in 2004 after a viral infection and underwent surgery to repair said damage, had been given the all-clear to resume training. He apparently collapsed after facing a few balls on April 8. He was revived by Tasmanian coaches Brian McFadyen, Dene Hills and Jamie Cox and was rushed to hospital but suffered a further heart attack and died early the next day.

Mason played 28 first-class matches for Tasmania as an opening batsman, averaging 27.21, with a highest score of 174. He also averaged 9.42 in eight one-day domestic matches.

Our thoughts and prayers go to Mason's family and friends, and to the Tasmanian cricket community.

Tastigersfan

Cricket Spectator
This is very sad, Mason was not the greatest player but the last year he played he was starting to find his feet in the Pura Cup, than he missed last year with the heart problem.

Very sad and feel for Scott's family and friends.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Both times i'd seen him play at the WACA he made stylish fifties, He looked a good player who was just starting to blossom before his heart problems. It is really sad to see him go so early in his life and not to have reached his full potential, R.I.P.

Swervy

International Captain
its scary how many people do die on the field with a heart related problem...only 2 seasons ago a friend of a friend died aged in his twenties of a heart attack whilst batting.

I once heard of a 13 year old kid having a heart attack and dieing whilst playing a junior match....bad stuff

Craig

World Traveller
Very very sad news.

Interesting though in Brazil earlier this year/late last year a footballer by the name of Serginho dropped died of related causes and his club Sao Caetano were docked 24 points and with the club's doctor and president were given fines and jail time/suspensions, on the basis they knew about his condition, and Scott Mason's death happened while in practice and the TCA would have surely known about this, could the TCA actually be held at fault for Mason's death?

12th Man

U19 12th Man
Craig said:
Very very sad news.

Interesting though in Brazil earlier this year/late last year a footballer by the name of Serginho dropped died of related causes and his club Sao Caetano were docked 24 points and with the club's doctor and president were given fines and jail time/suspensions, on the basis they knew about his condition, and Scott Mason's death happened while in practice and the TCA would have surely known about this, could the TCA actually be held at fault for Mason's death?

i heard about that. i see what you are going on about, and perhaps the different governing bodies (FIFA and the ICC) would see it differently.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
Very very sad news.

But Mason would have knew about his condition as well.. If his death was a result of over exertion, then maybe he is partly at fault, not necessarily the TCA (Although its very inappropriate to be laying blame to this event, I was just responding to the comment)