• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leg side bowling

Isolator

State 12th Man
http://www.hindu.com/2005/04/09/stories/2005040900831900.htm

I wonder what people think about this...?
Tendulkar's recent bowling raised a few questions for me... a) it's hard to play properly, so how come it's not used more?, and b) surely it can't be that hard to deal with...or can it?

Tendulkar didn't execute it very well in today's match, and the Pakistanis did play it better, but generally, this sort of bowling seems like it would work quite well.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I thought any bowling down the leg-side was called a wide in one-day cricket.

To answer your question, though, it's very tedious, requires little skill, has no chance of taking a wicket if the batsman's not going after them, and bores the pants off anyone watching.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Thought-provoking article. I think Roebuck can be a bit of an idiot sometimes, but makes an interesting point.

For leg-spinners bowling outside the leg-stump can, on occasions, be a legitimate tactic. I guess its apotheosis was Warne's "century" ball to poor tubby, bemused Gatt.

Unfortunately it can make for dull as dog-****e cricket. Giles to Sachin was as tedious a passage of play as I can recall, but the stumping lead to Nasser being hailed as some kind of tactical genius. Some of the more excitable elements of the English cricket press even evoked the legendary Jardine as a comparison.

I think the rule change to allow umps to no-ball persistent offenders is quite correct (IIRC Warne was called a couple of times, although I can't recall who against) but it would've been interesting to see the reaction if Sachin had been called. I have to say I didn't see his bowling so have no idea how bad it was.

Isolator

State 12th Man
I'm thinking more of the (legitimate) use of this tactic in ODIs.
If it requires little skill and is effective at keeping the runscoring down as well as frustrating the odd batsman into throwing his wicket away, then why isn't it used more often?

Beleg

International Regular
Batsmen have shown that with a little bit of improvisation they can manage it just like any other delivery. Calcutta test and Youhanna's tonking of Tendulkar in Vishakapatnum proved that.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I disagree with leg-side bowling requiring little skill, assuming it's a spin bowler, if you bowl it in the wrong spot it'll get clobbered like any other bad bowling. Also there's usually runs given away that don't go into the bowling analysis - like leg-byes and byes especially.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
doing so is just an extremely negative way to bowl, if a batsman just sticks his bat up in the air to taht sort of bowling he cannot possibly be out as long as he covers the stumps with his legs, with it pitching outside leg he cant be given out LBW, giles was bowling like that to some of the west indies batsman last summer.