• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW English Meet-Up

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it's a few stops away from Snow Hill and Moor Street in the centre of Birmingham. I think the train a few of us might be getting goes through there.
I would like to point out to everyone, that if you have the option to get off at either Snow Hill or Moor Street, choose Moor Street. Pretty sure the connecting train to Kidderminster goes off from there.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Time to get you into the loop:

To: Adam Matthews (Cookley CC)
Subject: Friendlies - 2007 Season
Date: January 5

Hi Adam,

This is probably one of the last things you expected to find in your inbox, but bear with me, it's got a point.

I'm a long-time member of a the CricketWeb.net forum community, and for the last few summers we've had progressively bigger annual meetups, involving bits and pieces of cricket.

We've decided that this year, we're going to put together an XI - and find a club somewhere in the middle of England to host us for our inaugural match.

We're planning to play on Sunday, July 15, in order to maximise the number of us in the UK at once. Our team will be of hugely mixed ability - all the way from people who've played ECB County Premier League down to 14 year olds with no adult cricket experience, plus everything in between.

As I'm the only person who seems capable of organising anything, I've been charged with the task of finding us someone to play against. Could you help us out?

Neil Pickup

=====

To: Neil Pickup
Subject: RE: Friendles - 2007 Season
Date: 10 January

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your e-mail. I was very intrigued!

We are looking for friendlies this season, however:

- At the moment, I can't guarantee our ground is available on July 15th. I would be able to confirm/reject this at the end of January when our Sunday League Fixtures come through.

- Our Sunday Second XI is very much a team of youngsters who have limited match experience. The average age of the team would be 15/16 and the team would be weakened by the fact that we are likely to have a league fixture that day!

Having said that, if you would be able to offer us a team of similar standard, then we would be willing to offer you a friendly.

Please get in touch soon,

Adam Matthews

=====

Thoughts, guys?

PY

International Coach
Bring it on. :laugh:

I don't think Goughy is quite upto previous standards by his own admittance?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
meh, i'm not sure why we should play a bunch of 15 year old, rather play a bunch of average adults...

but that's just my opinion....

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
meh, i'm not sure why we should play a bunch of 15 year old, rather play a bunch of average adults...

but that's just my opinion....
From a social POV it doesnt sound great. Always good to have a beer and a chat afterwards. Not sure these guys would be legally allowed to buy a round. :)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
precisly, important word for me is fun, we need to have a lot of fun and 16 year olds, tend to be over serious with there cricket(sitting one right here)
so you can't really have a nice chat and a few beers afterwards, and that's what were looking for isnt it? a nice cricket game and having a good time overall ?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
as Goughy is to scared to talk on a few subjects i'll do it for him ;)

Kev- Goughy zegt (22:27):
agreed. Could even be more fun to have 2 twenty/20 games instead of 1 40 over game. Just to give all a chance to bat and bowl

best idea ever.

PY

International Coach
It's a fair point made by Goughy, we need the 4ths or something who're social cricketers rather than kids who can't play or else it could be a thumping and no fun with it.

The team I played for a couple of seasons ago would be perfect but we're obviously in the back end of nowhere.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is it so impossible (we have how many confirmed so far?) to simply play A CW XI against AN Other CW XI? Even if it's 8-a-side or whatever.

Just to alleviate the "Dickinson maybe"s, I can certainly do July 15th so long as I know soon enough.

To all,

How embaressing would it be getting decisevly beaten by a bunch of 15/16 year old's IMO there would be much less embaressment playing as someone suggested a 4th XI or something.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, indeed, I've said that one many times with regards the Bangladesh issue, but in a thread of this nature is it really neccessary to keep banging-on about the same thing over and over?