• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team In Trouble - Who Aren't You Going To Call??

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hypothetically, if your team is 4/30, who's the last person who you want to come in/is currently still batting who'll save the day for your team.

Although its hard to mark openers in this sort of situation, as when there's a collapse as that described above, rarely are either of the openers still in, I really wouldn't like the idea of Hayden still being in. He strikes me too much as a front runner, not the guy who is always willing to do the hard yards when the opposition is on top, especially over the last 24 months. Ditto Michael Slater.

Always nervy when Darren Lehmann was batting in such a situation, as even when he was looking steady, he could still get out in the most unimaginable way possible. You can lump Craig McMillan into Boof's company here too.

And while I could see him making a handy 30 off few balls to maybe swing the momentum, I couldn't see Shahid Afridi staying around enough to completely rescue the team.

Your thoughts...

Swervy

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Hypothetically, if your team is 4/30, who's the last person who you want to come in/is currently still batting who'll save the day for your team.

Although its hard to mark openers in this sort of situation, as when there's a collapse as that described above, rarely are either of the openers still in, I really wouldn't like the idea of Hayden still being in. He strikes me too much as a front runner, not the guy who is always willing to do the hard yards when the opposition is on top, especially over the last 24 months. Ditto Michael Slater.

Always nervy when Darren Lehmann was batting in such a situation, as even when he was looking steady, he could still get out in the most unimaginable way possible. You can lump Craig McMillan into Boof's company here too.

And while I could see him making a handy 30 off few balls to maybe swing the momentum, I couldn't see Shahid Afridi staying around enough to completely rescue the team.

Your thoughts...
First one that came to mind was Thorpe..he seems to thrive in those pressure situations

Swervy

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
i'm asking who you DON'T want in at those times.

hahahaha....well if its England vs Australia..I dont want Thorpe in in that situation :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed about Lehmann and McMillan. I think Hayden can be quite devastating and billiant in that situation sometimes, like the first test in the 2001 India series for example, but he usually isn't the best choice. I wouldn't back Ganguly or Tendulkar in that situation too much either, or the likes of Samaraweera, Youhana or Jayawardene.

For players who I WOULD like in that situation who are currently playing, Lara and Gilchrist are the best picks, and Thorpe is another good one. Steve Waugh was the master pressure player when he was still playing as well, while Mark Waugh was someone I wouldn't have wanted with the pressure on.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think Hayden can be quite devastating and billiant in that situation sometimes, like the first test in the 2001 India series for example, but he usually isn't the best choice.
That's why I made the specific comment about the last 24 months. Since he's had this massive aura about how good he is, with 1000 runs in the last 4 seasons, etc., he hasn't been as willing to knuckle down and work hard for runs, he's been happy to blaze away, e.g. take pace bowlers over their heads to release the pressure, instead of grinding away, as the best in the situation described above would.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Glenn McGrath.
I thought it has to be someone who is likely to come in at that place in the order or will be one of the not out batsmen

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought it has to be someone who is likely to come in at that place in the order or will be one of the not out batsmen
I don't remember reading that at all. :)

Anyway, he could get a gig as a nigh****chman. Don't laugh, it could happen! :blink:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
if glenn mcgrath can bat at 6 in the World XI, surely he can be nigh****chman for merely the australian team!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ramprakash or Hick.

Two of the most gifted & technically correct batters you could ever wish to see. Unfortunately both had mental "issues".

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it is just international players, I would have to say Jaques Rudolph.

If it was domestic I would say Dominic Thornely or Matthew Elliot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Dwayne Smith.
Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt his hundred come in a situation similar to this? Okay, the scoreline wasnt AS bad, but the Windies didnt look like they had much hope of saving it...

Last edited: