Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    anyone who knows please tell me who is that lovely girl their at langeveldt
    Kristin Davis from *** and the City.

And Richard is obsessed with her.

aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Kristin Davis from *** and the City.

And Richard is obsessed with her.
    oh yeah, it looks like her, ha ha ha cant believe richard is obsessed with her

State Vice-Captain Right arm fast's Avatar
    i dont really rate ashley giles although hes probably the best spinner in the england team
    CW Red

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    It is amazing how oftern people talk about not rating Giles.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Giles by a fair bit I reckon. Dont see many up-and-coming spinners in FC comp. Am I wrong?

Just to be OT and to stir controversy - Vettori is better
    Jesus brings life eternal

Best English spinner?

Alastair Campbell.

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Best English Spinner by far,

The up and coming leggie from Lancashire - SA "steds" Bennett!
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

From the english spinners i no...

1 Giles
    2 Batty
    3 Dawson

Wateva happened to dawson havent seen him play since ashes here in AUS

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin
    From the english spinners i no...

1 Giles
    2 Batty
    3 Dawson

Wateva happened to dawson havent seen him play since ashes here in AUS
    He's been really ar$e of late, IIRC his career FC bowling average is a shade over 40 now.

I think it says something for the paucity of our spinning options that he was still chosen to go on this year's "A" tour to UAE & Sri Lanka!

I have to go with Ash Giles really; I'm sure he'd be the first to tell you he's not in Murali's or Warne's class, but he bowls a tight line & is a more subtle bowler than he's generally given credit for. Since Vaughan has taken over (excepting the tour to SA when Ash was criminally underbowled for some reason) he's been treated as more than a purely containing bowler & we've seen the upturn in his performances as a result. True, he got some help from the English pitches last summer, but Dan Vettori bowled on the same pitches & Ash's figures were the more impressive of the two.

Thankfully we haven't seen the turgid constant bowling outside the right-hander's leg stump we were "treated" to on our last tour to India for some time.

Batty hasn't really done anything to warrant his retention, so I think Graeme Swann might be the next to get a go. His figures form the "A" tour suggest he's bowling well in Asian conditions & I'm certain big Dunc will have noted his fighting half-century (albeit in a losing cause) in the 2nd unofficial test vs SL. Short of a disasterous FC season in '05 I think he'll tour India & Pakistan this winter.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

have to say that i was been impressed with Dawson last season. He has changed is action quite a lot for some reason and he was turning it (more that Giles), on most pitches. He was someone i kept my eye on last season and he bowled well, even tightly in the totesport league.

However i cant admit to being a prolific Yorkshire supporter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Didn't Dinesh Mongia have the best economy rate at some point during the 20-20 last year in England?

And if Warne is gonna buy a home in England, shouldn't he be the best spinner in England?

Seriously, amongst the guys I have seen, I rate Giles. Croft and Batty were just crap.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    Didn't Dinesh Mongia have the best economy rate at some point during the 20-20 last year in England?

And if Warne is gonna buy a home in England, shouldn't he be the best spinner in England?

Seriously, amongst the guys I have seen, I rate Giles. Croft and Batty were just crap.
    All the spinners did really well in the Twenty20, Mongia being helped by bowling at OT and benefiting from a tail implosion at one point, IIRC.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

East London/West Essex whichever you like
    Quote Originally Posted by Link
    have to say that i was been impressed with Dawson last season. He has changed is action quite a lot for some reason and he was turning it (more that Giles), on most pitches. He was someone i kept my eye on last season and he bowled well, even tightly in the totesport league.

However i cant admit to being a prolific Yorkshire supporter
    it is a well known fact that giles doesn't turn the ball very much in non-helpful conditions. it is just that he is impeccably accurate which other spinners like salisbury etc (who turned it more than him) cant even dream of being
    I hereby declare myself founder and leader of JAAS-James Anderson Appreciation Society

my favourite upcoming players
    AN Cook[Essex], IR Bell[Waricks]

Proud Member of Kevin Pietesen's Appreciation Society.

Glenn McGrath - 30 deliveries - 2 runs - 5 wickets

Bowling O M R W
    Harmison 12.3 8 12 7

Two most destructive pieces of bowling i have ever witnessed

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    This is a crazy question.
    England have never had a decent wristspinner (closest we ever came was Doug Wright, who had the most unorthodox run-up ever).
    England have always had a history of producing excellent fingerspinners, though: Rhodes, Verity, Lock, Laker, Underwood, Giles, Croft. Some would put Tufnell up with them; personally I think he's too volatile, an unreliable bowler.
    The simple fact of the matter is, it's highly probable there's little difference in the ability of these bowlers. It is wholly ridiculous to suggest that the fingerspinners of yesteryear were lightyears ahead of those of today, and Underwood's case illustrates this perfectly:
    Up to 1972: 27 Tests, 120 wickets at 19.51.
    From 1972\73 onwards: 59 Tests, 169 wickets at 30.98. And he was much more effective in India and against the relatively weak New Zealanders than anyone else.
    Quite clearly, the covering of wickets has made fingerspin a far, far less effective art than it used to be, because spin-friendly pitches used to abound in England; now are very, very rare indeed.
    You simply need to look at Croft and Giles' records when given a turning pitch to see just how good they are.
    However, like any fingerspinner, when given a flat pitch they're useless. And it is not fair to write them off as "ordinary" because they don't often get helpful surfaces.
    However, aside from Croft and Giles, England's resources are woefully thin, as demonstrated by Dawson and Batty, who played plenty of their Test-careers on helpful pitches and still ended-up with abysmal records. All right, there are better spinners around (Brown, Swann and Keedy) but to compare any of those 3 to Giles and Croft is ridiculous, because if Giles or Croft played at Northlands Road, the only really spin-friendly square in the country, their First-Class averages would probably be in the 27-28 region. Brown and Swann have had this benefit, and even then their records are mediocre. But that they're still far more effective than any other fingerspinners knocking around (except Keedy, who's been strangely effective these last 2 years) says a lot.
    The only time England will ever produce "World-beating" spinners is if they either start producing an abundance of spin-friendly pitches or manage to find a high-class wristspinner. But given that wristspin is almost impossible to bowl to county, never mind international, standard, I'll be thanking my lucky stars if it happens.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information