• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will you be a walker?

Answer me!

• Yes I will walk

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • No I will not walk

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • I'm undecided

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I used to walk in simple junior club games but then realised how bad the umpires were when I got a LOT of rough decisions. After that I make use of every innings I get. However if I had the nation watching me on numerous cameras angles I certainly would walk, no doubt.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would probably walk. But to be honest I would be so amazed that I actually managed to hit it I might not really be sure what to do. My bat doesn't have very many marks on it you see.

Blaze

Banned
benchmark00 said:
Im no walker, thats for sure... I always think that if youre a walker, you dont value your wicket as much...

I walk and will continue to walk regardless of the level of cricket.

It has nothing to do with valuing your wicket.

deeps

International 12th Man
well, the past season, i have told myself, "i will walk if i get a faint edge and get given not out" but i havne't had that situation arise this year. However, i remember one situation ,where i knicked the ball, it went to the keeper who caught the ball, and absolutely no1 appealed... i wasn't gonna walk for that!

but yeh, if i was an international player, i would begin to walk, once i'd established myself in the team. There is no way i'm walking on 4, on my test debut!

benchmark00

Blaze said:
I walk and will continue to walk regardless of the level of cricket.

It has nothing to do with valuing your wicket.
You hero 8-) .... i never said that people like you dont value your wicket..... thats just the opinion i get

Blaze

Banned
benchmark00 said:
You hero 8-) .... i never said that people like you dont value your wicket..... thats just the opinion i get

I don't walk for attention or by walking i don't think I am superior to anyone else on the cricket field.

It's just what i believe in

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have a reputation of being a 'walker' since school cricket. It is just something I do. I think it helps to keep me honest and more than all the 'conscience' stuff, it is the fact that I walk even if I get a faint nick that helps me play better. I think it has improved my batting over the years and over the few levels that I have played in. Plus, as Scally said most of the games I bat in are friendlies and it keeps it on good spirit. Plus, one of the main reasons I think cricket stands out is because it is a honest game....

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i think that pretty much every time ive been out, its been bowled or obviously caught, so i normally dont think to look at the umpire before walking off. if i was sure i was out, however, id like to say i would walk, but i probably wouldnt.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
_Ed_ said:
I would probably walk. But to be honest I would be so amazed that I actually managed to hit it I might not really be sure what to do. My bat doesn't have very many marks on it you see.
You beat me to it!!!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
PAKMAN said:
y not be a gentelman like gilchrist
Or Lara? It is amazing how Gilchrist gets so much publicity for doing it, because he is willing to talk about it and almost preach it to others. But Lara has done it since he debuted and yet is almost forgotten, simply because he doesn't talk about it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
IMO u shouldn't walk until the umpire has made his decision, if he makes a wrong decision then walk by all means, but u should show respect to the umpire by allowing him to make a decision. When u walk without allowing the umpire to make a decision ur pretty much saying his not good enough to make the decision (even if u don't mean to).

I remember Adam Gilchirst saying i he thought it was hard for the umpire to hear snicks in India, because of the crowds noice and that was one reason why he walked to try and help the umpires. But when it comes down to it ur not really helping umpires improve their game, as most top umpire judge their own performance on their abilty to make correct decisions. By taking decisions away from umpire, by walking, ur not allowing them to judge their own performance.

Just my thoughts on the issue, personally all three stumps are usally on the ground when i get out. Well not this season but in other season, i've improved my defence a little bit. There has only been on oppertunity for me to walk but the captain gave me a go at three in ODs and i thought not walking would make up for all those not outs down the order. I hit one more four and then got out.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Or Lara? It is amazing how Gilchrist gets so much publicity for doing it, because he is willing to talk about it and almost preach it to others. But Lara has done it since he debuted and yet is almost forgotten, simply because he doesn't talk about it.
I think Lara choices to walk and not to walk when he wants to. I remember a interview with Billy Bowden and he said he thought Lara was a walker so he gave him not out once when he nicked it behind. He had a look at the replay during the session break and saw that he nicked it. He is one of those guys that only walks when he has a hundred behind him or his team isn't in trouble. Sachin usally walks dosen't he.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Sachin usally walks dosen't he.
Not as far as I know. The only players I know of who have always done it are Gilchrist and Gillespie. Some others have done it from time to time of course - during the Sri Lankan series last year a number of players from both Sri Lanka and Australia made a habit of walking, but not many players do it consistently.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not as far as I know. The only players I know of who have always done it are Gilchrist and Gillespie. Some others have done it from time to time of course - during the Sri Lankan series last year a number of players from both Sri Lanka and Australia made a habit of walking, but not many players do it consistently.
Has Gilly always done it? It's only really the last year or so the media started making a song & dance about it, so I assumed it was a recent decision of his.

benchmark00

BoyBrumby said:
Has Gilly always done it? It's only really the last year or so the media started making a song & dance about it, so I assumed it was a recent decision of his.
I think it all started in the world cup... well thats when it became a big thing anyway.

Slow Love™

International Captain
In social games I always did. Early on in school cricket, I never walked - there's too much pressure on you and you don't really understand the value of it when it might mean losing a game (or your place in the team). Later on I did, and as an international player I would like to think I'd walk. Bad decisions annoy me, and they affect games - sometimes very severely, and contrary to some opinions, they don't even themselves out. If I don't walk when I know I'm out, I'd be a willing accomplice to that process. I realise that I can also receive bad calls where I'm incorrectly given out, but I'm a victim of that situation, rather than a willing participant. In the long run, I just believe it's better for the game. I'd make an exception for LBW calls, even if I knew it was really close. If I can't know for absolute certain myself, it's in the umpire's hands.

The fact is though, that it's not really so simple at professional level. Consistency, and whether or not I receive bad calls against me isn't really that important an issue for me, but money might be. An interesting secondary poll to this might be to ask people if they'd walk when they had a family and children, dependent on their income from cricket.

Let's say this is the case and you've had a bad trot and you're in danger of losing your place in the international team. You nick one through to the keeper, but the umpire hasn't heard it. Do you walk, for the good of the game, or do you remain at the crease, and put your family's welfare above what is ultimately, just a sport?

Surely it can't be that easy to instantly say "yep, I'd walk" like some of us have.

Slow Love™

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
It was. About two years though, I think.

Last edited: