• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Part-Time Bowlers

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
It's a pretty difficult category to be the best in, for the simple reason that if, like Gayle (who I would contend is still primarily a batter), you show aptitude you quickly cease to be a part-timer! I guess Lehmann & Symonds in ODIs both fall into the same category too.
Lehmann, yes.
Symonds? No.
Of recent history Carl Hooper was useful (especially in ODIs), as were both the Waughs.
Hooper was most certainly more than a part-timer; the Waughs weren't.
I also seem to remember Alan Border (whose spin at test level may not have quite been a load of tripe, but was pretty close to it, say a cart of cabbages!) bowling out The Windies once!
Not sure about that, but Bevan's generally tripe bowling once won a Test-match against West Indies.
Again he's a borderline case, but I like Scott Styris as a bowler. Considering his physique & run-up he's surprisingly sharp.
Styris has been a bowler most of his life.
It's only recently that he's (mistakenly) been thought of primarily as a batsman.

deeps

International 12th Man
actually steve waugh was much more than a part timer until he started gettin those little niggles

had 195 odd test match wickets, which is quiet good

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
actually steve waugh was much more than a part timer until he started gettin those little niggles

had 195 odd test match wickets, which is quiet good
195 ODI wickets, you mean. Which yes, is a top effort. He bowled his full quota more often than not early in his career.

In tests he wasn't that bad either, getting almost 100 wickets in the end.

J.Coney

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Rod Latham rolled his arm for nz if required. he was'nt bad. avg 34. eco 5.1

to work out if it's a part timer devide matches by overs, if it's more than 6 overs per match they not a part timer.

R.Latham 33 matches / 75 overs = 2.2 overs per game. (part timer)
C.Harris 250 matches / 1777 overs = 7.1 overs per game.(full timer)

Thats ODI however.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The best part time bowlers are Brian Lara and Vinod Kambli in ODIs. They average 11 and 7 respectively. And they are real 'part timers'. :D

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
for the stat sachin has bowled 1155overs in 342 odi's =3.3 overs per game
and in tests he has bowled 505overs in 120 matches= 2.1 overs per innings

So he is a part time bowler.........

Bookie

U19 12th Man
Richard said:
Lehmann takes it for me, even though he's been horrible recently (bit like his batting).
Well, he was the best part-timer in the VB Series - 5 wickets at 39, and if he had got more overs he wouldve got more.

I reckon Ganguly's pretty useful, I mean, not many part timers have opened the bowling.

Hey, how come MJ Clarke never gets a bowl?

amokk1

U19 12th Man
That's Indian cricket for you, full of surprises.

Ganguly opening the bolwing....Amazing.

I've seen Agarkar come in @ number 3 and make 96 runs....I dunno what to say..He made a century @ lords....I am speechless now.

and I've seen Harbhajan Singh come up the order and saw a spectecular failure of my existence that day.

I've seen Laxman dropped for Dinesh Mongia.....

:p :p :p :p :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That's what happens when you try to bowl right-arm off breaks with an injured right shoulder.
So are you suggesting he should have bowled left arm or injured his left shoulder ?

Kidding. :p

twctopcat

International Regular
I always laugh at the fact that were sachin english, he would probably get in for his leg break alone, sad state of affairs.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bookie said:
Hey, how come MJ Clarke never gets a bowl?
Well, he's really not a very good bowler. He has a pretty good record in both forms of the game internationally at the moment, but that's not really reflective of his ability. Early on he bowled a lot in ODIs with a fair amount of success, but had a pretty poor technique and was quite inaccurate. I remember one game against Sri Lanka in particular where he took 5 wickets at the death, mostly with long-hops and full tosses.

He improved a bit over time and I think Lehmann might have given him some pointers, or he was coached to bowl more like Lehmann, since he took on more of his action. When he got his 6/9 against India (the last time I saw him bowl for an extended spell) his accuracy had obviously improved, so maybe he will get more use now that Lehmann is gone.

Anyway, my pick for the best part timer would be Sachin or Jayasuria (although Jayasuria probably counts as a batting all-rounder in ODIs now).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of yesteryear I can think of ......

Allan Border - more than useful on his day
Viv Richards - particularly onedayers
Jeremy Coney - slow, funny to watch but very canny
Martin Crowe - quite brisk before back problems
Andrew Jones - oneday partimer suitable on a slow pitch
Carl Hooper - Prob considered batting allrounder in onedayers
Phil Symonds - remember his 4-3 of 10 ?

These days....
Astle - might be back to batting allrounder in oneday cricket
G Smith - pretty useful in a funny sort of way
Mcmillan - Has ruffled of few Aussie feathers with the ball
Vaughan- Underused in my opinion
Clarke - 6-9 say no more
Sehwag - accurate

Note: I believe Styris, Gayle and Jayasuria are batting allrounders particularly in onedayers thus not really part-timers

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I would say Gayle but if he is put in the batting all rounder category then I would go for the under rated Sehwag.

One of Ganguly's weaknesses as a captain has been not to have made full use of him as a bowler.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SJS said:
So are you suggesting he should have bowled left arm or injured his left shoulder ?

Kidding. :p
Actually, he did teach himself to throw with his left arm recently, so I wouldn't put that past him.