• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Trophy Coming Soon!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I would like to remind y'all that Ireland did beat Surrey in the C&G Trophy last summer, and blitzed a pre-rebellion Zimbabwe side in the summer of 2003. They're far from no-hopers, especially with home advantage and I expect them to qualify.

From the two groups, I'd back Ireland and the USA to take the places from Group A (is it just me or are the two groups seriously uneven?) with Scotland and any from three of Namibia, Holland or Canada (so long as they have Davison) leading the way in Group B. Expect the final playoff to be between whichever Nam/Hol/Can doesn't make it directly, with the UAE outside bets.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
I would like to remind y'all that Ireland did beat Surrey in the C&G Trophy last summer, and blitzed a pre-rebellion Zimbabwe side in the summer of 2003. They're far from no-hopers, especially with home advantage and I expect them to qualify.
Yup. The ones who will really struggle is Denmark. Their only good player is Søren Vestergaard, and he's pushing 40 soon (plus young Frederik Klokker, but he seems to be more talent than head, and Amjad Khan, but Kent won't let him go).

Hoggy31

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Croatia lose to Norway, that's how bad they are :D

(and Norway lost to Italy, that's why we're not in...grunt...
Just saw that Norway won ECC Trophy in 2003, pretty impressive and they beat Croatia by 143 runs :@

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hoggy31 said:
Just saw that Norway won ECC Trophy in 2003, pretty impressive and they beat Croatia by 143 runs :@
Yeah. Norway were the only unbeaten side in Europe for a while - played 16 games without defeat from the start-up - until we got hammered by Italy.

It's getting a bit of coverage though, in newspapers and on the occasional TV report (not about results, obviously, just the way the game is going) - I'm crossing my fingers, but most people just seem to think of it as "the weird game all the Pakistanis play"

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Two turf pitches, I think, and a domestic league with 15 teams - all based in Oslo. The second pitch is absolute tripe, no drainage whatsoever and the outfield is completely soggy...the first one isn't too bad, but shared with footballers most of the time.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
wadey4 said:
BoyBrumby said:
I'm surprised not to see Hong Kong in there, especially as they played two proper ODIs in the Asian Cup.
QUOTE]

I think they are part of the WCQS. They did play in the asian cup, i completely forgot about that.
Personally i've got a soft spot for Namibia. I cheered them all the way as the pushed England. I was loving Jan Berry Burgers Innings and remember feeling gutted when he got out, realising that might be the end of it.
Who do you reckon the players to look out for are?
Personally:
John Davison (Canada).
JB Burger (Namibia)
KJ Van Noortwijk (Holland)
GM Hamilton (Scotland)

I think Van noortwijk is a very underrated player. his ODI Batting average is in the 40's.
Hamilton is great too. His 1999 world cup was excellent and he's now back with the Scots after playing 1 test fot England (made a pair).
oke time for an update mate...KJ van noortwijk isnt playing for the dutch team anymore, and tbh he totally lost his touch with the bat.
the guy to look after in that tourny got to be Daan van Bunge, problem is...it clashes with his MCC fixtures so mcc and dutch board need to get around the table and talk, i really hope he plays for us :)!

Hoggy31

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Two turf pitches, I think, and a domestic league with 15 teams - all based in Oslo. The second pitch is absolute tripe, no drainage whatsoever and the outfield is completely soggy...the first one isn't too bad, but shared with footballers most of the time.
What's the standard of cricket like?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hoggy31 said:
What's the standard of cricket like?
I'm not the best judge :D Impossible to get scorecards and it's hard to get to watch matches, cos you never know if they're on. Definitely amateur cricket, though, and not very good coaches either...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yup. The ones who will really struggle is Denmark. Their only good player is Søren Vestergaard, and he's pushing 40 soon (plus young Frederik Klokker, but he seems to be more talent than head, and Amjad Khan, but Kent won't let him go).
I'm certain he was the answer to a question in a pub quiz once; didn't he appear as a sub fielder in a test when he was on Lord's groundstaff?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
I'm certain he was the answer to a question in a pub quiz once; didn't he appear as a sub fielder in a test when he was on Lord's groundstaff?
That's right - during one of the WI tests this summer, if I remember rightly.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
wadey4 said:
Group A
Bermuda, Denmark, Ireland, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United States.

Group B
Canada, Holland, Namibia, Oman, Scotland, WCQS winner.

Does anyone have any comments on who you think will make it or who you'd like to make it?
All I can say is that those groups are more than a little imbalanced!

wadey4

Cricket Spectator
kwek said:
oke time for an update mate...KJ van noortwijk isnt playing for the dutch team anymore, and tbh he totally lost his touch with the bat.
the guy to look after in that tourny got to be Daan van Bunge, problem is...it clashes with his MCC fixtures so mcc and dutch board need to get around the table and talk, i really hope he plays for us :)!
So Van Noortwijk has retired or he just can't get back in the team. If its the former then thats a shame, in form he's a good bat.
Van Bunge did have a pretty good world cup for you guys. He made that 60 odd against India and nearly carried his bat (i think), it was a good knock. Is Tim De Leede still playing? he's also another very good player.

Samuel_Vimes said:
Adding to that list:

John Blain - Scotland - decent bowler for Yorkshire, good talent, only 25-26 years old. Took 7 for 50-odd against Canada in the ICC 3-day final. There's a batsman called Cedric English (who's born on the Cape, SA and nevertheless plays for Scotland) too who's good.
Ah Yes of course, John Blain i completely forgot about him. He also had a great WC'99 taking 10 wickets @ about 20 if i remember correctly.

marc71178 said:
Will Ole Mortensen be turning out?
He played for Derbyshire from 83-94
Ole was/is a great bolwer who's stats speak for themselves:
First-Class: 434wkts @ 23.88, Stk Rt 2.60
One-Day: 219 @ 25.56, Stk Rt 3.38

Unfortuntaly hes 47 but yeah, you never know.

For his complete stats go here: http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Players/11/11172/11172.html

PS. Also check JB Burger and some of his games for namibia in the SA domestic comp. He's scored some incredibly quick runs.

Steulen

International Regular
The groups are very uneven.

Ireland also beat WI last year, they will definitely come through.

I think Canada has weakened considerably, and it's to be seen whether Davison will make the trip.

My bets would be for Ireland and UAE to qualify for the semis from group A, and Scotland and the Netherlands from group B. The WCQ play-off for the fifth ticket should be between Namibia and whoever gets third in group A, with Namibia the clear winners.

BTW, the Dutch also have a great wicketkeeper in Jeroen Smits. Too bad he can't hold a bat, but he was in the BBC's WC2003 all-star team. Van Bunge must play, otherwise we might struggle :(

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think that the ICC Trophy is in July so unless Davo is playing League Cricket in England or got a 1st Class Contact he should play. I also think the ICC should put restrictions on clubs or countys that don't release playing for this tornment or InterContenial matches, like they do in football. Don't release your player they banned for 2 matches, makes sence to me.

For the quailfers i think in Group A u have Ireland and UAE and third probably USA but Uganga got some brillant players and will give those three a run for their money. In Group B Scotland and Canada or namibia. I think who ever comes third in Group B will win quailfying final, with Scotland taken out the trophy.

Steulen

International Regular
chaminda_00 said:
I think that the ICC Trophy is in July so unless Davo is playing League Cricket in England or got a 1st Class Contact he should play. I also think the ICC should put restrictions on clubs or countys that don't release playing for this tornment or InterContenial matches, like they do in football. Don't release your player they banned for 2 matches, makes sence to me.

For the quailfers i think in Group A u have Ireland and UAE and third probably USA but Uganga got some brillant players and will give those three a run for their money. In Group B Scotland and Canada or namibia. I think who ever comes third in Group B will win quailfying final, with Scotland taken out the trophy.
Without becoming overly patriotic, I don't think you can dismiss the Dutch that easily.