• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Scallywag

Banned
Blaze said:
Whatever way you look at it you have loads more playing resources than we do..
I have no doubt about that Blaze and as I have stated before I admire not only the way NZ play their cricket but also how they seem to fight above their weight if you know what I mean.

Ming

State 12th Man
Scallywag said:
If McGrath is injured and not available then you dont say Australia is not at full strength because Australia will still field its best 11 players.
Well, you have an interesting way of interpreting when a team is at "fullstrength".

The current NZ team is not at fullstrength, because we cannot play our best 11 players that are fit and available. I guess in your world, there isn't anything such as a non-full strength team.

Styris, Harris, Bond and Oram are not available.

Blaze

Banned
Scallywag said:
I have no doubt about that Blaze and as I have stated before I admire not only the way NZ play their cricket but also how they seem to fight above their weight if you know what I mean.
Yeah i know what you mean. I think as time goes on we will get weaker and weaker and building up to the 2007 world cup in very important for us because we might not have very many more realistic opportunities to win a world cup but with the current crop of players and if Bond can regain fitness, pace etc we have a chance

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fiery said:
What a crock. Cricket is your national game. 3rd behind rugby? You're kidding. Rugby is played to ACT, NSW and Queensland. Rules is played primarily in Victoria and Sth Australia. Cricket is played right throughout Australia and is accepted worldwide and by Australians themselves the national game. The fact that more people play soccer doesn't mean anything. More people play bowls in NZ but it's not our national game. Rugby is. Some of your arguments are a bit dumb Scallywag.
:laugh::laugh: Like you'd know, scallywag is correct in everything he said.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I don't think the aussies will be too badly off after the world cup. It's only 2 years away; There are some good young players who are just below first grade standard who will probably step up for their states in the next two years and beyond.

Players such as Hopes, Haddin, Philipson, Nye, White, Clarke, Watson, Tait, Lee, Cullen, Ronchi will all probably still be under 30 years of age, and this current Australian team has shown that if the stability is there, players can play through until they're 34-35. The biggest worry is the apparent lack of any decent spinner to fill the void of Warne; apart from that there are no huge problems that I can see yet. I think all states have put an emphasis on bringing youth through over the past 2-3 years and I think it will pay off. Australia's stability is something most of the other international teams lack.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The 2007 exodus thing is a bit overblown really. Where are Australia going to struggle? Lee and Gillespie will still be around as far as pace bowlers are concerned, and with the likes of Tait coming through (and Watson as potential backup) that is still a formiddable bowling lineup. There's a heap of unused batting talent in domestic Australian cricket as well. The only questionmarks are really the lack of a new young spinner to replace Warne and a keeper/batsman of Gilchrist's stature.

No doubt it will be a tough transition for the Australian team, but dropping out of the top 4? Not in a million years.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
The 2007 exodus thing is a bit overblown really. Where are Australia going to struggle? Lee and Gillespie will still be around as far as pace bowlers are concerned, and with the likes of Tait coming through (and Watson as potential backup) that is still a formiddable bowling lineup. There's a heap of unused batting talent in domestic Australian cricket as well. The only questionmarks are really the lack of a new young spinner to replace Warne and a keeper/batsman of Gilchrist's stature.

No doubt it will be a tough transition for the Australian team, but dropping out of the top 4? Not in a million years.
Cullen looks pretty good. He bowled very well at the 'Gabba last week on a seam friendly pitch.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting decision on behalf of the Australian selectors. It looks like Hogg and Ponting will be rested for the next match with McGrath and Hopes returning in their place. This means that Australia will be playing four front-line pacers (plus Hopes) with only Symonds available to lift the over rate. I'd expect some problems in this area if New Zealand can get through their 50 overs.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Cullen looks pretty good. He bowled very well at the 'Gabba last week on a seam friendly pitch.
Yeah he looks decent. There's a few others around who aren't too bad either, but obviously there will be a big drop-off from having Warne and Macgill unless someone really comes ahead in leaps and bounds soon.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah he looks decent. There's a few others around who aren't too bad either, but obviously there will be a big drop-off from having Warne and Macgill unless someone really comes ahead in leaps and bounds soon.
Absolutely. MacGill is a year younger than Warne and says he wants to play after Warne retires, and while he's still bowling well I can't see why he can't. That will at least give the next spinner another year or two. Who knows, we could end up with a 4-pronged pace attack and have no need for a spinner. Just think - Gillespie, Lee, Tait & maybe Johnson or someone else.

social

FaaipDeOiad said:
Interesting decision on behalf of the Australian selectors. It looks like Hogg and Ponting will be rested for the next match with McGrath and Hopes returning in their place. This means that Australia will be playing four front-line pacers (plus Hopes) with only Symonds available to lift the over rate. I'd expect some problems in this area if New Zealand can get through their 50 overs.
What a disgrace - Lee not being sent home! :D :D

Get the ice-packs ready boys.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Who knows, we could end up with a 4-pronged pace attack and have no need for a spinner. Just think - Gillespie, Lee, Tait & maybe Johnson or someone else.
If no other spinner presents themselves, I could see Australia using Gillespie, Lee, Tait, Watson and White, with the 4th and 5th bowlers getting slightly less work but making up for it with the bat.

Not an ideal setup, but about the best we've got at the moment.

social

Fiery said:
What a crock. Cricket is your national game. 3rd behind rugby? You're kidding. Rugby is played to ACT, NSW and Queensland. Rules is played primarily in Victoria and Sth Australia. Cricket is played right throughout Australia and is accepted worldwide and by Australians themselves the national game. The fact that more people play soccer doesn't mean anything. More people play bowls in NZ but it's not our national game. Rugby is. Some of your arguments are a bit dumb Scallywag.
Problem for Australia is that more Australian schools have basketball than cricket as their summer sport as teachers dont have to spend as much time on that sport.

BTW, I would not be admitting that Rugby is NZ's national sport at the moment :p

Fiery

Banned
benchmark00 said:
:laugh::laugh: Like you'd know, scallywag is correct in everything he said.
Yes I would know. I lived in Sydney for a year not to mention I'm half-Australian.
So you're trying to tell me rugby is more popular than cricket in Australia?
You really are having a :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

benchmark00

Fiery said:
Yes I would know. I lived in Sydney for a year not to mention I'm half-Australian.
So you're trying to tell me rugby is more popular than cricket in Australia?
You really are having a :laugh: :laugh:
A year? oooo mate im sorry, you must be an expert... 8-)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
A year? oooo mate im sorry, you must be an expert... 8-)
there is no way rugby is more popular than cricket. this is how i would rank them

1. cricket
2. aussie rules
3. rugby league
4. rugby union
5. soccer (or football, whatever you wanna call it)

benchmark00

burkey_1988 said:
there is no way rugby is more popular than cricket. this is how i would rank them

1. cricket
2. aussie rules
3. rugby league
4. rugby union
5. soccer (or football, whatever you wanna call it)
You my friend, have no idea... There would be absolutely no way Cricket would be the most played sport in australia, which is what we're talking about. Soccer is the most played, and you have it at 5:laugh:.... there are stats on this mate, how about you look it up, this is not an opinionated topic

Fiery

Banned
benchmark00 said:
You my friend, have no idea... There would be absolutely no way Cricket would be the most played sport in australia, which is what we're talking about. Soccer is the most played, and you have it at 5:laugh:.... there are stats on this mate, how about you look it up, this is not an opinionated topic
Who said anything about most played. We're talking about what is the national game which is about popularity not how many people play it ya plonker

benchmark00

Fiery said:
Who said anything about most played. We're talking about what is the national game which is about popularity not how many people play it ya plonker
Personal insults, classy. Well arent we talking about the scope of people Australia have to choose from for our sports?... besides, if we're talking most supported, then Aussies Rules by a loooooooong way, a long long way, 50,000 (varying) spectators for every game on a weekend (8)... cricket doesnt even compare, Rugby League would be next, then rugby union, a first class game in Australia get a crowd of 100 people, so again, your opinions are false.

Fiery

Banned
benchmark00 said:
Personal insults, classy. Well arent we talking about the scope of people Australia have to choose from for our sports?... besides, if we're talking most supported, then Aussies Rules by a loooooooong way, a long long way, 50,000 (varying) spectators for every game on a weekend (8)... cricket doesnt even compare, Rugby League would be next, then rugby union, a first class game in Australia get a crowd of 100 people, so again, your opinions are false.
Plonker isn't an insult, more of a ribbing like "wally". Don't take offence to that. Anyway, I'll do a poll to see.