• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting was the star...but aussie bowlers looked a lot sharper than the NZ bowlers. Apart from cairns the NZ bowlers were awful.

Why can't NZ bowlers after all these years of trying ever bowl yorkers????
Or at least attempt to??

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
MoxPearl said:
why do u think its good and here to stay ????

I mean honestly.. it seemed like nothing special at all to me... it was like getting a quickie in the morning but then your misses has to goto work before its over..
:/
im curious thou.. dont u think it could kill ODI crowds ? especially for those who are not die hard cricket fans..
Haha nice post.
Fiery said:
I don't know MoxPearl but sort your smileys out bro
:/ smiley is quite a popular one actually. :cool: Maybe not here though.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
shaka said:
Matthew Sinclair was announced when he entered on the field for his one ball term as Matthew Fleming.
:laugh:
Matthew Fleming would definitely be a surprise inclusion in the NZ team!

Linda

International Vice-Captain
That seemed fun, but I hope it doesnt become a regular form of international cricket. Cricket games are often epic, cant see a Twenty20 being anything close to that.

Fiery

Banned
Jono said:
Almost 400 runs were scored on that pitch. If it was any flatter it would have been a road.

I really feel for the bowlers.
It wasn't an easy pitch to bat on. Short boundaries elevated the scores for both sides. I just think if the game is going to take off it needs to be played on batsman's paradises.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fiery said:
I'm not sure if this pitch is very well suited to 20/20 cricket. If this game is ever to really take off I think they need to be played on absolute belters.
Ponting is showing his class here though
Not true at all, as long as the pitch isn't slow & low then you'll get a good game (there's no way all the Twenty20 pitches used in England & Wales were belters).

Scaly piscine

I should probably add that if the pitch does a bit it would in a way help the game, because then you'd have to play more genuine cricket shots or you'd be bowled out for double digits.

andyc

wow. saw some of the game on highlights of abc news. ponting played some beauties-- that flicked six was great, as was that cover drive- good to see some classic shots are still being used. i must say that after watching it on cricinfo, i did feel it was too short. afterwards i kinda felt like 'so what.' it was just too short for me to care, really. normally when australia wins im happy. when we won today, it meant nothing to me, really

Blaze

Banned
Yeah i would have to say the whole thing is over hyped and doesn't bring much enjoyment to me watching it at all. Hell i would even prefer cricket max to twenty20. What makes it so popular in England?

Blaze

Banned
A shame also that Australia didn't get into the spirit a bit more with their uniforms. They were very lame compared to the NZers.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
A shame also that Australia didn't get into the spirit a bit more with their uniforms. They were very lame compared to the NZers.

the actual uniforms were much the same, nowhere near as tight as they used to be, the facial hair was fantastic by the kiwi's especially cairns and vettori. hamish marshalls hair looked more out of a boney m clip than a cricket match ;)

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
i really hope 20/20 dies.. i watched the match again..

It was just kinda like ugh.. :/

i dont really see how any team can say "Yay we won" ..

u could tell after the game the captains didnt really like it..

it could really hurt ODI cricket imho...

that 10 over match between nz / world team... that was FAR more interesting and fun and didnt cheapen anything cause it was all in good fun..

I never really liked cricket max.. but after watching 20/20... max was far better..

What da fuk were the english thinking.. just cause they get bad crowds does not mean ODI cricket is like that all over the world..

Swervy

International Captain
MoxPearl said:
i really hope 20/20 dies.. i watched the match again..

It was just kinda like ugh.. :/

i dont really see how any team can say "Yay we won" ..

u could tell after the game the captains didnt really like it..

it could really hurt ODI cricket imho...

that 10 over match between nz / world team... that was FAR more interesting and fun and didnt cheapen anything cause it was all in good fun..

I never really liked cricket max.. but after watching 20/20... max was far better..

What da fuk were the english thinking.. just cause they get bad crowds does not mean ODI cricket is like that all over the world..
what..so the English just forced Australia and NZ to play this game didnt they

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
no.. but they put out the idea of "ODI Cricket Is Dying" .. and its not ....

i dont think u will see much 20/20 down here.. u could tell by the captains at the end of the game

Ming

State 12th Man
The captains didn't say anything bad about Twenty/20 after the game. You seem to be making facts up, again.

anzac

International Debutant
what's the diference between Max & 20/20???????

a few quick thoughts..............

*20 overs too short - would like another 5 - 10 = mentallity seems predominantly of a slog-a-thon & the extra overs would discourage this approach..........

*not a bad way to start a Tour / domestic season - a bit of fun to blast away the cobwebs without really loosing too much........

*brilliant innings from Ponting........

*AUS looked a lot sharper than NZL in all aspects - better bowling, cleaner hitting & timing (& more of it), more cricket shots.........

*NZL 'hitters' looked to have no timing - only NZL batsmen to show any timing were Fleming & McCullum - the rest 'wasted' too many deliveries trying to hit too hard rather than get bat on ball (sounds familiar re ODIs)..

*was not impressed with Styris' knock - he managed to preserve his wicket but IMO was just as guilty re trying the slog rather than batting..........

*as a consequence AUS have firmed as favourites for ODIs in my book.....if you equate this to the last 10 overs of a ODI then it would seem that NZL still has a lot to learn re batting & bowling - get bat on ball & predominantly bowl yorkers....

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
the actual uniforms were much the same, nowhere near as tight as they used to be, the facial hair was fantastic by the kiwi's especially cairns and vettori. hamish marshalls hair looked more out of a boney m clip than a cricket match ;)
The green on the Australian uniform was much darker than the puke green that festooned their clothing in the 1980s...

anzac

International Debutant
IMO the match would have also answered some questions regarding the recent debate of timing v power in regard to big hitting..........NZL had a lot of power hitters in their lineup.............and too many in their Test team.......

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think T20 is just a slog-a-thon, from the games i've seen the stroke players who can go at 8 an over without trying and then smack at the end are the most successful. Just look at Ponting, Katich and Hussey innings.

It also might improve ODIs allot, we might see allot more scores of 350 to 400 plus. Cus players will learn how to go at 8 a over for longer periods of times. T20 is also the only way u can develop cricket in non cricket playing countries e.g USA, China. Also if cricket is ever going to play in the Com. Games or the olympics again then T20 is probably the only format that could be used.

I doubt it will ever take over ODI, just like ODIs have never taken over Tests.