• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is The Greatest Australian Bowler?

The Greatest Australian Bowler Is...

• Total voters

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I really don't know! Never having played under lights I can only go by what players say. It does seem that floodlights create as many problems with the red ball as they solve tho. I guess a return to relying on natural light & a bit of common-sense would be my ICC-style fudge! :D
Yes I agree to that extent but I do feel the umpires err on the side of safety (meaning stopping play when it could be continued longer than otherwise). I wish they would offer the fielding captain the option to revert to spinners/slower bowling and continue longer.

We have all played cricket in fairly poor lights and spinners can be played till much later than pace men but I have not seen this happening for a long time in a test match that the slower bowlers are brought on to prolong the game. They just come off.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
SJS said:
Yes I agree to that extent but I do feel the umpires err on the side of safety (meaning stopping play when it could be continued longer than otherwise). I wish they would offer the fielding captain the option to revert to spinners/slower bowling and continue longer.

We have all played cricket in fairly poor lights and spinners can be played till much later than pace men but I have not seen this happening for a long time in a test match that the slower bowlers are brought on to prolong the game. They just come off.
I guess the problem for the fielding team is that the ball comes off the bat just as quick from shots played to spin as to seam! If a fielder can't pick up sight of the ball against the crowd he may end up wearing it! :D

The batsmen at least have the sightscreen to make seeing the ball easier.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I guess the problem for the fielding team is that the ball comes off the bat just as quick from shots played to spin as to seam! If a fielder can't pick up sight of the ball against the crowd he may end up wearing it! :D

The batsmen at least have the sightscreen to make seeing the ball easier.
:laugh:
Yes I understand that. I didnt mean when the light got THAT bad or with the lights on. I am talking without the lights and under slightly murky or imperfect light when batsmen will agree to come of when tacticaly it suits them and refuse when it doesnt.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
What date is the execution :Jumpy:

:devil2:
Do you know the secret of my good health and peace of mind ??

I never openly express my views on Warne's bowling :sneaky2:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
IMO those people that prefer Warne are simply following the typical ill educated media bandwagon.
I tell you what, why not produce that stupid list of 3496 reasons why Murali is better than Warne.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I tell you what, why not produce that stupid list of 3496 reasons why Murali is better than Warne.
Its 3497. You missed out a vital one :p

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
I've gone for the Tiger (O'Reilly).

Without having ever seen him bowl, it is pretty hard to argue with what some of his contemporaries have said about him.

I would rate him, Warne, Lillee, McGrath and Miller all about equal though. It's hard to debate quickies v spinners though.

C_C

International Captain
hard to pick one bowler per se.... spinners and pacers are apples to oranges

I will say that the best Aussie spinner is Shane Warne and best pacer is Glenn McGrath.

I think McGrath edges lillee because he has performed everywhere on the planet, has an awesome record against the best batting lineups of his time and is more consistent.

Warne over O'Reiley is a toughie but i will go with Warne....
i think one aussie spinner who is seriously underrated by many is Ritchie Benaud....IMO, he is in touching distance of Warne.

twctopcat

International Regular
a massive zebra said:
IMO those people that prefer Warne are simply following the typical ill educated media bandwagon.
I voted for warne because he does stuff with the ball, and has done stuff for his entire career, that beggars belief.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Ive never seen Lillee play (not really), but I have heard countless stories from the entire family about them going down to the WACA to see Lillee bowl and blahblahblah...

Still, I voted for Warne (come on, I was only born in 87!).

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
C_C said:
Warne over O'Reiley is a toughie but i will go with Warne....
i think one aussie spinner who is seriously underrated by many is Ritchie Benaud....IMO, he is in touching distance of Warne.

Definetaly, but even moreso IMO is Clarrie Grimmett.

Would've taken 600 test wickets if he got to make his test debut at an approriate age and not at the ripe old age of 33 (i think that was it). In his last test series, took 44 wickets in 5 tests(admittedly against an oridnary South Africa) and he was about 39 i think, and was then dropped......

Deja moo

International Captain
McGrath over Warne easily. All over the world, they seem equally good. But,

McGrath averages 18 in India.

Warne averages 47.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
McGrath over Warne easily. All over the world, they seem equally good. But,

McGrath averages 18 in India.

Warne averages 47.
I chose neither of them, but if it was a choice between just those too, I would have chosen McGrath.

The only thing he lacks that Warne has is , he cant bowl leg breaks :@

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
I chose neither of them, but if it was a choice between just those too, I would have chosen McGrath.

The only thing he lacks that Warne has is , he cant bowl leg breaks :@
yes, but can Warne cuss as well as McGrath ? :naughty:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have no idea who the best of all time is but the best I've SEEN:

Pace: Glenn McGrath
Spin: Warnie