• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Funny sub-continent player names

Deja moo

International Captain
There was this Zimbabwean bowler....Pmumelelo Mbangwa (sp?)

The Hindi commentators on Doordarshan decided that the P was silent. Hindi speakers will understand it now.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
There was this Zimbabwean bowler....Pmumelelo Mbangwa (sp?)

The Hindi commentators on Doordarshan decided that the P was silent. Hindi speakers will understand it now.
:D :D

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
When I was little kid I always thought the name 'Shane' was funny because in one of our local languages Marathi,it literally means bullsh1t

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
How about a whole team of cricketers with unpronounceable names ?

Here is a quote from my post in one of the earlier Bizzare stories on that thread ...

The Originals

There were two players in an Australian touring side to England who played each and everyone of their team's 47 matches on tour !! One of the reasons offered for this is that one of the team members died of tuberculosis in London and two others left for home early !

The two players who played al the matches were Red Cap and Tiger. The one who died was King Cole and those who returned early were Sundown and Jim Crow.

These were not the only players with odd sounding names. The others were called Bullocky, Mosquito, ****-a-****, Twopenny, Charley Dumas, Mullagh, Cuzens and ...hold your breath...Peter !!!

If you are wondering why they had such ..er..uncommon names , I can only say that maybe because their real surnames were a tad difficult on the tongue. Anyway here they are

Arrahmunijarrimun
Ballrinjarrimin
Bonnibarngeet
Brimbunyah
Brippokei
Bullchanach
Grongarrong
Jallachmurrimin
Jungunjinanuke
Murrumgunarriman
PripumuarramanUnaarrimin
Zellanach

Phew :sweat: :sweat:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Miandad got into trouble with the Australian players and the umpires when they complained that he was continuously using fowl language. On detailed investigation it tuned out that everytime Miandad called his tali ender partner for a run, the Australians took offence !!

His name Ejaz Faqih !

Now try saying "Come on Faqih " :p

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Which reminds me...one of my friends who's not a great supporter of Inzamam (I think) always called him Inzamam-ul-Faq

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sasiantarinkalefta Wioasnnanntty Aranmbam Ryostioklak Aranmbam Noskilleauut Jamee Eskimotryantkakadikga Esyifkhlaiglan Trumboneiansutrksk Singh
Fantastic.

PS. I actually missed it two and a half years ago :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harsh, yo' havin' a laff, Fiery? Were you around at the time in question? Camel56 and co were amongst the worst things to happen to this place - worse even than SW\BLE, as I said elsewhere he's almost reached the regrettable-but-inevitable criteria.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think there is anything inherently wrong with these types of threads but personally they make me cringe a little.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Off cricket, there was a guy who played rugby league inthe 80s for Parramatta whose name was Ernie Wanker.

Really.