• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** World XI v Asia XI

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
No, that's just the point I was trying to make.
Cairns (and Gilchrist - at times) is perfectly capable of batting like a batsman, rather than like a slogger. It's no coincidence, either, that he tends to score most runs when he bats properly, rather than simply slogs.
But there's no denying that there are times when he loses his head and just starts swinging as hard as he can at the ball, in any direction.
So I guess you would describe his innings at Lord's as an anomaly?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
bryce said:
if your talking about cairns your wrong
No, I'm not - there have been times when Cairns has been batting really well (and sometimes when he's just come in) when he's simply resorted to swinging as hard as he can, and usually gotten out.
Not that that's exactly a crime, of course - there are plenty who've done the same thing. And if you're expecting universal sense in every innings you're expecting the unrealistic.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
So I guess you would describe his innings at Lord's as an anomaly?
The innings at Lord's was an exception to many rules.
Had he gone on much longer he'd have broken one of Test-cricket's most resonant records - fastest Test-century.
It was a shorter version of Astle's 222 - quite astonishing.
Really was surprised it didn't get the credit it deserved, it was quite a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
The innings at Lord's was an exception to many rules.
Had he gone on much longer he'd have broken one of Test-cricket's most resonant records - fastest Test-century.
It was a shorter version of Astle's 222 - quite astonishing.
Really was surprised it didn't get the credit it deserved, it was quite a once-in-a-lifetime event.
So what did you think of the Astle innings? There were plenty of slogs in that...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
So what did you think of the Astle innings? There were plenty of slogs in that...
Hmm... a few, of course, but mostly it was simply clean cricket-shots with a bit of improvisation (often coming down the wicket).
Even if it had been a simple slogfest it'd still have been far, far greater than any innings I've ever seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Because you know so much more about him than a Kiwi does.
And because someone's from their home country it automatically means they've followed the career more accurately, doesn't it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Richard - what did you think of the batting styles of Tillekaratne, Tavare, Brearley and Boycott?
I've never seen a single stroke of Taváre's career so I haven't a clue.
Tillikeratne I only ever saw him in a Test-match two or three times - wasn't the worst-looking player, but not the best either by a long-chalk.
As for Brearley and Boycott, Boycott wasn't bad (not fantastic either) and Brearley... well, he rarely stayed at the crease long enough to show any of his undoubted talent.

bryce

International Regular
Richard said:
And because someone's from their home country it automatically means they've followed the career more accurately, doesn't it?
don't worry i have, you should really go and watch those highlights again

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Richard said:
I've never seen a single stroke of Taváre's career so I haven't a clue.
Tillikeratne I only ever saw him in a Test-match two or three times - wasn't the worst-looking player, but not the best either by a long-chalk.
As for Brearley and Boycott, Boycott wasn't bad (not fantastic either) and Brearley... well, he rarely stayed at the crease long enough to show any of his undoubted talent.
Would you rather see a stonewall or a slogfest?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
bryce said:
don't worry i have, you should really go and watch those highlights again
I don't need to watch them again, I've watched them plenty of times.
And I've seen the same thing every time - Chris Cairns backing so far away that he's not got the slightest chance of reaching the ball, swinging wildly, and being bowled by Collingwood who at the time he was smashing all over the place by orthodox cricket-shots.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Would you rather see a stonewall or a slogfest?
What the hell you mean by a stonewall I'm not sure.
But most things are preferable to a slogfest.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I don't need to watch them again, I've watched them plenty of times.
And I've seen the same thing every time - Chris Cairns backing so far away that he's not got the slightest chance of reaching the ball, swinging wildly, and being bowled by Collingwood who at the time he was smashing all over the place by orthodox cricket-shots.
I seem to recall there was a fair bit of that at Lord's.

EDIT: Backing away at least, of course he still managed to hit it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well he didn't get himself bowled, if he played-and-missed a couple of times forgive me, I wasn't watching the innings live.
It doesn't detract from a sensational innings - he did well enough to avoid dismissal.
Having seen your edit I'll add one of my own - the "far enough to miss it" bit is the only important bit - there's nothing wrong with giving yourself a bit of room - but to go so far outside leg you can't reach straight balls is just the sort of rush-of-blood Cairns can be guilty of at times.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Must say blue and green look dull together for such a match.

P.S. - can this thread be stickied for a while?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thread stuck, though it was hardly going to be anywhere but at the top of the unstuck topics. It's a fairly popular game. :p

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Thread stuck, though it was hardly going to be anywhere but at the top of the unstuck topics. It's a fairly popular game. :p