• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, but in another situation, it would be much more valuable to score slowly.

So really, the pace at which a batsman scores should not effect his selection.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i'm not arguing for his point. im just making sure that your able to argue against him properly and that you understand his argument.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Prince EWS said:
Yes, but in another situation, it would be much more valuable to score slowly.

So really, the pace at which a batsman scores should not effect his selection.
in test match cricket.

and anyhow, simon katich has displayed in List A and First Class cricket that he is able to score at a fair clip - not as quickly as symonds - and is not what one would regard as a "slow" batsman.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
england made 205 off 37 overs in the last innings once against zimbabwe and maybe could have made it 250 off 50 so it isn't a total impossibility

Steulen

International Regular
Richard said:
No-one will ever score 250 off 50 overs to win a Test-match - you mark my words.
That's 5 an over, hardly a run more than Australia scores on average. No problem then. A good big opening partnership and you're on.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
No-one will ever score 250 off 50 overs to win a Test-match - you mark my words.
why not ? simular things have happend many time's in FC cricket..

I remember Andrew Symonds And Martin Love chasing down 300 or so at over 6 runs an over to win for Queensland a few seasons ago.

Australia score at 4.5 runs per over during a normal days batting on many occasions, Can you seriously tell me that if Ponting and Gilchrist got going the batting team could restrict them in a run chase..

The amount of 150 + partneships Gilly has been involved in that are over 6 an over in test cricket proves in my mind that it's very possible.

Also when you think about it if the team has only 50 overs to chase 250 then the chances are the pitch is still holing up very well...

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Forgotten about this one then?
Not quite 250 off 50 overs, more like 344 off 66.1...close enough?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Current Gilly Ponting Partnership: 147 runs, 28.2 overs, RR: 5.19

No chances given.. kinda shows it's not imposible to score that fast at test level.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eclipse said:

No chances given.. kinda shows it's not imposible to score that fast at test level.

But it is not in the last innings to win a test match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Baconator said:
england made 205 off 37 overs in the last innings once against zimbabwe and maybe could have made it 250 off 50 so it isn't a total impossibility
True, thanks mainly to a quite astonishing innings by Nick Knight.
Nonetheless, it didn't happen (despite the "we flippin' murdered 'em") and I'll be amazed if anyone else comes close in the near future, let alone manages it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:

It's not impossible, no - but delaying tactics would be used far more were it to be a fourth-innings run-chase.