• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Competition

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Because of the low interest in Australian Domestic Competion, I would like to see the number of Internationals played cut down. I remember when people like Botham, Richards and Hadlee played Domestic games, aswell as all the Aussies top players, and everyone enjoyed watching it. If there was less internationals, and the players had more chances to play with their states, then it would be much better to watch.

Campbell

Cricket Spectator
I entirely agree buddh, i think it will also prolong the players careers having to travel less.

Campbell

Cricket Spectator
I think more domestic fixtures would make the internationals more special and would pull larger crowds.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
They're trying pretty hard as it is to get viewers. ING Cup signs, catch the six, free hits, double bonus points, it's all happening

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well said Buddhmaster. I think it also stretches past ODI's and into tests. Nowadays there seems to be stacks of two and three test series all within two or three weeks of each other. Really the only five test series remaining that I know of is the Ashes. This obviously means that the players can't play domestic matches. Take the NSW Blues- I remember when they had Bevan, McGrath, MacGill and the Waugh twins on the team, which should have made them one of the best in the league, but I can't recall a single game where all of them played. If the tests and ODI's were trimmed down it would not only create a more entertaining domestic scene, but also create a more competive environment, improving other younger players as they play against the more experienced test players. It would also allow younger players to play with senior players, meaning they could learn directly from them.
I think the ICC or national cricketing associations should inforce some sort of ratio for test or ODI players. Maybe 2-4 tests or ODI's to one first class or limited overs match. Once a player reached that maximum they shouldn't be able to play internationally again until they play first class. It sounds pretty inpractical but it's probably the only way to boost the domestic scene other than 20/20, by somehow making the more experienced and well known players play.

Mister Wright

In reality it is only 12-16 players out of the 6 domestic teams that are not playing domestic cricket, even if the schedule was revamped to allow the international players to play for their states it would be 2 or 3 games at most. I don't think that is going to increase the crowd numbers that much. As I've said before, if you want to increase crowd numbers to domestic games - make it affordable. The food and drink is far too expensive, and a family can't go to the cricket on a Sunday or Saturday, because it is far too expensive unless it is a special promotion day.

I'd rather see the international players playing international cricket and not being burnt out by playing domestic cricket aswell.

Mister Wright

Perhaps another way of getting the crowds back to domestic games is to bring back the Day/Night Pura Cup games, I used to love going to those.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the best crowds they get in sydney are at suburban grounds like drummoyne and Telstra... SCG is just to hard to get to for a domestic game on a regular basis

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
It is a shame that the domestic competition is not supported more. I agree that the food and drink prices once you're inside are obscene and keep many spectators away. The players are generally very good and the cricket a good quality. We only get to see the occasional one day game on TV so it's hard to keep up with the new guys comin on to the scene.

I must admit I have only been to one day of a 4 day game in over 20 years of watching the game. It was a boring day and I left before the end.

I remember those days where the test stars used to be able to play for their state. It was very good and gave you a good comparison of how they were going compared to the other guys. Less internationals would be the answer. The one day series has always been too long. There are a number of no one cares games. Who remembers who has won the series for the last few years. People only remember random events in these games.

It also seems that once the local internationals are finished then they fly away to somewhere else for more games. Maybe the solution is to kick out Zimbabwe and Balngladesh until they are really ready. This will put less stress on the calendar.

Zeke

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I love domestic cricket, there's not many better ways to spend an afternoon in my opinion.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i use to go to every single Comets Mercantile Mutual cup game, they were awesome, also went to a few 2nd XI and tour matches after they got kicked out.
I dont understand why people in other stats dont generally go to the matches to support their team, i must say i dont really pay much attention to state cricket nw, but thats because i dont have a team to support...

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
i completely disagree with the first post.

i just read an interesting article on foxsports which involved an interview with steve rixon and he said what i've thought for a while.

The interstate comps aren't really for being 'good to watch', they're almost purely to feed the international team. Australia is always placed ahead of the interstate comps, and I think that this has helped set a high standard for both Australia and the states.

Obviously there was once a time where the interstate comps had more importance; when travel was more cumbersome, there weren't as many international teams, and it was more about hosting only one international team in a summer and not two. The absence of one day games obviously also meant there was more opportunity for focus and hype on the interstate comp.

Quite frankly I would much prefer the way the setup is now, with the Australian players playing almost exclusively for Australia and the interstate competition producing all the great young players who are still coming up against very strong opposition from the fringe Australian players. Sure it would be nice to have a few more people into the grounds and Pura Cup on tv but it's serving its current purpose which is to provide for the Australian team.

Mister Wright

Crazy Sam said:
i completely disagree with the first post.

i just read an interesting article on foxsports which involved an interview with steve rixon and he said what i've thought for a while.

The interstate comps aren't really for being 'good to watch', they're almost purely to feed the international team. Australia is always placed ahead of the interstate comps, and I think that this has helped set a high standard for both Australia and the states.

Obviously there was once a time where the interstate comps had more importance; when travel was more cumbersome, there weren't as many international teams, and it was more about hosting only one international team in a summer and not two. The absence of one day games obviously also meant there was more opportunity for focus and hype on the interstate comp.

Quite frankly I would much prefer the way the setup is now, with the Australian players playing almost exclusively for Australia and the interstate competition producing all the great young players who are still coming up against very strong opposition from the fringe Australian players. Sure it would be nice to have a few more people into the grounds and Pura Cup on tv but it's serving its current purpose which is to provide for the Australian team.

Exactly. Allthough I can see the other side of the coin. The guys in my band went to the cricket for the first time on Friday (whereas I get to every match I can). They were there to see Symonds, Watson & Harvey play because they knew their names, and if I didn't have a free ticket for them, they were happy to pay to get in.

I've been to every ING cup game this season, and I enjoy myself a heck of a lot, although the prices are ridiculous, unfortunately I've only been to one Pura Cup game, but that is due more to having other commitments during the games, otherwise I'd get to as many games as I can, but I'm a cricket tragic and have a season pass.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
but I'm a cricket tragic and have a season pass.
a cricket tragic on these forums? no way!!

but i think that it is inevitable that the international players will play less and less domestic cricket, as all this talk about "rotation" will lead to them being rested at every opportunity, and camps before tours will further increase unavailability. im more interested in going and watching a 2nd XI game for free at a club ground than the pura cup