• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To end the chucking debate once and for all

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
I think wearing any sort of stuff (even if its light) on the elbow would hinder the bowler quite a bit
Not as much as having every bowler totally straighten their arm in action would hinder the batsmen!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gangster said:
Hmm. The report said that every bowler besides Ramnaresh Sarwan bent his elbow at the time of the delivery of the ball past the legally allowed limit. So, the report called every bowler but Sarwan a chucker. C.C. seems to be right...
Did it?
Did it not suggest, rather than that "every bowler is a chucker", that the ideals on chucking were false?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Hehe, you wait till a youngster called Tariq Mahmood starts bowling for Pakistan..
Tom Halsey said:
Yeah, saw him in the U-19 World Cup, pretty blatant.
What amazes me most is not that he can bowl deliveries like Murali while chucking (unlike Murali) but that he can bowl them at all!
To have two bowlers with the unique physical characteristics to bowl like that is amazing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
KennyD said:
IMO...the ICC should just not worry about it. JUst let it go. I dont feel as if the game is stuffed up for me coz most people bend past the legal limit, and I wouldn't like it if anything radical was done.

Just leave the game as it is, leave Murali, SHoaib and the rest alone, te game is fine how it is.
Bury their heads in the sand, in other words - just like they did for 10 years with the match-fixing.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
what about that malinga guy who bowls for sri lanka?

his action is more than a bit dodgy,

whether or not he is a chucker is another matter

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think Dale Steyn might just cause a few murmurs..

But what the hell, according to the good old ICC, everyone is a cheat, so what gives..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haven't looked hard enough myself... was thinking more about the trash he was bowling...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sledger said:
what about that malinga guy who bowls for sri lanka?

his action is more than a bit dodgy,

whether or not he is a chucker is another matter
His action is dodgy from the point of view of maximising potential; whether it's illegal is anyone's guess.
It's be much harder to test, anyhow.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
I was actually being serious with Steyn.. If this was in, say 2002, I reckon the knives may have been out
Yeah, I agree - from what I saw of the 1st Test, he seemed to have a bit of a kink... nothing more than a lot of bowlers though, and nothing to be worried about I'd think.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, bearing that in mind when watching today's play I can now see what you guys meant.
Be interesting to get him tested, my first thought was the possibility of the same thing as Shoaib and Kirtley.

Langeveldt

Soutie
He looks like a Kirtley yeah..

Erm, so i've just started the ball rolling with one of my favourite players.. At least I feel unbiased now..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Steyn one of your fave players?
After the dross he bowled last game? :blink:
Harmison was a number of peoples most admired players after his rubbish start..

Hopefully this guy is going to do a Harmison. Albeit a bit more quickly..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well he certainly bowled a hell of a lot better in the first-innings here.
Actually, there wasn't that much admiration of Harmison after his first Test (which produced a thoroughly reasonable 5 wickets at 24.something) - people said "promising, but that Simon Jones a couple of weeks ago was more promising".
The adulation for Harmison (perhaps typically) grew as his performances got steadily worse.
Only, obviously, since West Indies has such adulation been justified.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Well he certainly bowled a hell of a lot better in the first-innings here.
Actually, there wasn't that much admiration of Harmison after his first Test (which produced a thoroughly reasonable 5 wickets at 24.something) - people said "promising, but that Simon Jones a couple of weeks ago was more promising".
The adulation for Harmison (perhaps typically) grew as his performances got steadily worse.
Only, obviously, since West Indies has such adulation been justified.
A nice summing up of the conflict that threatened to blow up in everyones faces.. Guess I well and truly crossed the floor with that

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:

Maybe it was listening to what the professionals had to say about him that did that?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe it was.
Nonetheless, as his performances worsened, people said more and more that he should play.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Wouldn't it make sense if we just got rid of the chucking law altogether and let bowlers do as they please? After all, its become such a batsman friendly game, it could well be like going back to the times of uncovered pitches. The game would be evened up slightly more at least, and nobody could be singled out as a cheat..

If it makes the record books look a bit skewed in say twenty years time, its no different to when covered pitches were introduced, just the reverse..
LMAO!!! We could be hurling balls faster than 160! and everyone becomes a cricketer at the age of 5..