• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To end the chucking debate once and for all

C_C

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
I think wearing any sort of stuff (even if its light) on the elbow would hinder the bowler quite a bit
i personally think almost all bowlers should be hounded and branded chuckers like murali has been, now that it has been categorically proved by scientific study that Almost ALL bowlers are chuckers.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
interesting idea, but i gess then we`d be playing baseball.

haha i would kick **** if i could chuck...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
i personally think almost all bowlers should be hounded and branded chuckers like murali has been, now that it has been categorically proved by scientific study that Almost ALL bowlers are chuckers.
no, no, no, your assumptions on what the findings mean are again wrong, or at least need rephrasing.

Son Of Coco

Deja moo said:
The light weight brace suggestion seems best to me. Totally takes the elbow out of the equation. Every bowler except Sarwan would need to wear one .
Not true about every bowler apart from Sarwan, but I think they should make the brace into a funnel shape and as the bowler apporaches the crease they just make a round arm motion, when the funnel is facing the right direction they trigger a release mechanism which fires the ball in the right direction without even bringing the elbow into it! Problem solved.... :p

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Son Of Coco said:
no, no, no, your assumptions on what the findings mean are again wrong, or at least need rephrasing.
Hmm. The report said that every bowler besides Ramnaresh Sarwan bent his elbow at the time of the delivery of the ball past the legally allowed limit. So, the report called every bowler but Sarwan a chucker. C.C. seems to be right...

C_C

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:

neither is it wrong nor does it need rephrasing.
McGrath, Pollock, Gillespie,Kumble,Pathan,Collymore,Ntini, etc are ALL chuckers if Murali is a chucker.
that is fairly elementary deduction.

Son Of Coco

Gangster said:
Hmm. The report said that every bowler besides Ramnaresh Sarwan bent his elbow at the time of the delivery of the ball past the legally allowed limit. So, the report called every bowler but Sarwan a chucker. C.C. seems to be right...
Not every bowler was present at the Champions Trophy to be tested, including Warne. Obviously people who weren't picked to play weren't present either, and no-one playing domestic First Class cricket in any of the cricket playing countries. So no, it didn't say that at all. What it did say was that of those players tested between 90 and 99% were found to exceed the limits at least some of the time..........you can't bring players into it who weren't there by saying every bowler apart from Sarwan chucks, this isn't true..................Have you seen the report?

Son Of Coco

C_C said:
neither is it wrong nor does it need rephrasing.
McGrath, Pollock, Gillespie,Kumble,Pathan,Collymore,Ntini, etc are ALL chuckers if Murali is a chucker.
that is fairly elementary deduction.
Yep, but not ALL bowlers right!? You can only assume this until they are all tested........it's not a fact.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Son Of Coco said:
Not every bowler was present at the Champions Trophy to be tested, including Warne. Obviously people who weren't picked to play weren't present either, and no-one playing domestic First Class cricket in any of the cricket playing countries. So no, it didn't say that at all. What it did say was that of those players tested between 90 and 99% were found to exceed the limits at least some of the time..........you can't bring players into it who weren't there by saying every bowler apart from Sarwan chucks, this isn't true..................Have you seen the report?
Ah, in that respect you're right. Not EVERY bowler in the universe was declared a chucker by that report. But one must assume that the top bowlers were present at this tournament, and there are very few who weren't. Warne of course is a major exception. So the vast majority of the world's premier bowlers are chuckers. Does that phrasing suit you better?

Son Of Coco

Gangster said:
Ah, in that respect you're right. Not EVERY bowler in the universe was declared a chucker by that report. But one must assume that the top bowlers were present at this tournament, and there are very few who weren't. Warne of course is a major exception. So the vast majority of the world's premier bowlers are chuckers. Does that phrasing suit you better?
Hmmm, it's not bad......the vast majority of bowlers present at the tournament were found to transgress I like more. :p Murali is another exception. but it's dangerous to even bring that name up around here haha

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I say we make kids wear braces when they start out. Drill it into 'em that throwing is wrong. Once the brace is off, they won't know any better-oops! I mean different-than to bowl properly

cricket player

International Debutant
Prince EWS said:
What about Sanwar Hossain and Shoaib Malik?

From memory they have fairly high bowling averages.
indeed they do have fairly high averages.They were checked and they were cleared and no longer considered in the chucking catagory.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Son Of Coco said:
:p Murali is another exception. but it's dangerous to even bring that name up around here haha
Hehe, you wait till a youngster called Tariq Mahmood starts bowling for Pakistan..

Kent

State 12th Man
Generally I believe that the less restrictions in a sport, the better the sport is (competitive running better than competitive walking, etc.). However, I just don't think full-on chucking in men's cricket is feasible. Groin-high full-tosses would change from being a gift into a nightmare and completely ruin my enjoyment of batting, unless Langeveldt also plans to extend the pitch at least 20 yards. :)

Women's cricket on the other hand...go for it! That probably sounds ***ist and patronising, but it always seemed to me that being teased for obvious chucking (or just all the effort required to do things "properly") puts a lot of girls off cricket for life.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
IMO...the ICC should just not worry about it. JUst let it go. I dont feel as if the game is stuffed up for me coz most people bend past the legal limit, and I wouldn't like it if anything radical was done.

Just leave the game as it is, leave Murali, SHoaib and the rest alone, te game is fine how it is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Fair point. I'd be happy to return to relying on the field umpire solely for his judgement. We trust the umpire to be entirely independant and objective in his rulings over the game, so why not with throwing? If the square leg umpire believes that the bowler straightens his arm and therefore does not bowl a legal delivery, he calls it a no-ball. The bowler can correct his action or leave the attack, and the batting side recieves one run.

Fairly simple.
Because we've seen time and again that the spontaneous human eye is even worse for judging this matter than it is at judging lbws etc.
The only way for dealing with it is scientific analysis.
Of course, you remove the need to deal with it at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:
The light weight brace suggestion seems best to me. Totally takes the elbow out of the equation. Every bowler except Sarwan would need to wear one .
As I say, I find it impossible to believe that Sarwan never straightens his arm either.
I presume it is just a coincidence in this instance - he never happened to bend it when they were analysing, while everyone else they tested did.
If everyone wore one from the moment they started playing seriously, the problem would be alleviated.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
cricket player said:
ending the chucking debate is like not arresting a person who run away from jail.Not chucking means bowling with a straight hand perhaps not bending your elbow but as you can see half of the international bowler's do bend there elbow to a certin degree.
i wont get rid of the chucking debate but i will check certin player's for example shoiab akhtar,murli,shabbir ahmad,vaas,harbahjan singh, etc etc etc these are the player's that i really do suspect of chucking and if you look at there bowling stats you wont see any of them bowling average of above 25 which means people who chuck does really give batsman a hard time.personally for my point of view as batsman wont want to se these five six bowler's bowling as good as people who bowl with a straight hand.
Except that it's been shown that none of Shabbir, Murali, Shoaib or Harbhajan break the old rules.
Harbhajan, recently, has been found to break them, and Vaas has never been tested.