• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath returns to #1 in PwC ratings

Link

State Vice-Captain
bryce said:
i don't know about you but i'd rather face warne than lee, what is the world coming to? people judging how good a bowler is by who they'd rather face
hah dont go into semantics. And dont hold that facing thing against me, that was just a metaphor

Craig

World Traveller
Fair enough about the results.

Where has Dan Vettori on the Test rankings for bowling? Surely his recent about of wickets in his last four or so Tests must help in some way (yes I know one of his series was against Bangladesh before some wise guy says so in 5..4..3).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's at 19 Craig.

Did peak at 15, but dropped owing to the performance of others since his last game.

Craig

World Traveller
That's actually not bad considering how long he went with out taking many wickets. He has traditionally done well v Sri Lanka and Australia so I would hope he would move up the rankings.

shaka

International Regular
ODI's he is currently 10th, probably a personal high. Thanks to his performance against Australia.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
oh really?
interesingly, jayasuriya averages 26 odd with the ball since 2000 while lee if you look at 01 and 02 where he played every test, was fully fit and no one complained about any thing such as poor form still averaged 36 and 41 respectively.
Great Analysis !!
Jayasuriya is greatly under rated as a spinner !! People forget that Jayasuriya started his career essentially as a spinner who could bat a bit !! Obviously his batting took off and his bowling career didn't in comparison to his batting career !! Partly attributable to the presence of Murali and others !!

He has 89 wickets in tests ATM, and I sure hope he can clinch the 100th Test wicket before his retirement, So he can join the exclusive company of all rounders with 100 Test wickets and over 1000 runs (with 6,300 runs currently!!)

In ODI's he has a much better bowling record and batsmen who underestimate him have suffered as a result . He has 267 wickets in ODI's and is currently the 12th leading wicket taker in ODI history.

bryce

International Regular
i also think he is a very underrated aswell as underused spinner, partly as jason said due to sri lanka's depth in spin bowling

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
bryce said:
lee's form in the last year or two has been poor to say the least
A more accurate summary would be it's been poor over the last 3-and-a-half years (though he's not played for the most recent 1 of them).

bryce

International Regular
lol i was just joking, i was just trying to make up an excuse for my inaccuracy, why would i be nice to an australian anyway?

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yes, and as I said, his higher volume of wickets due to bowling much more often would see him higher in the PwC ratings, and sure enough that is the case in both the years you mentioned. The closest they got was in late 2001 when Jayasuria rose to 40th and Lee fell to the low 30s, and they spent most of the period after there 10 ranks apart, as Lee stayed around 20th and Jayasuria around 30th. They began 2001 with Lee in 11th and Jayasuria outside of the top 50, and began 2003 with Lee 23rd and Jayasuria 32nd, since when Lee has not played.
the thing is that lee is higher up on the ratings than jayasuriya, something that i do not concur with. and as i said earlier, if we look at the 2 years where b.lee played in every game, was fully fit and bowling at his best 01 and 02, hes still has averages of 36 and 41 respectively, which is worse than jayasuriyas averages i might add.
i dont rate jayasuriya highly, because hes an extremely home oriented bowler, but i certainly rate him above lee who is distinctly rubbish both home and away.

tooextracool

International Coach
Link said:
I cant believe that every one here has all seemed to agree that Jayasuria is a better bowler than Brett Lee. If i was a international batsman i would much rather face Jayasuria.

Or maybe im missing something, is the world coming to an end, are there pigs flying in the skies etc
which is why lee is overrated, there is simply no reason to put lee ahead of him.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
In that poll we had a while back, about the best left arm spinners, was Jayasuriya even mentioned, because I was looking at his stats during the one dayer vs NZ, and they are very good.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
tooextracool said:
which is why lee is overrated, there is simply no reason to put lee ahead of him.
But Lee's blonde and surfy looking and bowls quick, every thing you want in an elite cricketer.

tooextracool

International Coach
believe it or not, those are the only 2 reasons i can think off as to why the australian selectors are trying desperately to get him into the side.

bryce

International Regular
and they have this feeling that he can rediscover his old bowling prowess, i don't see any reason for this other than that no aussie wants to believe that brett lee is not a test bowler

bryce

International Regular
hmmm if that's classified as old then perhaps i should have used the word ancient instead, in his first couple of seasons in the test side(1999-200) where he had 42 wickets@16.07 in 7 tests

tooextracool

International Coach
bryce said:
hmmm if that's classified as old then perhaps i should have used the word ancient instead, in his first couple of seasons in the test side(1999-200) where he had 42 wickets@16.07 in 7 tests
7 tests, incidentally against one of the worst of touring teams and against the most inconsistent team doesnt say much. i dont think hes bowled any better or worse since then, hes just been unfortunate enough to come across better quality batsman.