• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Users 24 years or below - pick your best team

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swervy said:
woah woah...I am confused..on other threads you have made out that you watched county cricket in the mid 80's, watched the WI's at their peak etc...now by my reckoning you were 4. Do you honestly think you can make accurate comparisons on teams and players (for example the WI's vs Australia thread) when you were only just out of the oven in the time we were talking about. I thought i was debating with someone who actually saw the teams play, did not know I was debating with someone who relies on old highlights and didnt understand the context of the play in question. I am disapointed
SPRUNG!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
actually Waugh was a good captain but i dont rate him top notch.
He basically inherited the team that Border and Taylor built and reaped the dividends...sort of like Viv Richards reaping the hard work of Clive Lloyd.

IMO, the greatest captains ever would be Frank Worrell, Clive Lloyd, Bobby Simpson, Imran Khan, Mark Taylor,Arjuna Ranatunga and Mike Brearley.
Hey look, we actually agree in this thread. Taylor was the best captain I have watched, and I also think highly of Lloyd and Ranatunga (as a captain, not as an individual :P). One notable name you left off that list is Ian Chappell, who took a mediocre side and made them world beaters, and has been named by many as one of the great captains. Certainly, Chappell, Benaud and Taylor are the greatest Australian captains in my view.

Steve Waugh was a solid captain, but Taylor was brilliant.

Swervy

International Captain
Swervy said:
woah woah...I am confused..on other threads you have made out that you watched county cricket in the mid 80's, watched the WI's at their peak etc...now by my reckoning you were 4. Do you honestly think you can make accurate comparisons on teams and players (for example the WI's vs Australia thread) when you were only just out of the oven in the time we were talking about. I thought i was debating with someone who actually saw the teams play, did not know I was debating with someone who relies on old highlights and didnt understand the context of the play in question. I am disapointed
C_C you appear to have ignored this....did you watch the WI's in the early to mid 80's,and also did you watch county cricket in the mid 80's.

amit_s

Banned
best team since 1992(i started cing cricket since 1992)

sehwag
hayden
dravid
lara
ponting
sangakara (w)
kapil dev
imran khan
wasim akram
kumble
muralitharan

C_C

International Captain
Swervy said:
C_C you appear to have ignored this....did you watch the WI's in the early to mid 80's,and also did you watch county cricket in the mid 80's.
i started watching cricket in the late 80s but then again, there's this thing called vcrs , tvs and tapes.
8-) 8-)

PS: Tapes doesnt mean old highlights......there are ample test match covereages from 1970s onwards ( or late 60s) that show entire tests.

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
i started watching cricket in the late 80s but then again, there's this thing called vcrs , tvs and tapes.
8-) 8-)

PS: Tapes doesnt mean old highlights......there are ample test match covereages from 1970s onwards ( or late 60s) that show entire tests.
Well I doubt there is much county championship cricket available on tape,how did you get your wisdom on that matter??? :D

Where can one get this footage from????

Swervy

International Captain
amit_s said:

sehwag
hayden
dravid
lara
ponting
sangakara (w)
kapil dev
imran khan
wasim akram
kumble
muralitharan
always the token Australian!!!!!! :D

C_C

International Captain
Well I doubt there is much county championship cricket available on tape,how did you get your wisdom on that matter???

Where can one get this footage from????
actually there is quiete a lot of county footages from mid/late 70s onwards.
You can ask the respective counties to help you out with footages, there are some internet websites which sells DvDs and tapes too.
Besides, i dont know about UK( i assume thats where you are located?) but in IND there are cricket video shops where you can find helluva lot of cricketing tapes.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
amit_s said:

sangakara (w)
kapil dev
imran khan
Not Andy Flower as 'keeper?

What's truly fascinating aside from that is that Kapil Dev retired in 1994 and didn't exactly set the world afire in those 2 years. With the bat 32.78 and 28.32 with the ball. Solid, but not exactly his prime. 16.12 batting and 38.27 bowling in ODIs.

Even more interesting is that Imran Khan retired in 1992. He played one game that year, scored 22 and 0, didn't bowl and never played Test cricket again from the 7th of January onward. Granted Khan averaged 38.16 with the bat and 34.58 with the ball in 1992 ODIs.

Still very strange.

DT8

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
1. Hayden
2. Dravid
3. Lara
4. Tendulkar
5. Steve Waugh
6. Kallis
7. Gilchrist (w/k)
8. Wasim Akram
9. Ambrose
10. Muralitharan
11. McGrath

ok ok i cheated with Dravid opening the batting, but how could I have left out the great Steve Waugh?

Behlol

U19 Vice-Captain
I`m 11 yrs old(12 in june)
This would be mine:
D Boon
S Afridi
A Border (vc)
R Ponting
B Lara
Imran Khan (c)
A Flintoff
A Gilchrist
W Akram
M Muralithrian
G McGrath
B Lee (12th man)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Behlol said:
I`m 11 yrs old(12 in june)
that explains a lot about OT, i guess. not that there's anything wrong with it!

anyways, after your finished with the shovel, can i borrow it? not only have u dug up this thread but you must've dug up some fine tapes of imran khan, allan border and david boon.