• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Users 24 years or below - pick your best team

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
benchmark00 said:
lol i aint a bowler short.... Kallis is a more than handy bowler and capable of bowling alot, and could do that seeing he is batting so low....
Kallis as 4th bowler of 5 maybe, but as one of only 4 options, no thanks.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
benchmark00 said:
yeah thats fair enough, i totally took that into account though, however, in my oppinion i think that on bowling alone he could make up (and generally improve) the make up of nearly every team in the world... maybe except Australia.....
I wouldn't say he'd improve England's attack, but if he would get in as a batsman.

benchmark00 said:
the only reason he isnt bowled as much as a front line bowler is because he bats at number 3,
So nothing to do with his massive decline in performance then?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ML Hayden
G Kirsten
R Dravid
BC Lara
SR Tendulkar
SR Waugh
AC Gilchrist +
SK Warne
Wasim Akram
CEL Ambrose
GD McGrath

Difficult to leave out the likes of Langer, Kallis, Dave Mohammed, Murali et al. IMO Steve Waugh epitomizes greatness, so he HAS to be there. Lara and Tendulkar speak for themselves. I don't like to watch Hayden, but I can admit that he is a tremendous batsman of the modern era. Same with Gilchrist, though I rate Hayden higher than Gilchrist. Initially I typed in Ambrose and Walsh, but later realized that that's not doing justice to the great Wasim Akram.

Gary Kirsten I believe is the most controversial pick there, but I do consider him to be a very special player. I expect many to argue with me preaching the word of Langer and whatnot, but I don't see my opinion changing any time soon.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
LOL

I have to say anyone who fits this criteria but doesn't pick SRT would also fit into the 3 or under category.

sorry i dont rate Tendulkar that highly anymore...

ofcourse im gonna pick more aussies than anything else, ive seen them play more than anyone else and besides that they are the best by a long shot.

also im gonna pick players i like to watch :)

other contenders were:

Hooper, Walsh, Ambrose, Gibbs, Donald, Rhodes, Inzy, Jayasuria, S Waugh, Border, Punter, Cairns, Kallis, Klusener, De Silva, Slater, big Merv....

Mr Mxyzptlk

age_master said:
you wanna try picking a better lineup?
ML Hayden
G Kirsten
R Dravid
BC Lara
SR Tendulkar
SR Waugh
AC Gilchrist +
SK Warne
Wasim Akram
CEL Ambrose
GD McGrath

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Ok my reasoning for the 6 batsmen, 5 bowlers is that basically the batting lineup will smash anything, and the bowlers would ript hrough any line-up, leaving the batsmen little work to do.

M Hayden
J Langer
B Lara
S Tendulkar
S Waugh (c)
A Gilchrist +
W Akram (vc)
S Warne
M Muralithuran
C Ambrose
G Mcgrath

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
ML Hayden
G Kirsten
R Dravid
BC Lara
SR Tendulkar
SR Waugh
AC Gilchrist +
SK Warne
Wasim Akram
CEL Ambrose
GD McGrath
That is my exact team! The idea of Ambrose, McGrath and Akram as my pace bowling options is drool worthy. Tremendous team. Would be almost unstoppable.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
M.Hayden
G.Kirsten
S.Fleming(c)
A.Flower(w)
B.Lara
C.Carins
W.Akram
S.Pollock
D.Vettori
S.Warne
S.Bond

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
KennyD said:
Ok my reasoning for the 6 batsmen, 5 bowlers is that basically the batting lineup will smash anything, and the bowlers would ript hrough any line-up, leaving the batsmen little work to do.

M Hayden
J Langer
B Lara
S Tendulkar
S Waugh (c)
A Gilchrist +
W Akram (vc)
S Warne
M Muralithuran
C Ambrose
G Mcgrath
That would be the exact team I would select. Perhaps replace Langer with Dravid, because as good as Langer is, I still think Dravid is better and since he cannot probably pierce that middle order, I wouldn't mind him at the top. And that bowling line up is just so good. Would pay any money to watch those 5 bowl for the same side.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Here's mine:

Langer
Tendulkar
Kallis
M Crowe - one of all time favourites so had to make room for him! ;)
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Cairns
Warne
Ambrose
Younis
McGrath

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
That would be the exact team I would select. Perhaps replace Langer with Dravid, because as good as Langer is, I still think Dravid is better and since he cannot probably pierce that middle order, I wouldn't mind him at the top. And that bowling line up is just so good. Would pay any money to watch those 5 bowl for the same side.
Yes I was thinking whether I should have Dravid in there for Langer or not. I rate Dravid as the better bat, hes got a better record, and hes just plain better. BUt I was thinking, will the opening partnership be better with Dravid opening with Hayden, or Langer opening with Hayden? But I would have no problem with Dravid being in that side ahead of Langer.

Hoggy31

International Captain
J.Langer
M.Hayden
B.Lara
S.Tendulkar
S.Waugh(c)
J.Kallis
A.Gilchrist
W.Akram(vc)
S.Warne
C.Ambrose
G.McGrath

12th Man: R.Ponting

Unlucky: R.Dravid, M.Muralitharan, C.Walsh, S.Fleming.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
1. Justin Langer
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Brian Lara
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Steve Waugh (c)
6. Jaques Kallis
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Shane Warne
9. Wasim Akram
10. Curtley Ambrose
11. Glenn McGrath

benchmark00

marc71178 said:
I wouldn't say he'd improve England's attack, but if he would get in as a batsman.

So nothing to do with his massive decline in performance then?

ahh dont you think that his 'decline' COULD be due to a major role at number 3? i think ricky ponting (and any number 3 batter) would struggle if he was a pace bowler, then backing up to bat at number 3....

This is totally opinionated so you cant say anyone elses team is 'wrong', because everyone can back up their selections, and as long as they can well you cant say otherwise.

andyc said:
I'd have to say
Hayden
Langer- those two are the best opening pair I've seen.
Dravid
Tendulkar
Lara
S. Waugh (c)
Botham- can't believe he's not been mentioned
Warne (vc)
Akram
Ambrose
McGrath

Muralitharan (12th man)

lol im only 17 so it stands to reason i ddint see alot of botham.. although what ive heard is obviously impressive

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
since i am 23 i guess i barely qualify.
Based on players who played during or after i started following cricket ( watched is a bit ambigous- i watched the Don on clips, Sobers on tapes etc :D ), here is my alltime XI:

Desmond Haynes
Mattew Hayden
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Steve Waugh*
Adam Gillchrist+
Malcolm Marshall
Curtley Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
haynes
slater
boon
richards*
lara
m. waugh (early in career, when genuine all-rounder bowling at 140 clicks)
stewart+
warne
walsh
ambrose
muralitharan

probably letting bias for the entertainers get in the way of my selection. the number of batsman who have retired by now reflects the lack of respect i hold for current day attacks, and the much more batsman-friendly tracks that world cricketers encounter these days