• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann - Is His Career Over?

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Western Warrior said:
I think come the 2006/2007 season our test XI will be (crystal ball is a bit murky so please fogive me)

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Love
Katich
Clarke
Gilchrist
White
Lee
Gillespie
Tait (or Rofe)
I hope it is a little more like this

Hayden
Hussey
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Watson
Gilchrist
White
Hauritz
Gillespie
Tait

That is assuming White and Hauritz have harnessed their talent by then.

deeps

International 12th Man
white hauritz and watson are all over-rated imo. out of the lot, watson probably has the most potential, but i dont see him becoming a very good bowler. He can howver work on his batting and become decent at that. i think he'll end up being just like harvey or symonds. He's hyped up to be much more

White and hauritz are only as good as lehmann at bowling atm, and to be a spinner, you have to be alot better than that. Out of the two, i'd say hauritz has more potential, and frankly, from what i've seen of white, he's a nothing bowler. I'd rather have mark waugh bowling

Craig

World Traveller
Gilchrist will be getting on a bit if he is still playing Test cricket, as will Hayden. And unfortunatly I don't think Mike Hussey will get an opportunity to wear the Baggy Green - too many inconsistent seasons for WA (at one point he was dropped by them IIRC).

Surely there are better promising spinning options then White and Hauritz? Is there?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Gilchrist will be getting on a bit if he is still playing Test cricket, as will Hayden. And unfortunatly I don't think Mike Hussey will get an opportunity to wear the Baggy Green - too many inconsistent seasons for WA (at one point he was dropped by them IIRC).

Surely there are better promising spinning options then White and Hauritz? Is there?
Casson looks like he will be better, but he's not cooked yet; still learning the FC scene. Although Aust_Hitman says that he's managing to keep things quite tight in grade games these days. His ER has been his biggest problem to date, because he can spray them a bit.

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
deeps said:
white hauritz and watson are all over-rated imo. out of the lot, watson probably has the most potential, but i dont see him becoming a very good bowler. He can howver work on his batting and become decent at that. i think he'll end up being just like harvey or symonds. He's hyped up to be much more
I might be the only one that has noticed/thinks this but Watson reminds me very much of one JH Kallis. After he did his back he worked on his batting and completely changed his bowling action. Now in both departments he has a very similar batting style and bowling, while similar to Kallis' looks a lot more free. I have always thought Kallis' action was to physically demanding, perhaps the reason he doesn't bowl as much as he could.

As for Hauritz and White, I think the potential is there, they just need to develop it. Remember it can be difficult for spinners to develop in Australia because the conditions (exception Sydney) dont favour them most of the time.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Western Warrior said:
I think it really is time we gave the younger players a go rather than trying to squeeze out the last bit of form from our more 'senior' players. I think Lehmann got it right first time when he said he would step down to make way for Clarke. It was a noble gesture and a sign that the old guard is soon to step aside for a younger generation.

I think come the 2006/2007 season our test XI will be (crystal ball is a bit murky so please fogive me)

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Love
Katich
Clarke
Gilchrist
White
Lee
Gillespie
Tait (or Rofe)
Um. I dont agree with that side. One, for obvious reasons. Two, ROFE?! I know he's in brackets, but please! :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Craig said:
Is Xavier Doherty any good apart from keeping it tight?
xavier doherty is very very good, he's really young, and its disappointing that tasmania haven't been giving him every game. can hold a bat too. i think that he'll be a test regular before hauritz, and white could play for australia but as an all-rounder, not as a bowler.

surely love can't play for australia again, he's not all that young, by 2006/07 his powers would be well on the wane, and australia would have to start looking at the next generation. one of the south australian young guns (read ferguson and cosgrove), if they have a good season within the next two years, will be fast-tracked to the australian squad

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
xavier doherty is very very good, he's really young, and its disappointing that tasmania haven't been giving him every game. can hold a bat too. i think that he'll be a test regular before hauritz, and white could play for australia but as an all-rounder, not as a bowler.

surely love can't play for australia again, he's not all that young, by 2006/07 his powers would be well on the wane, and australia would have to start looking at the next generation. one of the south australian young guns (read ferguson and cosgrove), if they have a good season within the next two years, will be fast-tracked to the australian squad
I think Andrew Symonds might be given another shot first. But the next regular shold be Watson.