• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Player Nickname?

Isolator

State 12th Man
I like Boof.

And you people have forgotten one of the best ones, Mark Richardson's Rigor Mortis.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
According to Mike Selvey in The Guardian today Hoggard's new nickname in the England camp is "Daisy" (not to his face, presumably).

It's a reference to his hit-and-miss bowling: some days 'e does, some days 'e doesn't. :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
On Under the Grandstand, Gilchrist said that he sometimes gets called 'Churchy' because on the 97 (?) tour of England, he was out with Steve Waugh and Shane Warne, and a boy came up to them, looks at Steve Waugh and goes 'Steve Waugh!' looks at Shane Warne and goes 'Shane Warne!' then looks at Gilchrist and says 'Are you Eric Gilchurch?'
Yeah, that was absolutely classic. I loved Gilly's retelling of it as well, totally cracked me up.

I like some of the more creative ones out there anyway. Hollywood for Warne is pretty good imo.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
BoyBrumby said:
According to Mike Selvey in The Guardian today Hoggard's new nickname in the England camp is "Daisy" (not to his face, presumably).

It's a reference to his hit-and-miss bowling: some days 'e does, some days 'e doesn't. :D
i remember he used to be know as Shrek :p

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Because after his initial performances, his captain might have said "Never more"...

Remember the WCW and WWE Raven... Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
Not quite.

It's short for "Stark Raving Mad" (but obviously Raven is better spelling for him).

I have heard some seeeeeriously twisted stories about Davis - none of which can be shared on an open forum.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
It was worth the wait. A veritable triumph of brevity!

Be honest, your sub-editor cast his eye over it first, didn't he?! ;)
You would hope not - because he would have missed the closing bracket on my explanation.

:D

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Voltman said:
Not quite.

It's short for "Stark Raving Mad" (but obviously Raven is better spelling for him).

I have heard some seeeeeriously twisted stories about Davis - none of which can be shared on an open forum.
lol, but given his debut, I thought I had 1% chance of my theory being right. :D

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I've never understood why Kevin Pietersen (or Keith Parsons for that matter - he was KP first you know) hasn't ever been known as "Nuts". It's so obvious.

I think calling Andrew Strauss "Lord Brocket" is a pretty good one.

chalky

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I must confess that the imagination of the average English cricket player and/or supporter leaves a lot to be desired. I mean, just stick an '-oh' on the end. Tresc-oh, Vaughan-oh, Gile-oh, although I must congratulate the person who came up with Gough-ee. That took some imagination.

If they shout at the umpire, then it's "You need glasses, Venkataraghavan-oh".

Incidentally, why is Glenn McGrath called 'Pigeon'? Is it because he sh*ts everywhere?
Isn't Trescothic called Banger and Gough Rhino?

One of my favs is Feneko (SP )"Chew" Ngam and of course Colin "funky" Miller.

matty1818

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Naaaaaaah for tres. (just listen to him when hes batting, calls every ball whether its his call or not) can hear him a mile off in standard toff accent!