• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 cricket

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
shaka said:
Martin Crowe has said that in order to make 20/20 better, they need the "extra run zones", therefore reflecting the views I gave earlier about the zones that need to be placed on a 20/20 cricket field.
Crowe's comments can be found at:
http://nz.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/NOV/097744_WCI_07NOV2004.html
I think he's just wanting it to be more like his own version 'CricketMax' which is understandable, but 20 over cricket doesn't need any (more) on-field gimmicks really. I think if I *were* to suggest something it would be along the lines of field restrictions, ie more fielders had to be in the circle throughout the innings so that good shots get full value instead of scoring 1 run more often than not (happens a lot in ODIs especially the middle overs). In England the boundaries are in far enough such that you pretty much get value for shots anyway, I dunno what it's like in other countries - South African domestic 20 over cricket seemed to be much lower scoring even when not many wickets fell.

Anyway I'm still surprised how many 20 over Internationals are scheduled without one actually been played yet in the first place.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Crowe is quietly seething that the NZC elected to use the Twenty20 format instead of SuperMax for the NZ v Australia game in Feb.

But to his credit he didn't exactly slam Twenty20.

Scaly piscine

As posted in another thread:

20 over current World XI (batting order subject to change)

Flintoff
Gayle
Symonds
Gilchrist
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Shahid Afridi
Shoaib Malik
Vaas
Murali
Harmison

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I would go as far as not selecting Harmison and Vaas and replacing them with some more big hitters - slow/medium bowling and spin works in this game, and with that lineup youve got 4 from Flintoff, Gayle, Symmo, Sehwag, Shahid, Shoaib, Murali and even Sachin.

Scaly piscine

Harmison is fast and tall enough to get his fair share of dot balls from guys playing and missing, also if you need wickets or to get a guy out when they're going well or to bowl the opening overs with the fielding restrictions he's as good as anyone. I agree with spin bowlers working well in the game, but that's mostly in England where most of the players don't have much clue against spin bowlers and they're usually facing international class spin bowlers anyway. I think in internationals the balance will shift back towards pace bowling.

Scaly piscine

Against Bangladesh maybe, his bowling isn't up to it tho. I don't see how he could genuinely oust any of the following anyway.

Flintoff
Gayle
Symonds
Gilchrist
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Shahid Afridi
Shoaib Malik
Vaas
Murali
Harmison

Scaly piscine

The fixtures worked out how I expected, play 3 teams twice (home and away) and the other 2 teams once.

Durham get to play Yorkshire, Lancashire and Leicestershire twice as for the other teams you can go check yourselves at

http://www.thetwenty20cup.co.uk/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=147

I personally think the breaks between group games and the quarter finals and finals day are too big, but I guess they're trying to fit it all in around other stuff.

Group games are on every day 22nd June to 6th July inclusive
Quarter finals are 18th July
Finals day 30th July

Plenty of games to listen to via BBC internet radio anyway (and to laugh at with all the commentary bias from the regional stations).

Scaly piscine

shaka said:
Maybe Cairns would be in the team in place of Tendulkar
I think Tendulkar would score as fast as most of the players in the team (especially if the pitch isn't straight-forward), simply because he can play all the shots and 20 over cricket is more about playing a shot every ball as opposed to trying to smash each delivery for 6... although there are plenty of other batsmen in that team who'd have that base covered already, so still no dice with Cairns.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I would like to see this kind of cricket all ove the world. BE exciting telecast as well. Hayden, Tendulkar, Flintoff.....:D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Well, on top of the Pakistan game Australia also have 20/20 matches scheduled to kick off the tours of New Zealand and England later next year, so there's no doubt that it is going to be a game played internationally.

As an aside, are the statistics going to be included as limited over internationals, since they have been everywhere from 40 to 60 overs in the past, or will it be an entirely new category?

Scaly piscine

I would think they'd go in an entirely new category, 20 overs is significantly different to 50 overs and of course ODIs are a minimum of 25 overs each, so it'd make sense to differentiate between them.

The thing I like about the possibility of international 20 overs cricket is that it would make the non-Test nations more competitive and there would then be more interest from them, like with football - each team has a chance of pulling something off with a miracle performance, like a Davison smashing a 100 for Canada might give them a great chance in a 20 over game (although WI got the runs off 20.3 overs in that World Cup game).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The ICC ruling was, I believe, changed to 20 overs to constitute a game.

Still think it will be a different category.

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
sehwag
jayasurya
shoaib malik
strauss
symonds
gilchrist
afridi
flintoff
klusner
mcgrath
pathan
shabbir
murali

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I really dont want to see 20/20 replace ODI or Tests and as long as that doesn't happen I would be a fan of 20/20.
Its like all the bests parts of a normal OD but with some of the less exhilirating parts extracted.
With that said, Im sure most if not all the members of the forum appreciate every aspect of both OD and Test/FC cricket, whether exciting or not.

Im a traditionalist at heart. :sleep:

Scaly piscine

I'm sure it wouldn't replace ODIs or Tests although if it becomes popular internationally as expected it could certainly reduce the number of other format games to make room for 20 over games although you could always play 2/3 20 over games in a day. I personally think there are far too many meaningless ODI series played - like 5 games of Zimbabwe v England, or the 7 games there were supposed to be for WI v England. I know these are money making ventures, but that's all they are - you're not gonna care a week after they're done with and these could well be superseded by 20 over games. Test series (well most of 'em) have prestige as do proper ODI competitions like Champions Trophy and the World Cup, if it means we're mainly down to these with some 20 over games and an equivalent World Cup/Champions Trophy thrown in all the better I think.