• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 cricket

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another charity game added to the schedule, this time it's a twenty20 Asian XI v International XI on June 20.

And just for the sake of argument...

Twenty20 England XI

Flintoff
Trescothick
Strauss
Pietersen
Vaughan (well we all know he'll end up playing anyway)
Blackwell
Collingwood
Read
Giles
Harmison
Gough

Twenty20 World XI

Flintoff
Gayle
Pietersen
Symonds
Gilchrist
Kemp
Shahid Afridi
Pollock
Murali
Vaas
McGrath

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Why Pietersen over Ponting in the World XI? After his near-century in the first international 20/20 match I'd say he's a sure pick. That was a pretty astonishing innings. I'd probably have Pietersen as well though, instead of Kemp.

I'd also say Warne is a very likely selection. He's been involved in the charity matches on all sides since the start, and people will love to see him bowling alongside Murali. In fact I think it's quite likely that he will captain the side, although it could also be Ponting.

It really depends though on how many players are actually available.

Scaly piscine

I was just picking the sides I'd choose with everyone available. As far as the charity match goes according to cricinfo Dravid, Murali, Kumble and Vaas will be in the Asian XI and Warne, Lara, Pollock, Fleming and Thorpe are included in the International XI. There'll be a fair few internationals knocking about for the counties in England at the time of the game so there should be two fairly decent teams.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
There won't be any England or Australia OD players involved since it falls between England vs Aus(19 Jun) and Eng vs Ban(21 Jun).

quote from announcement "The opposition will include Shane Warne, Brian Lara, Shaun Pollock, Stephen Fleming and Graham Thorpe"

Link

State Vice-Captain
cameeel said:
Are there any 20/20 matches scheduled for the ashes?
yeah im pretty sure there is. i could be wrong but i think there will be one and it will just be a friendly

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The Baconator said:
I was just wondering, did any of the English matches go to the D/L method? Because in the South African competition one of the matches was shortened to Seven overs a side.
Warwicks' chase against Somerset was shortened to 16 overs last year, IIRC (I should know, I watched it - then Neil Carter smacked the medium-pacers about and they reached it in just over 10 - I have the habit of getting to one-sided games).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The Baconator said:
I was just wondering, did any of the English matches go to the D/L method? Because in the South African competition one of the matches was shortened to Seven overs a side.
I remember doing a CW report on a Five5 game last year.

Criag Spearman "anchored" a chase of 43 in 5 overs with a stunning 2 not out batting from opening!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
psxpro said:
20/20 world XI

Ponting
Gayle
Razzaq
Symonds
Gilchrist
Cairns
Afridi
Flintoff
Pollock
Akhtar
McGrath
To be honest, I would select the same side with the exception of Shoaib Akhtar - his inconsistency could cost the world XI side even though he has the potential to be brilliant. Virendah Sehwag would be the best replacement IMO.

Scaly piscine

Somerset said:
To be honest, I would select the same side with the exception of Shoaib Akhtar - his inconsistency could cost the world XI side even though he has the potential to be brilliant. Virendah Sehwag would be the best replacement IMO.
So that's 3 good bowlers in a World XI with Flintoff moving down to the 9th slot in the batting...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
So that's 3 good bowlers in a World XI with Flintoff moving down to the 9th slot in the batting...
It's only 20 overs you know. I'm pretty sure Gayle, Symonds, Cairns and Afridi can manage to send down 8 between them. It's only 20/20 after all, and all four regularly bowl 10 in ODIs. Clearly in 20/20 they key to being a front-line bowler in 20/20 cricket is being able to send down a few balls which the batsman will simply miss early on, and swing is important to that. Nathan Bracken bowled an awesome spell for Australia A against Pakistan using big swinging balls which the batsman simply missed. I'd probably rather have someone like Lee or Shoaib who can swing the ball a bit than Pollock in that situation, since his batting won't be much use at number 10. That batting lineup is clearly capable of going 20 overs without losing 8 wickets.

Scaly piscine

If you lose 8 wickets steadily through an innings you're probably not going to score that many in 20/20. Look at the scorecards in 20/20 - the biggest scores are when one person gets in and makes a 80+ or two people get in and they both make 50s. Also as a bowling side if you don't have 5 reliable bowlers you're in trouble in 20/20. One bad over trying to find which backup bowler you can get away with could cost you the game. If you're going to have a 20/20 World XI you surely want the best bowlers as well as the best batsmen.

Scaly piscine

And people say wickets don't matter in 20/20... Warriors all out with an over to spare, all sparked off by getting Henderson out.