• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unaccountable umpires?

Why Umpires are making terrible mistakes these days?

• Their Old Age

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Impact of Technology

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

ReallyCrazy

Banned
i dont know i dint watch the match. all i know what ppl here are saying. anyway i also think patel got a chance? umpiring sucked

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The point really is that a bad decision against Australia doesnt make up for a bad decision against India. If they both had five bad decisions against each side it wouldnt be quits, it would be horrendous umpiring !!.

By talking about who gained or who lost from the bad decisions we just deviate from the central issue besides exposing our biased mindsets.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Deja moo said:
Victims of circumstance ? Other umpires have stood in matches in India , and I cant recall one match as bad as this one from an umpiring point of view. Bowden might have had an off day , but for Bucknor this is just the latest installment in the continuatuion of a trend . His poor umpiring , his mis handling of players does nothing else but lose any respect he still might have left for him . India would still have lost the match, but it would not have been as crushing as this , and atleast would not hurt the morale of the Indian players as much.
I agree completely. Bucknor should be removed from the international panel. I can't believe there are still people out there defending him - although they do seem to be getting fewer and fewer.

Certainly Bowden made mistakes (and all umpires have a shocker of a match here and there), but Bucknor's problems don't solely lie with poor judgement (even if he often demonstrates it these days), but with his friggin' ridiculous attitude as well. I don't know what his problem is, but I don't see why the Indians should constantly be told that it's in their imagination. Because it's obvious to anybody with a shred of objectivity watching him umpire their games that it isn't.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
biased indian said:
i did saw that first over and that was not out its was too high
i will try to be fair rather than just adding them up 8-)
I disagree.
The LBW appeal that Langer was given not out to should of been out in the first innings.
The LBW appeal that Langer was given out to in the 2nd innings should of been not out.

Quite ironic lol.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™ said:
I agree completely. Bucknor should be removed from the international panel. I can't believe there are still people out there defending him - although they do seem to be getting fewer and fewer.

Certainly Bowden made mistakes (and all umpires have a shocker of a match here and there), but Bucknor's problems don't solely lie with poor judgement (even if he often demonstrates it these days), but with his friggin' ridiculous attitude as well. I don't know what his problem is, but I don't see why the Indians should constantly be told that it's in their imagination. Because it's obvious to anybody with a shred of objectivity watching him umpire their games that it isn't.
Absoltutely FANTASTIC post. Coming from an Australian I commend you for it.

People accuse Indian fans of bias (often justified) however, people who claim that Bucknor is still a great umpire and is performing well are just as bias, however this time against Indian fans. It's BLATANTLY obvious that Bucknor's attitude is a disgrace, but because the Indian fans are complaining about it its deemed as typical Indian bias and crying for their losses.

How he's still on the elite panel is unfathomable in my opinion. Harsha Bhogle wrote in one of his columns how innappropriate Bucknor has been as of late, and Harsha is definitely not a biased Indian columnist.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
I disagree.
The LBW appeal that Langer was given not out to should of been out in the first innings.
The LBW appeal that Langer was given out to in the 2nd innings should of been not out.

Quite ironic lol.
Argh. SHOULD HAVE! Not 'should of'!
end rant.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My apologies Dasa.
Neil Pickup said:
I'd put it down to the failing and under-funded Aussie state education system.
Despite the fact that I have never attended a public school, I'd be careful if I was you, ignorant statements like that can get you into trouble. Especially when one attempts to follow a stereotype to be humourous and offensive.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
"If somebody still harboured hopes, Billy Bowden — who should be in a circus and not the Elite umpires' panel — ended that with an executioner's job on Virender Sehwag."
Sourav Ganguly might have forgiven Billy Bowden for a shocking decision, but Lokendra Pratap Sahi of Calcutta's Telegraph wasn't about to

--------------------

What a loser. Maybe he should try-out for the circus instead of writing such rubbish journalism.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jono said:
My apologies Dasa.

Despite the fact that I have never attended a public school, I'd be careful if I was you, ignorant statements like that can get you into trouble. Especially when one attempts to follow a stereotype to be humourous and offensive.
See the the Australian election threads regarding funding of the education system, and/or the accusations of everyone using bad grammar taking drugs. I'd never have made the comment had it not been a relevant current issue.

If you took any malice in my comment, sorry - there was none intended, there hardly ever is.

dotcompals

Cricket Spectator
It is not the matter of bogging down on umpires & their wrong decisions. We've to think wise here. If there is the technology to use, why not use it. If Bowden takes a wrong decision, the third Umpire should have the right to overrule Bowden & sent Sehwag back to the crease. Why this is not being used by ICC. Nowadays you can watch instant TV replay, so the third umpire can over rule a wrong decision immediately. What you people think of of this?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The technology hasn't shown that it is fully there though.

And having the third umpire over-ruling is a joke IMO - next step, just remove the umpires all together 8-)

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was as annoyed as anyone about the Bowden-Sehwag decision but in the past Billy has proved to be a very competent umpire and generally put in good performances. Bucknor on the other hand, well the earlier posts in this thread sum up what i have to say.

The technology thing is quite a dilema. Like dotcompals says it would be great in theory that a third umpire overrules the obviously wrong decisions but its very hard to put into practise. For a decision like Sehwag's it would be easy cos it was so obvious. But supposing a decision where hawkeye shows a ball going marginal over the stumps, what do you do then. Hawkeye can't be taken as fact, there is a margin for error so the third umpire could be sat there for ages thinking about what to do. And then the umpires would be tempted to put there finger up for every half appeal knowing it could be overruled and the game wouldn't be allowed to flow at all.

We should also consider the fact that there are still plenty of good umpires and they do get a lot of stuff right. Guys like Taufel, Koertzen and Shephard (yes, shephard) are very consistent umpires. The problem is games like the Banglore test come around every now and then and it questions begin to be asked. It does play with peoples careers (eg Akash Chopra) so like i said its a dilema

Slow Love™

International Captain
In another thread, I mentioned that for tight calls such as nicks (via snickometer) and bat-pad catches, it might be possible for decisions to be referred to the third umpire, where, if the replay is inconclusive, doubt goes to the batsman.

Decisions that the umpires just get plain wrong are tougher, but a more vigilant (and immediate) form of promotion and demotion in the face of repeated poor performance over multiple games (every ump has a shocker here and there, but a pattern, such as Bucknor's should result in more action than it has) might do a better job of maintaining appropriate standards.

Another thing relating to technology: while I concede that increasing the amount of decisions subject to replay and third umpire adjudications costs additional time (we may well have to adjust our expectations of overs in the day to 85 or so), I'm not so convinced that this means boredom for the spectators. Already with runout decisions, the third umpire calls have become part of the show, where the spectators can watch the replay and make their judgements, or at the very least, there's the anticipation of the red or green light. To many people I know, it's an exciting part of the game, and not something that causes us to lose interest.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Another thing relating to technology: while I concede that increasing the amount of decisions subject to replay and third umpire adjudications costs additional time (we may well have to adjust our expectations of overs in the day to 85 or so), I'm not so convinced that this means boredom for the spectators. Already with runout decisions, the third umpire calls have become part of the show, where the spectators can watch the replay and make their judgements, or at the very least, there's the anticipation of the red or green light. To many people I know, it's an exciting part of the game, and not something that causes us to lose interest.
TOTALLY in agreement.