• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drop Shewag and Yuvraj ?

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hala said:
lakshman = laxman?

If so... odd cause he got out bowled by warne and lbw to warne :p
cos he couldnt play his strokes....fell to the 'frustration factor' MAYBE. another strat

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hala said:
lakshman = laxman?

If so... odd cause he got out bowled by warne and lbw to warne :p
again , if you think that a fielder is set at a spot only to hold catches, then my guess you not captained as yet ....

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
so do explain. why do you think he got out. the one that got him bowled, that was one of the great balls that only someone like Warne can bowl. The lbw, was that an unplayable ball ??? he ran outa strokes man

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think the basic strategy that Australia adopted different from before was a total transformation of fields. Even with the new ball with Australia on top, they bowled with one slip and a gully or a first slip and a third slip.

Clearly they have decided that this Indian side is going to play their shots and get out to catches by the single saving fielders as often if not more so than in the slips.

Secondly they realised that on this wicket the in coming delivery has a better chance of getting a wicket (lbw or bowled) than an out going one.

Finally they refused to expend their energies in trying to bowl too fast or bounce on this wicket. All pacers bowled well within themselves and rarely bowled too short.

The bowling of the medium pacers was the highlight of Australia's bowling for me not Warne's who really disappointed. And I watched almost the entire batting of India on telly.

thirdumpire

School Boy/Girl Captain
yes seeing them it was obvious that they were playing to a well-thought out strategy. the indians were devoid of one or maybe they had so many strategies, that they decided each player can select one of his own :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hala said:
True :p but I think hes certinally a player who gives few if any chances once hes faced 20-30 deliveries at the crease, hes almost a totally different player.

As regards to the India lineup, dare I ask what Chopra is doing in the side? He averages 29 with the bat and the Australians don't seem to have any difficulties with him. He may be there to hold up an end but thats much good if you can't score any runs yourself.
Logically, the average when he passes 20 ought to be reduced by 20 if you're looking to see how much better he does when he's set - then it's "just" 61, and not too much difference.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Logically, the average when he passes 20 ought to be reduced by 20 if you're looking to see how much better he does when he's set - then it's "just" 61, and not too much difference.
good point

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
You'd be amazed how infrequent it is for a player not to have a seemingly massively impressive average when only innings over 20\30\whatever are counted.
It's only once you start getting to 120 or so (Stephen Waugh) that it becomes really impressive and meaningful.
I've never been a fan of the "average once he gets to x\y" stuff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Does that one innings mean they should be shoved up the order to take the place of batsmen?
No, of course not, but it does show that they've got some potential.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
You'd be amazed how infrequent it is for a player not to have a seemingly massively impressive average when only innings over 20\30\whatever are counted.
It's only once you start getting to 120 or so (Stephen Waugh) that it becomes really impressive and meaningful.
I've never been a fan of the "average once he gets to x\y" stuff.
Yes thats okay. But an average is improved by the bigger innings and brought down by the smaller ones. So if we are going to take away all failures (below 20 innings) surely we are going to get a much higher average than otherwise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hala said:
Interesting how common the misconception is that Langer is a slow scorer. Whilst he does indeed struggle in spin he often out scores Hayden early often inside Australia and then is overtaken as Hayden gets going once hes got his eye in.
It's not that surprising a misconception - Langer used to be an incredibly slow-scoring batsman, before he got another chance as an opener.
Some people take 3 years to get to grips with stuff like that.
Martyn certinally doesn't score quickly... whilst he is the closest batsman currently in the team to Mark Waugh he more commonly is there to occupy the crease, as witnessed during his innings in Sri Lanka where he scored slowly but held in and provided a solid partner to whoever was at the other end.
And many Martyn fans have said he looks far better when he tries to score very quickly, an ascertation that seems to have some sense.
That innings in Sri Lanka, meanwhile, was not worth the paper it was printed on.

NikhilN

International Regular
I think Sehwag and Chopra should be dropped...Sehwag is really not for Test Cricket, and Chopra isnt good for anything(beside his catching) I think Chopra should be replaced with Wasim Jaffer...and as for Sehwag we should give some other people chances, Kaif should be one of those people

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Lol, good call. Weren't you enamoured with Sehwag a few months ago after a certain triple century. Wasim Jaffer and Kaif opening, I bet McGrath is licking his lips...

NikhilN

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Lol, good call. Weren't you enamoured with Sehwag a few months ago after a certain triple century. Wasim Jaffer and Kaif opening, I bet McGrath is licking his lips...
I WAS...and besides he only got it because of those dropped catches...he acts like a 7 card in a deck of cards...it only shows up once in a while...and I am not saying Kaif should open...just bring him on the team and give him a chance...and I think Jaffer would do great opening

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jaffer's Test Record is somewhere below that of Chopra, a breath-taking average of 20.07, with three fifties (two against WI, one against England). Aside from that, his top score is 23. That's ten failures in thirteen knocks. His last six tests consisted of 0, 7, 1, 53, 0 and 5. Don't call us...

Who would you use at the top of the order, anyway?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Playing McGrath is *slightly* different to bullying no-marks on Ranji featherbeds. What credentials does Yuvraj have that Sehwag hasn't?

tooextracool

International Coach
thirdumpire said:
guys, did you notice the field settings set by the aussies for each indian batsmen? lakshman, dravid, ganguly, shewag - 90% of strokes straight to a fielder. this is the amount of research with technology or otherwise that is used . they just about analysed every single batsmen array of strokes with such precision... for lakshman there was langman standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the non-striker batsmen... first time i ever seen such a fielding position... no doubt lakshman got out soon after .
this is what coaching is all about....not only correcting the players...its also all about strategy .....
and then you wonder what happened in the last series in australia.....too busy planning a party for steve waugh's retirement?