• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Selection Problem

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
no but surley that would put him higher than martyn - not to mention that hes one of teh worlds best players of spin and a better ba overall than martyn.
Sure. Its Martyn much more likely.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have heard a lot of Lehmann being a good player of spin but havent seen much evidence of it yet.

In the first innings he edged Kumble to slip off pad and glove. The umpire mised it. He (Lehmann tried to hit his way out of trouble, lofted in no mans land, Pathan failing to reach it running back til he finally perished.

Now, in the second innings he has again edged Harbhajan off his gloves to slip. Playing spin well is not just about punishing the bad deliveries it is more about being able to use your feet to get to the pitch of the ball to negaTE THE TURN or Going full back and playing it off the wicket.

A tentative groping forward, with bat and pad alternating as first and second lines of defense shows lack of confidence as does blindly rushing out to slog.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes - it was a very poor innings, there's no doubt about that.
But believe me, I've watched about as much of him as it's possible to watch (well, Corey will probably have watched more) and he's certainly not normally like that. Seems rather bizarre, in fact, that he should play such a terrible innings - totally out of character.
His most notable achievements against spin on a World scale was his play in Sri Lanka.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Yes - it was a very poor innings, there's no doubt about that.
But believe me, I've watched about as much of him as it's possible to watch (well, Corey will probably have watched more) and he's certainly not normally like that. Seems rather bizarre, in fact, that he should play such a terrible innings - totally out of character.
His most notable achievements against spin on a World scale was his play in Sri Lanka.
Possible. I didnt watch that. But you have to play well to score against Murali !

Andre

International Regular
SJS said:
I have heard a lot of Lehmann being a good player of spin but havent seen much evidence of it yet.

In the first innings he edged Kumble to slip off pad and glove. The umpire mised it. He (Lehmann tried to hit his way out of trouble, lofted in no mans land, Pathan failing to reach it running back til he finally perished.

Now, in the second innings he has again edged Harbhajan off his gloves to slip. Playing spin well is not just about punishing the bad deliveries it is more about being able to use your feet to get to the pitch of the ball to negaTE THE TURN or Going full back and playing it off the wicket.

A tentative groping forward, with bat and pad alternating as first and second lines of defense shows lack of confidence as does blindly rushing out to slog.
Well, he was extremely unfortunate to be given out today, because all the replays proved inconclusive. Infact, I thought he was looking quite good today.

As for AB talking...That's merely just talk to keep all the options open. Unless something spectacular happens Clarke will drop out.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Fortunate? I was at soccer, so I didn't see it happen, but I saw replays and the doubt never entered my mind. Then again, I was dead sure that Parthiv Patel hadn't edged one that Dean Jones went on incessantly about, so maybe I'm wrong. :huh:

I know Lehmann is better than what he has shown in this match; I wonder what has him spooked.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Andre said:
Well, he was extremely unfortunate to be given out today, because all the replays proved inconclusive. Infact, I thought he was looking quite good today.

I am not so sure about that. I was also watching.

Hala

Cricket Spectator
I'm sure that Clarke is well aware that he is only in the team as a replacement for Pontings.

Lehmann and Martyn both averaged over 50 in Sri Lanka and scored match defining centuries in the series. They both preformed decently in the top end series as well, if either were to be dropped because of one bad match. Katich could have potentially been a candiate for the axe but his 81 in the first innings was as good as Clarkes 150 if not better considering he had to stabalise the innings with wickets falling around him. He also looked like going on till a bit of misfortune stole his chances at a century.

Clarke is young, undoutably talented and will be a stalwart in the side over the next decade, but he like many others will have to wait for his time to cement a permenant position in the side. Right now he has a great opportunity to put himself at the head of the queue to furfill any vacancies in the Australian batting lineup and learn from the experience of the classy players around him and become a better cricketer thanks to it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Andre said:
Well, he was extremely unfortunate to be given out today, because all the replays proved inconclusive.
Yet not a murmur from people accusing the umpires of bias...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Yet not a murmur from people accusing the umpires of bias...
TBF it does seem that all the significant errors have favoured Australia. Equally, a few line-calls have gone their way.
Of course, it's wholly unrealistic to suspect bias but nonetheless it must be infuriating when one Umpire continually makes errors when one team is playing another and it does seem that Bucknor has made lots of errors favouring Australia over India recently - added, of course, to the Dravid gesture, which was inexplicable and can hardly have helped.
Nonetheless, this match could quite easily have been a hell of a lot closer had the Umpiring been faultless.

Scallywag

Banned
Richard said:
TBF it does seem that all the significant errors have favoured Australia.

crap, lies, ********, biased, deceitful, one eyed, and I'm sure there are many more words to describe this dribble Richard.

It sounds like you only listen to the cricket second hand through an Indian supporter.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Well he almost has a case - but there are definitely some significant decisions that have gone India's way.

Parthiv Patel getting two lives could have been the difference between about 50-100 runs, which India should be grateful for to no end. He supposedly got a life on 0, so there's 46 bonus runs, Richard. Add to that the tailend contributions and the annoyance factor that mightn't have been there had Patel been given out for 0, and it seems fairly significant to me.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
TBF it does seem that all the significant errors have favoured Australia.
There have been decisions going both ways for both sides. I'd say Australia used their fortune better...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jnr. said:
There have been decisions going both ways for both sides. I'd say Australia used their fortune better...
Oh there were mistakes but India are in a mess because Australia played much much better than them PERIOD

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I love it how the Aussies are so spooked about Kolkata though. What they are doing now is not solely because of the scars of Kolkata, but they are being very professional about clinically destroying India.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Ponting is captain (and in form) so he won't be dropped.
since when is ponting in form? in his last 2 test series hes averaged 33 and 33.5 and in his last 3 ODI series hes averaged 25.50,4 and 25.50.
not that it matters of course:p

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
since when is ponting in form? in his last 2 test series hes averaged 33 and 33.5 and in his last 3 ODI series hes averaged 25.50,4 and 25.50.
not that it matters of course:p
Well you can write him off at your own embarassment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Casson said:
I love it how the Aussies are so spooked about Kolkata though. What they are doing now is not solely because of the scars of Kolkata, but they are being very professional about clinically destroying India.
I just hope that from now on, every time they don't enforce the follow on we don't get the "They're clearly still worried by that game" comments.