• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Son New to hardball

REDSATURDAY

Cricket Spectator
Hi my son is about to play his first season of handball and needs a bat. Now I don't know the first thing about bats and don't trust shop salesmen. I've seen a kookaburra one on sports direct pretty cheap, how do I know if it's any good as no reviews. Any help appreciated. Kookaburra Verve Prodigy 40

Also where can I find really small wicket keeping gloves

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How old is he? Generally I wouldn't worry about getting a reasonably priced bat for a young kid starting out, just make sure it isn't a fence paling. If I were you I'd go down to a cricket/ sports store and look at the kids' bats in the store, then check the prices online. If oyu're in a store you should be able to see some bats which are pretty light, but which are reasonably thick through the blade. Ask the staff if you can tap them lightly with a ball mallet and see if there's a bit of "pop" or "spring" off the face.

The main thing is not to get a bat that's too big and/ or too heavy for him to swing. I've seen a lot of kids whose parents buy them pretty decent bats which come up to their chests and which they can't lift, let alone bat properly with.

Also, if your'e getting one online, see if they offer a service to knock the bat in and put a face on it before they send it. Any young kid is going to want to grab the bat straight away and start belting balls with it, but if it isn't prepared properly the bloody thing will split and you'll have wasted your dough.

I haven't seen or used the type of bat you've looked at on line, so can't comment specifically.

Good luck with it mate.

REDSATURDAY

Cricket Spectator
Great thanks for advice, think I'll try the online one as a starter bat and work up from there. Good point about knocking in aswell

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
yeah been coaching some juniors this year and the biggest difficulty is players using bats that are way too big. Get something light and easy to control in low grade english willow.

cricketforum90

Cricket Spectator
Son New TO hardball

yeah been coaching some juniors this year and the biggest difficulty is players using bats that are way too big. Get something light and easy to control in low grade english willow.
The main heart of cricket is Hardball and it is very important asset of cricket. And I am very happy to see this thread and the reply in this thread are satisfied.