• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kahuna or Ghost?

Person1234

Cricket Spectator
Alright so I'm thinking of getting a new bat, and I've narrowed it down to either the Kahuna or the Ghost. Which one would you recommend I get? I'm an opening batsmen, or fifth, and left handed.

:laugh:

Person1234

Cricket Spectator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ37AKP4n-8

Ghost looks like newer technology so would go with that. On the above video it looks like it has more meat than any other blade I have seen as far as 2 10" bats go anyway.

I bought a Kahuna some 10 years ago and it has been a brilliant bat.

Yeah, but what about the new Ghost and the new Kahuna?
https://cricketwarehouse.com.au/col...ookaburra-ghost-pro-players-1-limited-edition

https://cricketwarehouse.com.au/col...kookaburra-kahuna-pro-players-limited-edition

Here are the videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGWwon8axzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhpeVjpJyts

Thanks for your reply :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I guess the newer video of the ghost is even better. I was a bit troubled with how there was a wide handle low down on the grip - this would really bring your bottom hand into play more than most bats.
Now that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how good you actually are. For a modest cricketer like yourself (I read a lot into that you were opening or failing that down to 5th) then have a light touch with your bottom hand is probably helpful. The old rule I was told is that you should be able to hold an egg in your bottom hand while holding a cricket bat without cracking it (that doesn't always prove true by the way, some times you need to give it some gusto) - having a wider base of the handle would have created a tight bottom hand grip.
So the fact the new Ghost doesn't have that feature is a good thing.

The other differences seem to fall down to an oval handle vs a round handle. It think this is a non issue. I have batted with round handles and oval handles and it is all much of a muchness. My kahnua is an oval handle so I might prefer that at a push - but when I pick up the Kahuna I don't really notice the oval handle issue.

I would have to watch the videos again - it is possible that the Kahuna is more rounded than the Ghost. I think this is the only real thing that caught my eye. If I caught the ball on the outside half of my bat then I would prefer a rounded bat so that the ball went squarer and the bat gave in my hands. A flat bat may create a catch to gully off a really quick bowler vs a rounded face going behind point just because the bat will give to the ball more rather than fighting it.

All that said. The Ghost simply looked like it had more meat. I would say maybe a cm more. And that is massive. Maybe read the specs to see if it indeed is a bigger bat. I am very interested in bats that make the ball go a long way with me simply leaning into the shot. So I would be tempted by the Ghost. Also like I also said. It is a newer technology so I have a suspicion its balance, and pick up, maybe superior,

There are probably a ton of grammar issues in the above but in the interests of replying quickly I won't proof read before sending.

Person1234

Cricket Spectator
I guess the newer video of the ghost is even better. I was a bit troubled with how there was a wide handle low down on the grip - this would really bring your bottom hand into play more than most bats.
Now that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how good you actually are. For a modest cricketer like yourself (I read a lot into that you were opening or failing that down to 5th) then have a light touch with your bottom hand is probably helpful. The old rule I was told is that you should be able to hold an egg in your bottom hand while holding a cricket bat without cracking it (that doesn't always prove true by the way, some times you need to give it some gusto) - having a wider base of the handle would have created a tight bottom hand grip.
So the fact the new Ghost doesn't have that feature is a good thing.

The other differences seem to fall down to an oval handle vs a round handle. It think this is a non issue. I have batted with round handles and oval handles and it is all much of a muchness. My kahnua is an oval handle so I might prefer that at a push - but when I pick up the Kahuna I don't really notice the oval handle issue.

I would have to watch the videos again - it is possible that the Kahuna is more rounded than the Ghost. I think this is the only real thing that caught my eye. If I caught the ball on the outside half of my bat then I would prefer a rounded bat so that the ball went squarer and the bat gave in my hands. A flat bat may create a catch to gully off a really quick bowler vs a rounded face going behind point just because the bat will give to the ball more rather than fighting it.

All that said. The Ghost simply looked like it had more meat. I would say maybe a cm more. And that is massive. Maybe read the specs to see if it indeed is a bigger bat. I am very interested in bats that make the ball go a long way with me simply leaning into the shot. So I would be tempted by the Ghost. Also like I also said. It is a newer technology so I have a suspicion its balance, and pick up, maybe superior,

There are probably a ton of grammar issues in the above but in the interests of replying quickly I won't proof read before sending.

Yeah, fair enough. I do usually open in the higher grades, but I prefer to bat fifth. I really need to get rid of that fear of opening. :-O:-O:-O But anyway, thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. :) :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, fair enough. I do usually open in the higher grades, but I prefer to bat fifth. I really need to get rid of that fear of opening. :-O:-O:-O But anyway, thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. :) :)
I've got you pegged as an Ocker based on your penchant for Kookaburra bats and your first class English skills. You should be proud to be an opener. I think if you asked me to rank from a presitige prespective the batting positions in the Australian test match team. I would list opening the batting for Australia as the highest ranked batting opportunity despite the legacy of Don Bradman. For years the Aussie openers have been the only blokes who seem to know how to bat against the moving ball. Get the openers early and you can knock off the rest of the blokes early doors. Be proud to be an opener.

I couldn't stand to be a number 5. Most days playing 50 over cricket, or even in two day cricket with the over restrictions on the first innings, you will be doing very well to score a century from the number 5 spot just with the amount of balls available to you. I can see preferring to bat at number 3 or 4 over opening because quite frankly that is my attitude, but the only person who should really be chasing the number 5 spot is a player who is a bit of a swashbuckler. And if you also get selected to open in high grades then I doubt you are a swashbuckler.

the worst thing about opening is getting out in the first over the game and then just sitting there for the rest of the inning. So don't let it happen to you. Develop guidelines and rules. Every single time you get out, tell yourself that is the last time I will get out in that fashion and learn something and change something so that it doesn't happen again.

I actually had targets. Firstly if a wicket falls in the first two overs you will lose the game. The other team just gets too jazzed and suddenly some dung heap of a 45 year old bowler suddenly remembers his glory years and starts winging them down at you with some real zip, get on top of him early and he will just go through the motions with you.

People say stay in for 10 overs. That isn't the target. It is 6 overs. For the first 4 overs the opening bowlers are blowing out their cobwebs. They will bring their A games in the 5th and 6th overs. If you can survive those then you actually start to think about getting some runs in the following overs.

Thanks for pointing out the Ghost to me - very interesting.

Person1234

Cricket Spectator
I've got you pegged as an Ocker based on your penchant for Kookaburra bats and your first class English skills. You should be proud to be an opener. I think if you asked me to rank from a presitige prespective the batting positions in the Australian test match team. I would list opening the batting for Australia as the highest ranked batting opportunity despite the legacy of Don Bradman. For years the Aussie openers have been the only blokes who seem to know how to bat against the moving ball. Get the openers early and you can knock off the rest of the blokes early doors. Be proud to be an opener.

I couldn't stand to be a number 5. Most days playing 50 over cricket, or even in two day cricket with the over restrictions on the first innings, you will be doing very well to score a century from the number 5 spot just with the amount of balls available to you. I can see preferring to bat at number 3 or 4 over opening because quite frankly that is my attitude, but the only person who should really be chasing the number 5 spot is a player who is a bit of a swashbuckler. And if you also get selected to open in high grades then I doubt you are a swashbuckler.

the worst thing about opening is getting out in the first over the game and then just sitting there for the rest of the inning. So don't let it happen to you. Develop guidelines and rules. Every single time you get out, tell yourself that is the last time I will get out in that fashion and learn something and change something so that it doesn't happen again.

I actually had targets. Firstly if a wicket falls in the first two overs you will lose the game. The other team just gets too jazzed and suddenly some dung heap of a 45 year old bowler suddenly remembers his glory years and starts winging them down at you with some real zip, get on top of him early and he will just go through the motions with you.

People say stay in for 10 overs. That isn't the target. It is 6 overs. For the first 4 overs the opening bowlers are blowing out their cobwebs. They will bring their A games in the 5th and 6th overs. If you can survive those then you actually start to think about getting some runs in the following overs.

Thanks for pointing out the Ghost to me - very interesting.[/QUOTE

No problem, and thanks for your help and advice :)