• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help with cricket bowling speed

JohnJohn123

Cricket Spectator
I'm 15 years old and around 5 foot 11 pretty skinny about 125 lbs. I just started really focusing on playing cricket about three months ago and increased my bowling speed from 70 kph to about 115 kph. I don't really work out so any suggestions for increasing my bowling speed would be great. Also, I live in America and was wondering how fast fast bowlers of other countries at my age in Australia , England , or India etc are because many people over here my age are much slower than me? Thx

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'm 15 years old and around 5 foot 11 pretty skinny about 125 lbs. I just started really focusing on playing cricket about three months ago and increased my bowling speed from 70 kph to about 115 kph. I don't really work out so any suggestions for increasing my bowling speed would be great. Also, I live in America and was wondering how fast fast bowlers of other countries at my age in Australia , England , or India etc are because many people over here my age are much slower than me? Thx
115 is about as fast as most "fast" 15 year olds can get. I would just wait until you get older and you will get quicker

The only other advice I have for you is to buy Ian Pont's ebook on fast bowling. I have been thinking of dowloading it myself. Despite the Atul Sharma bull**** I would listen to his advice.

Ponty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Of course it is perfectly possible to get faster by maximising key parts of your bowling action. At 15, a speed of 120-125kph would be very good. There are a few nudging 128 kph around but that is not very common. 115 kph (if accurate) isn't bad. I say 'if accurate' because most speed guns I have seen are wildly out. At the The Ultimate Pace Foundation - Home in Bangalore we have students coming for the 7 day pace camps from the US and Canada, as well as India and other Test playing nations. The ages range from 10 through to 30, so we get to see quite a few genuine quicks - some of whom are International (Abhimanyu Mithun) or first class fast bowlers. Even in India, there are some very decent pacers but most, like you, are very slim. S&C (weight training and fitness) usually starts in earnest around 15 years of age and there is a small uptake in speed from that. But by FAR the largest increases in pace come from having an efficient and effective action that makes the most of your natural assets.

Speed is King. If you can get the ball in the right place at high speed you are at another level compared to the thousands of medium pacers who HAVE to rely on swing. seam or something else. Add pace to that and you have a fantastic prospect.

Last edited:

Ahmed554

Cricket Spectator
Hi john..I also live in America and I am 18 and I also started fast bowling before 2 months and found out I had a talent too but then I touched 139 kph and then I found out I was chucking 'My arm was bending more then 15 degrees during arm Rotation'then I started practicing on making it go straight it took a while and my speed dropped tremendously at 85 90s kph however after a hell of practice and injuries due to over practicing I finnaly clocked at 119 kph but I Still have a chucking problem sometimes so plz have someone standing next to the pitch and record your bowling action then watch it in slow motion if Ur arm bends u r chucking which is illegal In cricket if you are not then salutes..Do let us know

JohnJohn123

Cricket Spectator
Hi john..I also live in America and I am 18 and I also started fast bowling before 2 months and found out I had a talent too but then I touched 139 kph and then I found out I was chucking 'My arm was bending more then 15 degrees during arm Rotation'then I started practicing on making it go straight it took a while and my speed dropped tremendously at 85 90s kph however after a hell of practice and injuries due to over practicing I finnaly clocked at 119 kph but I Still have a chucking problem sometimes so plz have someone standing next to the pitch and record your bowling action then watch it in slow motion if Ur arm bends u r chucking which is illegal In cricket if you are not then salutes..Do let us know
Thanks everyone for replying. I've checked my action and fortunately it's fine