• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trouble turning the ball as a finger spinner

sjg2797

Cricket Spectator
Hi, I'm a right hand off spinner bowling finger spin and I struggle to get any turn on my deliveries. What can I do to get more revolutions on the ball? I generally play on pitches conducive to spin bowling.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Well firstly you need to ensure you are getting some overspin on the ball, or else it tends to slide on rather than turn too much. Then you need to pivot, basically you should begin your delivery stride side-on to the batsman, then fully rotate your body as you bowl 180 degrees so you end up facing the opposite direction. A good spread between your pointer and middle finger on your grip will also help the ball come out of the hand well with lots of revs, I also find curling your pointer finger so the ball is released off the side of the finger rather than the face of your finger helps as well.

sjg2797

Cricket Spectator
Thanks that helps a lot, but sometimes if I do use a grip like I lose control of the ball and my length becomes wayward. Is there a way to prevent this?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I hear you, sometimes the ball just comes out **** and every time you go to get the right grip you just can't find it, practice is probably the only remedy, the more you bowl the better you become at these things. Don't go overboard with the wide split between fingers, it has to be comfortable

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thanks that helps a lot, but sometimes if I do use a grip like I lose control of the ball and my length becomes wayward. Is there a way to prevent this?
Net bowling.

Don't sacrifice potency for control with your action as a finger spinner; you've already done that enough with your choice of bowling style. :p

Fnd an action that allows you to put as much work on the ball as possible (Maximas listed some great basic goals) in terms of both over- and side-spin, and then work hard on finding more consistency with it through practice.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
true, but being serious for a minute if you're playing on pitches 'conductive to spin bowling' the mediocrity of off spin that most people get stuck in is somewhat negated

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given that you've chosen the wily art of 'giving the fast bowlers a rest' as your cricketing trade I suggest you get as good at it as possible. There's nothing worse than coming back on after only 6 overs rest because the spinner has gone for 30 off 3 :ph34r: