Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Picking up the ball earlier

Banned

Picking up the ball earlier

Hi All.

Thought I'd see if anyone here has tips on picking up the ball earlier, especially against faster bowlers? I think as simple as it sounds, I hadn't been watching the ball until this year - as in focusing on the ball as the bowler runs in and attentively following the ball onto the bat.

Still struggling a bit when the pace gets above 130kmh to see the ball early enough to do anything other than defend - any tips for seeing quicker bowlers earlier and being able to get better at playing shots against them?

Two main things:

* Being still at delivery; often being forced to defend every quick bowler is a consequence of being on the move when the ball gets delivered (trigger movement may happen too late, for example), so the feet shuffle and never get to the pitch of the ball or get your weight right, so you are forced to defend.

* I generally try and focus on the ball at the point of the bowler's load up, because I see it as the point where the bowler shows the ball to me, and I can see the grip being used.

This is interesting, because I consider it by far my biggest problem as a batsman and I was basically told by a couple of coaches that there isn't a lot I could do to improve it other than repetition.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    This is interesting, because I consider it by far my biggest problem as a batsman and I was basically told by a couple of coaches that there isn't a lot I could do to improve it other than repetition.
    That's my belief too, you need to face the ball at that pace to get used to it and start adjusting, the problem is, there aren't many guys around who deliver 130kph in the nets. The bowling machine is a poor substitute due to the lack of triggers too.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Yeah, I read an interesting bit on this in the Woolmer on Batting book that analysed the way batsmen pick up the ball - can't recall exactly, will look it up during tomorrow's play - that surmised that the rate at which a batsman picks up the line/length of a ball is a major contribution towards how good they are.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Think being still is such a huge thing. You can deduce quicker and more accurately when your eyes are still; if they are moving, and they are trying to measure a moving target, it makes everything so much more difficult.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Think its all about practice and just practice....i try to keep my eyes on the ball from the very beginning as the bowler runs in....
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Bend over earlier tbh.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Thread Information