• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opening the batting

Easto241091

Cricket Spectator
Generally u want a low backlift for opening the batting and generally just work the ball around, turning the strike over.
It's important to play straight, especially early on in the innings. Also leaving the ball go is important so that no unecessary edges occur. Playing the ball late is also vital. Light bats i believe are good to have facing the new ball as they are easier to swing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
When opening would it be better to use a heavier bat or lighter bat? Whats the advantage of using an oval handled bat?
I like a lighter bat when opening as I find it tough to get in good positions hooking and pulling against the quicks with a heavier bat.

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I was wondering...whilst the ball is still new would it be better to play a uppercut or a cross batted cut shot?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd go cross batted. That way if you only get half of it it'll still go for four over the slips. Whichever comes off most often for you though.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Im an opening batsmen and take guard Centre to off, a bit different, but I feel much more comfortable standing there as I used to get bowled on off a fair bit. I think it's essential and opener posseses goog horizontal bat shots such as the pull, cut and to a lesser extent the hook. Other than that, a solid forward and backward defence and you should be fine.