Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Falling away at delivery

State Vice-Captain Captain Cricket's Avatar
    Your bowling arm must come right down brushing past or hitting your left thigh after you release the ball.
    Australian Cricket Team
    Cricket World Cup Champions: 1987, 1999, 2003 and 2007
    ICC Champions Trophy: 2006
    Ashes Champions: 2006/07

Banned
    yea i know that im asking about the front arm.

In the delivery stride you pull it down hard and lock it into the trunk, everyone seems to do it differently.

Im asking where do you lock the front arm when you pull it down when you release the ball? I have never really been taught it people just say pull it down hard and "lock it in"

Do you lock it into the ribs, hip or what?

Ohh ok the front arm, the front arm must go down straight (no particular place, just how you're comfortable) and always be 180 degrees to the bowling arm (so they must be opposite each other except in a straight line).

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Couldn't agree more with the left-arm comments. Was really bad in the past falling away, mainly because my front arm wasn't doing enough. Often fell down the legside because of this.

Vids would be the most helpful really.
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Banned
    I also tend to drag my back foot as im releasing the ball, should i try and drive the knee through like brett lee, that would increase accuracy wouldnt it, it feels like it keeps my more upright.

Yep put a lot of pressure on that back foot, this also helps you keep your balance and prevents you from falling away.

Banned
    what do you mean by pressure on the back foot?

Im talking about when im releasing the ball, my back foot drags instead of coming off the ground and driving the leg through.

When bowling, you have two choices with the back foot. Choice one was my previous post but choice two is not to worry about your back foot whatsoever. Just take a big step forward to crease with your right foot and don't think about your left foot, just go with comfort. Thinking about controlling your body parts too much during bowling won't help you bowl well at all.

Cricket Spectator
    Hi guys.
    I am a right-hand medium bowler. I get natural in-swing to the right-hander. My problem is that I have a little skip before the jump while bowling. When I am bowling well, it doesn't matter too much. However, this skip prevents me from gaining any real rhythm and bowling a little bit quicker. I really want to get rid of this skip and have a smooth run-up to the crease. Any tips/drills to rectify this?

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by RoCricket View Post
    Hi guys.
    I am a right-hand medium bowler. I get natural in-swing to the right-hander. My problem is that I have a little skip before the jump while bowling. When I am bowling well, it doesn't matter too much. However, this skip prevents me from gaining any real rhythm and bowling a little bit quicker. I really want to get rid of this skip and have a smooth run-up to the crease. Any tips/drills to rectify this?
    Perhaps you arre doing this becuase you don't have your run up figured out properly. Some people do funny things before their jump so that they can time their jump right before the crease.

i think what you might try doing is going to the local park and just run and then jump and bowl with no skip. But do this away from a cricket pitch. Without the pressure of worrying about bowling a no ball or jumping at the right time you should be able to eliminate the skip.

When you have eventually done away with the skip. Mark the start of your 'runup' and then just run and bowl when it feels natural - and then mark where you bowled from. then pace out the number of steps you took. this willbe the length of your new run up.

Now you are ready to bowl in the nets.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    That is actually a rather brilliant way of sorting out run-up issues. Can't believe I've never heard of or tried it before.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information