• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Come In Spinner

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I know I have posted similar before, but from being around coaching a while there are a number of stories about Jenner and how he has regressed legspinners he has taken rather than advanced them.

He has turned his relationship and involvement with Warne into a good career travelling the world coaching players but there are many incidents where he has not helped at all.

Despite him being a 'big' name, I wouldnt send a young legspinner to see him.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
On the original topic. I have just had my 1st legspinner selected for junior Provincial cricket in South Africa.

I worked on him on a 1-to-1 basis as well as part of the team I coached.

Its harder than coaching quicks and more difficult for myself as Im a former fast bowler. One of the reasons its tougher is than an area I concentrate on with spinners isnt an issue with quicks. That is pace. Something Im very big on. A leggie has to get his pace right as well as the technical aspects.

In all honesty, I find coaching spinners (leggies especially) a little scary. Id hate to change anything that would cause a guy who rips it to turn the ball less. Ive done well so far, but its always in my mind that a spinner can be easily thown out of sync and lose confidence and a coach can often be responsible.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I don't like Jenner because he told me I was all energy and no turn. To be fair, I could turn the ball...

n1409

Cricket Spectator
TJ produces clones

I recently attended a "Spin Clinic" with Terry Jenner with about 12-15 other legspinners. All the other legspinners had previously been coached by TJ. I stood out like a sore thumb as I hadn't been coached by him but have had similar if not better advances in my career than all the other legspinners. It was obvious that every one of these legspinners had exactly the same action, run up etc. He tried to change my whole run up and action at the age of 19... which is not young by any means.

Basically what I;m trying to say is he is producing clones of his image of the perfect legspinner, and he is not going to get any results from doing so as he is producing a factory load of the same bowler!

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah seen you in that manual, looking sharp

Done my level one but really it is designed for Dads that have hardly played cricket to coach their kids at junior levels. Level 2 and above is more interesting and slightly more testing.

Done level 1 for Australia and England. Both were different in their own ways.
This.

Cbf coaching any more though. Not worth running the risk of going late to my own games and being responsible for 15 violent teenagers.