• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to Bowl Fast?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Seeing as you appear to have cleared off for the night, I'll answer my rhetorical question myself. Absolutely bugger all... except dragging your chest around to a completely incompatible position with the lower half of your body.

Your legs are very very front-on: to the point where you can see the gap between your trouser legs, and you seem to be bowling outswing to the right-hander. There is no remotely viable reason you would want to be looking over your right shoulder at this point in time. This is what it does to your upper body:

The red line is the shoulders; the blue line is the hips. In an ideal action, these lines are parallel. Yours are not parallel - in fact, they're converging somewhere near extra cover.

I would suggest you do the following to your right arm (excuse the crude MS Paint work):

This will move your shoulders to the green line, parallel to your hips. It will also generate extra pace as your right arm will drop first, adding extra momentum to the uncoiling action that brings your left arm around in the bowling motion. Critically, it will get everything pointing in the same direction at release and stop your body fighting with itself in your delivery stride, concentrating your energy on getting the ball to go down the wicket rather than trying to reconcile two arguing forces!

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I've been meaning to get a video of my bowling action up here so the kinks can be worked out. See where I'm going wrong etc.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm no bowling expert, but you look a little bit casual in your run up (especially the first video).

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Well most of these are in the middle of a three or four hour session so I am a litle tired.
@Neil Pickup: Thanks for the tips. Oh...I couldn't see the ms paint arm at first, it is now a lot clearer. This is extremely helpful, thank you very very much.

@Turbinator :dry:

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeh, I was only joking, I do get it a lot though, strangely largely from the West Indian clubs we play.:)

From his username, I thought Turbinator was a sardar too, but I don't think he is.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeh, I was only joking, I do get it a lot though, strangely largely from the West Indian clubs we play.:)

From his username, I thought Turbinator was a sardar too, but I don't think he is.
Haha nice. Anyways, nah I'm not a sardar. And yeah, as Liam said, I was just complimenting you :).

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I had a little bowl in the garden with the new action and it seemed to be coming out reasonably quickly and accurately. I will give you an update on Saturday since I am playing a Forth XI game for my club then.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well most of these are in the middle of a three or four hour session so I am a litle tired.
@Neil Pickup: Thanks for the tips. Oh...I couldn't see the ms paint arm at first, it is now a lot clearer. This is extremely helpful, thank you very very much.

@Turbinator :dry:
Why are you doing a three or four hour session? How many deliveries did you bowl? at 15 I don't think you should be bowling any more then 60 balls in a session.

Any more your just getting fatigued and I think picking up bad trends.

BTW what is your obsession with speed? TBH the fact that your a left arm bowler you've already got an advantage, a lot of batsmen would rather face right handers. I think you should concentrate on getting a bit of swing, especially both ways, that's more important then speed.

I'm no bowling expert at all, just a suggestion.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Agree with Nufan.

I went thru a similar phase. At some point you'll realize that no matter what u do, u wont be able to get any faster. Yet it came quite naturally for others.

Lose the need for speed. Work on control, accuracy, swing, subtleties

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One other thing that isn't really technique that could help your pace Manee, a bit more running and sprinting, as well as bulking up a little bit.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Engle said:
I went thru a similar phase. At some point you'll realize that no matter what u do, u wont be able to get any faster. Yet it came quite naturally for others.
Well, I have put on a good 4-6mph since then which was January, so I think this is the right time to work on it.
One other thing that isn't really technique that could help your pace Manee, a bit more running and sprinting, as well as bulking up a little bit.
Yes...sounds simple but I will start it in the winter. Harrowdrive.com gives good tips on cricket fitness.
Strictly, I am not allowed to eat beef...but I always love a good steak :)

I have another question, there seems to be something wrong with my jump, it looks like I don't attack the crease, what can I do to combat this? I have tried most things but it ends up the same.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Flexibility must be maintained though while you're bulking up. Can cause injuries later on.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Flexibility must be maintained though while you're bulking up. Can cause injuries later on.
Bulking up is over-rated, atleast in the context of fast bowling, simply being bigger isnt going to make you any quicker. You hear of players like Lance Klusener, James Anderson and even Flintoff who up until about 17 were skinny and weak and considered medium pacers even at junior level...then suddenly they hit the gym got stronger and got really quick.
But strength is far more important than size, bulking up can lead to less flexibility (more injury risk and actually reducing the speed at which you're able to rotate your arm) plus more strain on your knee's, ankles and feet (notice the bulkier bowlers going around seem to have far more trouble with injuries particularly ankles than their leaner counterparts eg Shoaib, Watson and Flintoff when compared to McGrath).

It is possible to get stronger without 'bulking up' and thats a more beneficial approach for fast bowlers. When I was 16 I bowled at 75mph...since then I've 'bulked up' so to speak and I'd average 65 now lol.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
I can't comment greatley as the videos don't show brilliant amounts of stuff. But ill throw my opinion

Attack the crease. There are two ways you can bowl quick. And there both needed really. But you need to really pound in if you want to bowl fast.Make your jump (Delivery stride I beileve its called) alot more pronounced. . This will alow you to transfer alot of the energy in the run up into the delievery. And most of all get the arm speed going. Really give it some revs. And follow through with a bit of vigour , but not like your running after the ball, make sure its a proper follow through.

I've probably been a bit general there , but I think you can pick up on some things.

Ponty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
How To Bowl Fast - The Secret

Nice to read some really positive views on my book, The Fast Bowler's Bible. Thanks everyone for that.:)

The book is being reprinted after it sold it in 10 months! But you can get a copy direct from my cricket coaching website www.maverickscricket.com and I will sign every copy that's ordered.

There are also some basic hints on how to bowl faster on the site, plus we have a new Cricket Academy opening in Jan 2008 until March 2008.

Ian Pont
ECB National Skills Sets Coach
Essex Bowling Coach
www.maverickscricket.com